Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2018, 06:32 PM   #1

Tappet cover

Soo I have a front engine flat nose bluebird with a 24 valve Cummins And I’m pretty sure my tappet cover is the cause of a pretty large oil leak I have developed. I haven’t cleaned all the way up to know for sure but all signs point to this. Has anyone fixed/replaced this. How tough of a job is this to take on myself. Any info or advise would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

EscapeOrdinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 06:56 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
I've been into 24 valve Cummins ISB (5.9) and ISC (8.3) engines, though not in the front engine Blue Bird application. If there's anything installed crossing over the top of the engine you'll have to move that aside first, but once it's clear, the cover comes off and goes back on easily. It's just held by 5 bolts. You'd probably want to replace the bushing around each bolt as well as the gasket under the cover. Depending on your inclination for "while I'm in the area, I might as well...." you might consider checking valve clearances while you're in there.

Do you have a free engine owner's account on Cummins QuickServe Online? You just need your engine serial number to get started. They have parts diagrams available there with part numbers for basically everything on the engine. These come in handy particularly if you want to search for aftermarket parts (www.finditparts.com for example). Being a 24 valve 5.9 you have lots of options for getting those parts -- a Cummins distributor, a Dodge truck dealer, pretty much any auto parts store, etc. Of course for most of these sources you'll be more likely to find the parts in the application guide for 1998-2002 (?) Ram 2500/3500..

If you do want to adjust the valve clearances then also look in QSOL for the instructions/specs for that. And look for the "engine barring tool." It's a little sprocket tool that engages with the ring gear around the flex plate -- the same teeth the starter motor engages. This tool costs something like $30 from Cummins, but it makes it SO easy to rotate the ISB/ISC engines by hand.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018, 09:42 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 2 elderly children, 1 cat
Maybe some help https://binged.it/2OPgARY