Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #1
Skoolie

Tc1000 BB starter

So I cant seem to get the bus turned on. It's a 2000 bluebird tc1000 Cummins 5.9 24 valve diesel. I got it down to a short to ground issue as my fuse keep blowing when I try to crank. Thinking of replacing my starter but dont know which one to buy
Any help would be amazing as this is my full time house and. currently am stuck at a friends

carneiro1292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2020, 04:51 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Which fuse are you blowing? The starter isn't connected via a fuse.
Old 01-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #3
Skoolie

It's a 30amp fuse. Everytime I turn the key and try to start it blows
Attached Thumbnails
1579983212982598667315381689577.jpg  
Old 01-25-2020, 02:16 PM   #4
Skoolie

Anyways to bypass
Old 01-25-2020, 02:49 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
do you have the fuse box diagram that tells what that fuse serves?
that will help.
but a 30 amp fuse is big enough for some ignition solenoids.
i would bet your starter solenoid is hung up or has welded itself closed.
of course i dont know your bus but.
find your starter solenoid which is either remotely mounted where the battery positive/ hot wire from the batteries go directly to it as well as your ignition wire or it is mounted directly to the starter if the battery battery positive and ignition wire go directly to the starter.
several things to try once you find your starter solenoid that any novice with a helper and some wheel chocks can do.
old school methods once you find your starter solenoid and will explain once you find it and know where its at.
simple test
both require a screw driver with a decent handle
and the first one only requires a hammer or a decent weight wrench.
i can walk you through both but we need you to find your starter solenoid first and let us know which one you have and then we can give better advice.
with you blowing fusing on every attempt i think your solenoid is already stuck and that 30amp fuse is your ignition wire to the solenoid.
just my opinion.
good luck
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 02:52 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
pictures of your starter and under the hood the stuff thats mounted to the inside fender wells and firewall would help us help you
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 03:38 PM   #7
Skoolie

So I did the screwdriver test idk if I did it proper but I got sparks for days and still no ignition. Banged of the starter and solenoid with a hammer and still nothing
Attached Thumbnails
20200125_133513.jpg   20200125_133508.jpg  
Old 01-25-2020, 03:47 PM   #8
Skoolie

When I did the screwdriver thing I put the driver inbetween these and it sparked like a mofo but still no start. We had the key turned one click where the dash lights all turned on(again I'm no mechanic at all) but I learned what I could online the last few days.
Attached Thumbnails
20200125_134345.jpg  
Old 01-25-2020, 04:48 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
The upper post in that picture looks like a ground to me. That would definitely spark if it is. The terminal you want is the big one with the red cables and a small one.
It looks like your starter solenoid is similar to this one. Jump between the big and small terminals at the left of in this. picture.
https://www.amazon.com/Starter-Dodge.../dp/B00R1EIMA8
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:14 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Time to disconnect your batteries and clean the starter pos and neg connections, each wire has a lug so clean them so they shine.

Disconnect the neg cable first, then the pos.

The neg looks like it is badly corroding. Dremel tool makes short work of these situations.
Failing that some baking soda made into a paste then applied to the corrosion and sanded off however you can.
Write down what wires go on each post and reconnect properly before reconnecting both the battery terminals, pos cable goes back on the battery first, then the neg.

Where the fuse is blowing, you may have corrosion all in behind on that fuse block where wire terminations are. Worth a look when you have the batteries disconnected.

John
Old 01-28-2020, 10:12 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
The upper post in that picture looks like a ground to me. That would definitely spark if it is. The terminal you want is the big one with the red cables and a small one.
It looks like your starter solenoid is similar to this one. Jump between the big and small terminals at the left of in this. picture.
https://www.amazon.com/Starter-Dodge.../dp/B00R1EIMA8
Follow this.

Jumping those 2 large terminals is doing nothing but throwing sparks. The lug towards the bottom of your pic is the positive lug for the starter. The lug towards the top of your pic is a ground lug. Your essentially short circuiting the battery terminals this way, so stop doing that.

That's a mitsubishi gear reduction type starter. They're used pretty widely by many different manufacturers, and as said earlier, you can jump them by using a simple wire from the large starter lug to the smaller one. They can usually be rebuilt fairly easily if one is so inclined.

As far as blowing the fuse, you'll have to look and see what it all powers, a wiring diagram would be a big help, but whatever it powers, there's shorting so look for chafed or bare wires on the circuit.