Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-30-2022, 05:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 24-Valve 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 67
Trans Shifter Adjustments

Hey Friends -

Well - I took the plunge and replaced my 545 with an Allison 2500. So far so good. One hang up, though. It was advertised to NOT have Park, which I trusted, but after installation, we realized it DID have a park gear. So it no longer matched my 545 shifter. So I purchased a new Allison 2000 compatible shifter and the matching shift cable. The issue is that after installation, the shift points don’t seem to match. It’s almost like the cable length is not sufficient to get all the way from P down to 1. And the middle points don’t line up between the shifter and the transmission. I’m hoping there is a trick to adjusting these cables so that I can match them up. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance!

OldWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 09:12 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWillys View Post
Hey Friends -

Well - I took the plunge and replaced my 545 with an Allison 2500. So far so good. One hang up, though. It was advertised to NOT have Park, which I trusted, but after installation, we realized it DID have a park gear. So it no longer matched my 545 shifter. So I purchased a new Allison 2000 compatible shifter and the matching shift cable. The issue is that after installation, the shift points don’t seem to match. It’s almost like the cable length is not sufficient to get all the way from P down to 1. And the middle points don’t line up between the shifter and the transmission. I’m hoping there is a trick to adjusting these cables so that I can match them up. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance!

Don’t know how to fix your problem but I can offer you a link to Allison trouble shooting manuals.

Hope this helps!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 11:14 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Don’t know how to fix your problem but I can offer you a link to Allison trouble shooting manuals.

Hope this helps!
Thanks a lot! I’ll check it out. Thanks!
Old 07-31-2022, 02:17 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
there is geometry involved.. your new allison shifter with a 'P' likely has multiple positions to set the cable and the amoutn the cable moves per notch on the shifter.. this is adjustable.. you need to adjust those plates and screws so it pushes / pulls as much cable per shift as your 545 shifter did.. sometimes the manufacturer publishes the positions for various transmissions..

and it may be you need to use a new cable.. in my case my 545 cable will not have the proper travel so I bought my new shifter with a new cable that has more travel..

I havent yet installed my 'P' shifter however i did get the plates and positions correct to match my genometry i just have to mount it up...
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:25 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
there is geometry involved.. your new allison shifter with a 'P' likely has multiple positions to set the cable and the amoutn the cable moves per notch on the shifter.. this is adjustable.. you need to adjust those plates and screws so it pushes / pulls as much cable per shift as your 545 shifter did.. sometimes the manufacturer publishes the positions for various transmissions..

and it may be you need to use a new cable.. in my case my 545 cable will not have the proper travel so I bought my new shifter with a new cable that has more travel..

I havent yet installed my 'P' shifter however i did get the plates and positions correct to match my genometry i just have to mount it up...
Thanks, ‘Kid -

I did buy a new cable to match the new shifter as I thought that might be my initial problem. I think they are close to the same, but needed a new one anyway.

If I may ask - how did you set the geometry? Did you use the old shifter as a guide? Use an instruction sheet? Get settings from manufacture? (no documentation came with mine…). Or did you just know…?

Thanks a lot! I’m optimistic I can make it work! Thanks!
Old 07-31-2022, 03:52 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I used my old shifter as a guide . On my old shifter. R-N-D were latched meaning I had to push the button in to go across those gears. So I measured the amount of cable that moved from R to N and then N to D

Going from D to 3,2,1 wasn’t latched so the shifter is just one slot and doesn’t care (the transmission has the “clicks” for those ..

After I did it I realized I probably could’ve measured the distance from the pivot on the trans and then made the distance on the pivot of the shifter match…
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:02 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Besides adjusting cable length, you might have to adjust the length of the attachment points on the levers. Measure the full length of travel on the transmission lever and compare it to the length of travel of the shift lever. You're looking for full travel of the dash control lever and full travel at the transmission lever.
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote