Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-30-2022, 05:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Illinois
Posts: 14
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 24-Valve 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 67
Trans Shifter Adjustments

Hey Friends -

Well - I took the plunge and replaced my 545 with an Allison 2500. So far so good. One hang up, though. It was advertised to NOT have Park, which I trusted, but after installation, we realized it DID have a park gear. So it no longer matched my 545 shifter. So I purchased a new Allison 2000 compatible shifter and the matching shift cable. The issue is that after installation, the shift points donít seem to match. Itís almost like the cable length is not sufficient to get all the way from P down to 1. And the middle points donít line up between the shifter and the transmission. Iím hoping there is a trick to adjusting these cables so that I can match them up. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance!

OldWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 09:12 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
ewo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Miami, Fl.
Posts: 1,065
Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldWillys View Post
Hey Friends -

Well - I took the plunge and replaced my 545 with an Allison 2500. So far so good. One hang up, though. It was advertised to NOT have Park, which I trusted, but after installation, we realized it DID have a park gear. So it no longer matched my 545 shifter. So I purchased a new Allison 2000 compatible shifter and the matching shift cable. The issue is that after installation, the shift points donít seem to match. Itís almost like the cable length is not sufficient to get all the way from P down to 1. And the middle points donít line up between the shifter and the transmission. Iím hoping there is a trick to adjusting these cables so that I can match them up. Can someone help me? Thanks in advance!

Donít know how to fix your problem but I can offer you a link to Allison trouble shooting manuals.

Hope this helps!
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 11:14 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Illinois
Posts: 14
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 24-Valve 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Donít know how to fix your problem but I can offer you a link to Allison trouble shooting manuals.

Hope this helps!
Thanks a lot! Iíll check it out. Thanks!
OldWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 02:17 PM   #4
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 17,156
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
there is geometry involved.. your new allison shifter with a 'P' likely has multiple positions to set the cable and the amoutn the cable moves per notch on the shifter.. this is adjustable.. you need to adjust those plates and screws so it pushes / pulls as much cable per shift as your 545 shifter did.. sometimes the manufacturer publishes the positions for various transmissions..



and it may be you need to use a new cable.. in my case my 545 cable will not have the proper travel so I bought my new shifter with a new cable that has more travel..



I havent yet installed my 'P' shifter however i did get the plates and positions correct to match my genometry i just have to mount it up...
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:25 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Illinois
Posts: 14
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 24-Valve 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
there is geometry involved.. your new allison shifter with a 'P' likely has multiple positions to set the cable and the amoutn the cable moves per notch on the shifter.. this is adjustable.. you need to adjust those plates and screws so it pushes / pulls as much cable per shift as your 545 shifter did.. sometimes the manufacturer publishes the positions for various transmissions..



and it may be you need to use a new cable.. in my case my 545 cable will not have the proper travel so I bought my new shifter with a new cable that has more travel..



I havent yet installed my 'P' shifter however i did get the plates and positions correct to match my genometry i just have to mount it up...
Thanks, ĎKid -

I did buy a new cable to match the new shifter as I thought that might be my initial problem. I think they are close to the same, but needed a new one anyway.

If I may ask - how did you set the geometry? Did you use the old shifter as a guide? Use an instruction sheet? Get settings from manufacture? (no documentation came with mineÖ). Or did you just knowÖ?

Thanks a lot! Iím optimistic I can make it work! Thanks!
OldWillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 03:52 PM   #6
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 17,156
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I used my old shifter as a guide . On my old shifter. R-N-D were latched meaning I had to push the button in to go across those gears. So I measured the amount of cable that moved from R to N and then N to D

Going from D to 3,2,1 wasn’t latched so the shifter is just one slot and doesn’t care (the transmission has the “clicks” for those ..

After I did it I realized I probably could’ve measured the distance from the pivot on the trans and then made the distance on the pivot of the shifter match…
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 04:02 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Posts: 37
Besides adjusting cable length, you might have to adjust the length of the attachment points on the levers. Measure the full length of travel on the transmission lever and compare it to the length of travel of the shift lever. You're looking for full travel of the dash control lever and full travel at the transmission lever.
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.