Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2020, 06:10 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Turbo coupling o-ring

I had to replace my side mounted fan since it had many chips. To do so required removing an elbow coming off the turbo. Simple enough and removed the V-band clamp and off she was. I noticed the o-ring that was in there was broken in two and hard as can be. Is there a special o-ring that needs to be obtained or can I put any o-ring that fits. In this case it is 2-1/2" and appears to be about 1/16" thick.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5249.jpg  

Old 11-24-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
for something like that I would call a bl;uebird dealer with your VIN, at the very least they should be able to get you a part number that you can either buy from them or will cross refgerence online to get one.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:59 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Yeah I told the guy they will be my best friends at the BlueBird parts house. I have a credit card reserved just for the bus! The problem is the place is a good 45-50 min drive from my house.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:10 PM   #4
Bus Geek

if its not hindering your project most places will ship.. I have a school bus parts house thats about 50 minutes from which stocks many of the pieces i use in my restorations.. I have them ship all the time even though i loive close just be ause i dont necessarily need the stuff right away..
Old 11-24-2020, 07:47 PM   #5
Bus Nut

I am anxious and OCD to a degree. It won't hamper my progress but it does mess with my orderly method of putting it all back together. Something I really want to accomplish this holiday weekend. I only get maybe an hour or two a day to work on the bus. Once it gets dark, I give up. Known to mess things up in a haste. Funny how replacing the hoses led me to find a missing nut on the turbo/manifold connection, a broken O-ring and a small tear in the silicone intercooler connectors. I ordered some nice upgraded silicone hose couplings from HPS. Think I spent over $300 with them. Found some small leaks in the cooling fan hoses/sensor Tee connections and some chafed 1/4" air lines from the transmission cooler to surge tank. Honestly, I don't want to deal with stupid crap on the side of the road.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:12 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
I am anxious and OCD to a degree. It won't hamper my progress but it does mess with my orderly method of putting it all back together. Something I really want to accomplish this holiday weekend. I only get maybe an hour or two a day to work on the bus. Once it gets dark, I give up. Known to mess things up in a haste. Funny how replacing the hoses led me to find a missing nut on the turbo/manifold connection, a broken O-ring and a small tear in the silicone intercooler connectors. I ordered some nice upgraded silicone hose couplings from HPS. Think I spent over $300 with them. Found some small leaks in the cooling fan hoses/sensor Tee connections and some chafed 1/4" air lines from the transmission cooler to surge tank. Honestly, I don't want to deal with stupid crap on the side of the road.

TOTALLY understand that.. id rasther spoend a few more $$ at home fixing things that could possibly break rather than spend a lot more $$ on the road waiting for a mobile rig or getting a tow!.

I have had to learn to re-order pieces of my projects to wait on parts.. i get an idea and wasnt to roll full-speed-ahead on it and nothing else matters.. once I started restoring casrs and building hotrods i realized id never get anythinbg done with that mentality as id always be stopped waiting on parts or tools... so i started frorcing myself to go work on another part of the project .. and of course as luck would have it, the bus im currently using the most is the one I had set the most projects on.. so I dont want to tear it apart and disable it waiting on parts..

plan B is I work on my Classic Superior while waiting on parts for my DEV bus.. probably to get the Superior back on the road about the time the road-salt flies and grounds it for the winter
Old 11-25-2020, 02:14 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Is that an actual round o-ring? I thought they used a lathe cut seal there, which wouldn't "technically" be an o-ring. Regardless, cummins cummins shops and all school bus shops should have that on the shelf. If you can get a viton o-ring that fits and seals, it would probably work.
Old 11-25-2020, 05:34 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Thanks guys. As dumb as I can be, I didn't even think about going to the bus parts place for a simple thing like an O-ring. That said, I had to pick up two hydraulic fan hoses since the ones I am replacing were deteriorated. Most of them if not all were already replaced but they left two for me to do I guess. So while there I did ask about the O-ring and they could not find it. The parts guy is awesome as he could have given up and let it go with a "Sorry, I don't think there's one supposed to be in there" but he took his time and looked at several screens where he did find it! Kudos to a guy with experience. He is not your typical 20 something year old auto parts kid. So I left with two hydraulic hoses, a filter for my reservoir, O-ring and a dipstick for my transmission since they just shoved a rubber cork for a dipstick and called it good! Goes to show that not all school district repair shops give a $hit about their work. I don't believe that buying a bus gives you the piece of mind that it was well maintained. My experience sure altered my mind. That said, almost everything under the bus is secured with many, many zip ties and long gone are the proper clips and adel fasteners.
So anyway, I'll post a pic later of the O-ring and part number if anyone finds themselves in this predicament.

Again, thanks Chris and Booyah for the inspiration! Now I can resume my OCD disease and conform to my regular scheduled method or reinstallation of well spent money.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:12 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Obligatory picture

The o-ring part number is 3883284-220 $6.81
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5251.jpg