Old 02-05-2020, 09:34 AM   #1

Upgraded lift pump

I have a 2000 Blue Bird with the 5.9 24v and my lift pump is on the way out. Does anyone know of or purchased a better than stock lift pump for their bus?

I've contacted FASS directly and they don't have anything based on my ESN or even a recommendation.

Even with only 64k on it, it has a remanufactures VP pump on it, so I'm assuming it's gone out before and trashed it. I obviously don't want to do that again.

Thanks
Richard
RallyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:33 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
You'll have to do something similar to stock, other wise the check engine light will come on. I believe the ecm monitors pump amperage and will throw a code if it's out of spec.

Various manufacturers have an updated version. The original pump was a vane pump that wasn't really designed to pull fuel long distances like they had it installed. The update is an inline pump that is a bolt in place option.

Look up delphi # hfp953 for the updated version. Carter and airtex also make a version of this as well.

As far as fass or other aftermarket companies go, I've never used them in commercial service, so I can't tell you how well they'd work.

Be sure to replace the fuel filter and water seperator when replacing the fuel pump

The original vane style pump is still available. If you're feeling ambitious, I know guys that have made a harness extension and relocated that pump back near the water seperator with good results.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:50 AM   #3

Yes I had an intermittent ses and just found out this weekend it is from low fuel pressure. The filters have been changed in the last 1000 miles.

I will look into those other pumps. I have no problem relocating it if it helps but they fail in the pick ups with a much shorter pull too. So not sure that'll be worth it.
RallyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:33 AM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins ISC 260HP/660Q/MD3060 6spd
Rated Cap: 81
This is a long thread but it might have some useful information for you. There are some fass pump models listed in here that would probably work for you.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289659
Bon Voyage is offline   Reply With Quote