Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2010, 03:51 PM   #1
maj
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: spartan
Engine: 5.9 cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Vibration at Idle

Hi, I have a 1995 carpenter flat nose front engine, 40 ft. bus. It has a 5.9 cummins with 125,000 miles on it. It runs great but at Idle it vibrates the bus. If I take if just off idle it smooths out. I was told that is normal. I was wondering if I can do anything. Maybe get the idle turned up some? Any Ideas?

Thanks MAJ

maj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 03:56 PM   #2

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Re: Vibration at Idle

My 86 Intl does the same thing. It drives me nuts at idle. I was going to try to bump the throttle a hair.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 45
Re: Vibration at Idle

Ok, I am not an expert, but this is what I found. I bought a set of used 7mm injectors due to a recent head change. I put it back together, and had a very rough running bus. (89 model with 5.9 BTA, and a VE rotary pump).

First make sure all cylinders are firing. Do this with a cold engine, and stay clear of the turbo. Start the engine and feel each exhaust flange. You will notice that each will warm within a minute. Often there is a cold one or two. Make notes on these.

Shut the engine down , remove the injectors from the cold cylinders. Have a shop check them for spray etc. Mine were not spraying, but dripping. You will see this with black smoke in the exhaust too.

6 new injector nozzles, the engine runs like a smooth diesel...

Remember, i am new to diesels, but have many years on Jet engines.
Apacheglen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 07:59 PM   #4
Bus Nut

poor Idle

If the engine has glow plugs, remove and check compression. Replace the plugs after noting the compression values. Add a quart of Power service to 20 gallons of diesel fuel. After 250-350 miles, check the compression again. Any increase of compression will be noticed and the idle will be improved. Doing a compression test is very important to check engine condition. Some times I add a quart of water thru the top of the engine with the air cleaner removed. Make the engine turn about 2000 RPM and pour water into engine slowly so engine does not stall. Place an empty paper box at rear end of exhaust pipe to give evidence of removed carbon. Keep engine at 2K rpms for a short time. Allow engine to idle for a couple minutes. This is a quicky tune up. Frank
frank-id is offline   Reply With Quote