Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Question Anybody near Camarillo?

Hey folks! We'll be starting our build in about March 2020 in Camarillo, just wondering if any of ya'll live nearby, I might ask you for advice on where to buy, etc, or invite you round for dinner!

- Andrew

WLRoadScholars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:21 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile so we know what bus and where you're from. Makes it easier to deal with your questions.
You're starting your build in March, but don't have a bus yet?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 06:02 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Aye, I'm in the UK until February, and once I'm over in the US with Dakota we're going to find a vehicle and get down to it! So all our plans, etc, are centred around Camarillo currently.

I'll check out the profile info settings thanks, I think a lot of it doesn't currently apply as we don't have a vehicle yet though!

We're looking for a 40ft rear engine skoolie with the extra height (I'm 6ft myself!). Fingers crossed! How long does it usually take folks to find the right bus for them? We can't buy until I'm over there alas, because I'll need to physically travel to inspect the bus before we can make any sort of purchase, and get it checked over by a mechanic, etc.
WLRoadScholars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #4
FAC
Almost There

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cummins 24valve 5.9
Rated Cap: 84
I grew up in Camarillo and lived there until I was 19 it’s a nice town. I got my first bus from first baptist Camarillo and did most of the conversion while I was still there. It’s a fairly large town so it has a Home Depot, Walmart etc. when you need some random doohickeys and don’t know exactly what it is or how to do it the do it best hardware store is the place to go,
At least when I lived there. They always had more knowledgeable staff working there than anybody else. For buying steel there is a place in Ventura about 30 min away. Ventura has a lot more contractor supply type stores for when you want a better deal than homedepot or a better selection. Los Angeles is also only 1:30min away and you can pretty literally get anything you could possibly want there and find some good deals on flooring and tires and larger items like that. And definitely put it on your list to eat at taqueria el tapatio #2 their carnitas is excellent and the best burrito I have ever eaten. I didn’t have any problems parking my bus at my house either but I lived about 400yards past the city limit so there were really no rules to break parking a large vehicle. I do know people have had trouble inside the city limits with parking. Overall it’s a friendly place though
FAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:19 AM   #5

You have big plans and ambitions. I think you will succeed. Happiness.
David Springfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 01:52 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner HDX
Engine: Cat C7 7.3L
Rated Cap: 90 Passenger
I will be starting my own 40ft RE build in and around Camarillio (Ventura/Oxnard) myself starting in late Dec. I'm still trying to figure out where I'm going to park this thing.

I'd be happy to colab on construction, etc... I've been researching my project for 2 years now. finally going to be in a position to get it started, when I'm back in a month-ish.
enigmamdw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camarillo