Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2009, 02:32 AM   #1
Bus Nut

Re: Anyone make fire pies while camping?

And now to make Smitty feel old...

Your fire pizza, I figured out how to make those in the microwave when I was eight... Still make them from time to time.

Salami isnt bad on them. Try putting mild salsa instead of spaghetti sauce.

Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I have been known to make them with ranch dressing from time to time, not as good though, but interesting...

...But then again, I also make Sauted Onion and Bacon Pancakes. Bacon in tiny strips, drain the oils, mix bacon and onions into the batter than use butter (smart balance works great, tastes more like butter than butter) and cook normally.
Old 09-01-2009, 02:58 AM   #3
Bus Nut

You top them with Sour Cream and/or salsa. But nothing sweet, it kinda clashes with the caramelized sugars of the onions.

I haven't really eaten anything that could be considered out there to the average person... I tend to eat normal stuff combined in odd ways. I make a doctored spaghetti sauce with chunky salsa. It works cause the salsa adds alot of pre-merged flavors that fit right into the normal Jar sauce. I have made soups by just taking a bunch of left over stuff, like tater-tots, mixed vegies, hamburger helpers and rice-a-roni... Multiple attempts at fried rice, normally with mystery beef, but once with ground buffalo.

Just a matter of looking in the fridge, and asking, What can I make out of this stuff?
Old 09-01-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
Bus Nut

The thing of it is, It all tastes great. It just sounds odd. Culinary curiosity pays off with interesting finds and new likes.

Alot of Americans are too square, and don't do enough to reshape themselves. Hard, Rigid, angular... Stuck in the box.

It took 14 years of complaining from me, and about the last 5 from his current girlfriend, to get him to eat anything outside of hamburgers and cheesy mac (American foods). When he goes to a world buffet, he would only eat the fried chicken and spaghetti.

Now he eats rice and salsa. Its not much, but its a step in the right direction. We will keep working on making him more flexible.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:33 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Try this... week old white rice, various pilafs, various mixed veggies, some polish sausage, hot sauce of choice, maybe hot dogs and a little jar'd spaghetti sauce/salsa...

Added together, you have a Jumbalya...

Use the same stuff and add some soy sauce to the rice instead of hot sauce and you have a semi decent Fried Rice. Just make sure that the white rice is no longer sticky or moist, otherwise it will just gum together when you try to fry it.

New Dishes from Culinary Re-Runs...
Old 09-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #6
Bus Nut

I can understand that. And no, No repeat visits. It tastes the way that it should, just made out of the left overs instead of having to make from scratch.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:52 AM   #7
Bus Nut

funny you post this here Smitty...just last weekend we where camping with some friends and one of their friends pulls out one of those pie maker thingys. I put it right there on the list to find me some of those. I have never seen them before.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:46 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

These are one of my fondest childhood camping memories!! we used pie fillling and then flopped them out in a plate of powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.
By the way...Wal-Mart sells these irons in the camping stuff section. Unless that stuff has been put away already to make way for the Christmas stuff. My local Wal-Mart still has them. I dont know the price though. They are cheapy aluminum or pot metal with teflon inside.
I took my cast iron pie irons out on Labor Day weekend. Trying to remember the secrets learned from watching my dad do it when I was younger. I remember to get a good bed of coals going and my mom would butter the heck out of the bread and apply the filling, then dad would wear a welding glove and wipe the excess bread off the edges and put the irons in the fire. I got a couple decent pies out of the irons that were edible. One burnt real bad but the dog didnt seem to mind. (I gave it to her AFTER it cooled off) But anyway the girlfriend had never heard of these things before and I really wanted to get it figured out.
I just need more practice.

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote