Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2017, 10:20 PM   #1
Skoolie

Artist for hire

I bought a skoolie in Oregon. I'm coming out to pick it up in a couple weeks. I wanted to rent a space to park while I did some work and explored the area. I also was going to contact a body shop to see about painting part of it to make it legal. I saw an ad for a mural artist. Asked him if he'd be up to added some "hippie ****" like flowers and peace signs. Not only is he on board but he found me a place to park it inside while I live in it and he paints it.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044R using Tapatalk

Gypsy Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:31 PM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Clipper View Post
I bought a skoolie in Oregon. I'm coming out to pick it up in a couple weeks. I wanted to rent a space to park while I did some work and explored the area. I also was going to contact a body shop to see about painting part of it to make it legal. I saw an ad for a mural artist. Asked him if he'd be up to added some "hippie ****" like flowers and peace signs. Not only is he on board but he found me a place to park it inside while I live in it and he paints it.

It's actually a "she" artist. Oops

Old 08-29-2017, 06:24 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
now *THATS* totally cool!!! and cant wait to see what she does with your bus too!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:38 AM   #4
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
It's actually a "she" artist. Oops
Oh, you mean a shartist.

I talked to a rattle can artist at a festival. He did these surreal Sci-Fi landscapes. I wanted for him to paint my bus, but he said his art only works horizontally- it sags when done in the vertical.

Still trying to make it 'special'.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 07:42 AM   #5
Skoolie

I was thinking what the hell is a shartist and what I came up with wasn't pleasant.
Yeah the artist sounds really cool. It's Oregon so of course she is!
She has ideas which is way more than what I have. I was just thinking about how the hell I was going to paint this beast when I was looking for services on Craigslist and there she was!

Old 08-29-2017, 07:45 AM   #6
Skoolie

You could always lay your bus on its side while your sci Fi dude did his work. Or you could hang out by the train yard and find a hoodlum to do his magic with a few spray cans.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:53 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins, 643
Quote:
You could always lay your bus on its side while your sci Fi dude did his work. Or you could hang out by the train yard and find a hoodlum to do his magic with a few spray cans.

I have seen a few of those train cars that are amazing some of the hoodlums have so much talent! A bus would be a great "canvas"
Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #8
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I have seen a few of those train cars that are amazing some of the hoodlums have so much talent! A bus would be a great "canvas"
I seriously considered, but ultimately decided the only thing less welcome in a campground than a skoolie is a graffiti-tagged skoolie.

Click image for larger version

Name:	graffiti-art-small.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	16127

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tags graffiti art.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	16128
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:24 PM   #9
Almost There

I met a guy at Maker Faire who has a special automatic spray paint can. Somehow it figures out it's location over an art piece and determines if it needs to spray or not. You just have to program it with the image you want and then slowly move the can around the area to be painted.

I imagined it would be great for murals inside a plain white box type apartment but it might be good for a bus too.

A good tool for when your imagination is better than your painting skill.

I'm thinking that a vinyl wrap might be the way to go for a simple Schoolie "paint job". Chinese Vinyl is getting pretty cheap and Schoolies don't have a bunch of curves so it might be easier than paint and not too expensive, it just might have a poor lifespan.

It's too bad that those two options don't include any storage like your artist does.
Drop out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2017, 07:43 PM   #10
Bus Geek

I love the idea of a graffiti bus... im one of those few out there in this world that loves graffiti in cities..

-Christopher
Old 09-27-2017, 10:03 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
That is cool! I wish I had that kind of talent.
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 06:22 AM   #12
Bus Geek

One of tthe guys with a bus over on bcm had an artist spray paint his bus with awesome koi/asian theme, turned out awesome and all done with cans!
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:04 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Can he do smurfs?

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:37 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Smurfs! How juvenile. Now if yer talkin' Rainbows & Unicorns...that's art!

But seriously...good lookin spray bomb work there. In Houston, the city fought graffiti style art for years. Now...they pay the artists very handsomely to decorate utility boxes and such with the same work they used to arrest them for. And it looks fantastic.

Is this a great country or what?!
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:30 PM   #15
Bus Nut

I just want jokey. Also on my hardbody truck once it recovers from bambicide

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 07:58 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
This is a cool thread worth reviving.
We've been seeing a resurgence of street art in central FL, and the idea of a rattle can mural bus is starting to really capture my imagination.
Saw this on a wall in Orlando where we were hanging out Saturday night and thought how awesome it would look on a bus-
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 08:09 AM   #17
Bus Geek

theres quite a bit of that popping up in st pete too..

in columbus a popular thing for people moving into Loft apartments to do is to graffitti one or more large walls (inside).. and the apartment people allow it as long as you protect the rest of the palce from spray and drips..

another pipular thing is painting walls with whiteboard paint (inside) and everyone who comes to visit can put their update on your wall. ive seen a couple places with update-able walls outside.. where they will let you Tag it. they hand you the can and you make your mark..

I love this stuff!! be cool if you had a bus like that... you start out and as you travel around, people can put a little piece of art on it.. airbrush or sign it, etc..
-Christopher
Old 06-04-2018, 08:13 AM   #18
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post

I love this stuff!! be cool if you had a bus like that... you start out and as you travel around, people can put a little piece of art on it.. airbrush or sign it, etc..
-Christopher
Exactly!
We're thinking it would be a great way to have a unique and colorful bus. And also for meeting talented and creative folks all over the place.
IDK how the city would react. But if its titled as a MH they really can't do much AFAIK.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:31 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Someone has to say it. As much as I love the idea, I feel sure that it will lead to a 21st century resurgence of the "get that damn hippie bus outta our town right now!" meme. You will be a colorful attention getter and conversation starter, but you will be the one who gets overnight parking at the Walmart in Bumf**k, Egypt shut down. For you, me, and the guy with the pastel aquamarine bus over there.

Think about it before you do it. Everyone will like it, for about 20 minutes. Forget any access to any privately run campgrounds.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:41 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Someone has to say it. As much as I love the idea, I feel sure that it will lead to a 21st century resurgence of the "get that damn hippie bus outta our town right now!" meme. You will be a colorful attention getter and conversation starter, but you will be the one who gets overnight parking at the Walmart in Bumf**k, Egypt shut down. For you, me, and the guy with the pastel aquamarine bus over there.

Think about it before you do it. Everyone will like it, for about 20 minutes. Forget any access to any privately run campgrounds.
There are colorful buses with funky murals all over downtown Mt Dora and no one's running them out of town. They're all "hippied up" and giving tours and taking folks on chartered trips.
My bus isn't for camping out at rv parks anyhow. Its for hauling my friends around and stuff. Going to concerts, the beaches, etc.
I envision an American urban take on the Guatemalan chicken buses.

I think Don and Mary's bus has THE coolest paint job on here-

My bus will be getting mechanical repairs/upgrades before I even think about paint prep. But in the meantime if anyone out there is into street art, murals, rattle can painting, etc- HIT ME UP!