Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2024, 03:57 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Copium when your bus is in the shop?

Anyone have any good Copium for when your bus is stuck in the shop for months on end?

I've only owned my bus for 6 months now, but 1.5 of those months have been in the shop waiting on them to fix my VPM. I find myself missing working on the bus and I feel like I'm wasting my free time not working on the Bus.

Just starting a little friendly conversation as I'm bored and wondered what everyone here does for coping while they cannot work on their buses.

nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 04:00 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird (6-window Handy Bus)
Engine: Cummins 6.7l ISB
Rated Cap: 15 + 3WC
Mow the lawn?
desrtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 04:09 PM   #3
Bus Nut

In the Winter?
Old 01-13-2024, 04:14 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Chassis: Blue Bird (6-window Handy Bus)
Engine: Cummins 6.7l ISB
Rated Cap: 15 + 3WC
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post
In the Winter?
Not so winter down in txÖat least not til next weekÖ
desrtdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2024, 05:24 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Chassis: Ford B-700
Engine: 12V 5.9
You just had a string of bad luck with parts, no one's fault really but it sucks.

It was 4 months on my paint, etc. Had to go down and babysit them to get it moving along, probably a month's worth total if they'd really made an attempt at it.
La Camioneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:06 AM   #6

Year: 2009
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE300
Engine: MaxxForceDT
We are stuck in place for a couple days waiting for work on the bus to be completed. Thankfully they didnít take it in till they had the parts. I canít imagine months like this, what kind of work does your bus need?

We are already stir crazy.
MamaRhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 09:53 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaRhi View Post
We are stuck in place for a couple days waiting for work on the bus to be completed. Thankfully they didnít take it in till they had the parts. I canít imagine months like this, what kind of work does your bus need?

We are already stir crazy.
We got the bus back finally. 3 box computer working great. Still may need some glowplug work done. I may try to replace those myself. Also the starting issue with stuck solenoid seems to reappear as well for me. I can always start it if I feed 12v into the starter directly with a trigger gun. But these are things I plan to fix myself this time around so I can work on other things while I wait on part orders etc.
Old 02-21-2024, 10:43 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
if i remember right these engines use a GMC style solenoid.. the solenoid actually sends the starter gear into the flywheel as opposed to a stabndard ford style where the bendix is a spring mechanical.. these solenoids can be replaced separate of the whole starter and are not a bad job to do generally...
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 11:00 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
if i remember right these engines use a GMC style solenoid.. the solenoid actually sends the starter gear into the flywheel as opposed to a stabndard ford style where the bendix is a spring mechanical.. these solenoids can be replaced separate of the whole starter and are not a bad job to do generally...
Yeah I think it's an upper solenoid, I hear it clicking but it doesn't sound like a healthy click as usual, and it's up by me on the left inside the panel, and the starter itself never engages by key turn. Feeding 12v directly to starter bendix comes out and cranks, no problem.

I actually dreamt of a new plan to do to the bus the other night. I'm going to run 2x 10+amp wires, at the starter, and route those wires to my dash inside the cab, and make a push button start. Cause why not? And that would be awesome.

I don't EVER want to be stranded because of a stupid $20 solenoid, and it might be nice to be able to simply start my bus with a push button in the event my keys won't turn it. I could even leave the solenoid broken up top, and hide the button under the dash area as a theft deterrent and always start the bus with the push button.
Old 02-21-2024, 11:05 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
oh THAT solenoid up by you is the accessory solenoid that enables your bus heaters, ionterior lights etc... that clicks when you turn the key to ON.. and will click again (off) when you rotate the key to start and stay off as long as you hold the key..

you may have a bad starter relay or your neutral safety switch isnt working correctly.. the ECM enables a relay (I believe its on the firewall) which allows the start circuit to engage... the neutral safety switch affects whether that relay enables or not.. a symptom of that relay not enabling is a no crank condition... if your bus has a vandalock and its not fully disengaged that will also disable the starter relay.. just something to think about..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 11:40 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
oh THAT solenoid up by you is the accessory solenoid that enables your bus heaters, ionterior lights etc... that clicks when you turn the key to ON.. and will click again (off) when you rotate the key to start and stay off as long as you hold the key..

you may have a bad starter relay or your neutral safety switch isnt working correctly.. the ECM enables a relay (I believe its on the firewall) which allows the start circuit to engage... the neutral safety switch affects whether that relay enables or not.. a symptom of that relay not enabling is a no crank condition... if your bus has a vandalock and its not fully disengaged that will also disable the starter relay.. just something to think about..

There are those 3 relays screwed into the IDM on the firewall. Are any of those the starter relay? I replaced all 3 of those already with brand new ones, and they work. I manually tested them with a 12v battery and can hear them click every time and multimeter checked them so I don't think it's the relays, Unless there's another relay involved other than those three. I only replaced those 3.

I don't think it's the vandalock system as it's been disabled before I owned the bus, though I do not know what measures were taken before I owned it to disable it so maybe something is wrong with that bypass. I wouldn't know where to start on that.

I do know that the starting thing is intermittent, most of the time it works and sometimes it won't, so if it were vandalock I don't think it would behave that way as little as it does.

Also I thought there were TWO upper solenoids, one for the heaters, accessories etc, and then one for the starter crank. Then one lower solenoid on the starter itself. I'll open it up and take pictures.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:08 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Here are the pics. There are two upper solenoids. It was my understanding that one of these was to send the 12v to the lower starter solenoid, that's what I think is failing, or maybe it goes from one of those to the relays I replaced. Then to the starter.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20240222_125506.jpg