Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2020, 04:24 PM   #1

Do you need or want a place to land for a bit!

Hi, we have 15 acres in NM, we are skoolie family of 3, also a "boatie" family. We are converting a pontoon houseboat into a house on the property. If you are responsible, non drinkers, and would like a place to park and/or work on your bus (and/or boatie!), stop by for a bit! We homeschool our ten year old (parents are geologist and traditional midwife), so if you have similar age kids, so much the better!

cancruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 04:41 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
It is cool that you are offering your land to like-minded families!

What part of NM?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 08:42 AM   #3

Hi, we are in western NM. We think that these times make it more necessary than ever to connect with like minded people and support each other as best we can if we are to ever get through this.

Thanks for your reply!
Old 09-03-2020, 10:21 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Chassis: Bluebird TC 2000
Hi! We just recently got our new to us bus and will be coming down to NM for a maiden test drive and visit my father in taos - we have two kids 2 & 6 - would love to come check out the boat (!). we are coming from Salida, CO. a few weeks out for sure - but let's stay in touch.
Metatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 12:56 AM   #5

Sounds cool! We are scheduled to have the boat here end of September, so you may be able to see it depending on when you come. We will have our solar, water catchment, etc installed by then, so you are welcome to come by, catch your breath if you have been out for a while, and share spirit! We would love to have you stop by.
Old 09-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #6

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Freightliner
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins Diesel
Ooooo I’m going to save this and be in touch with you when I’m all built out. Working on my skoolie build right now and bringing a babe into the world next year. Just me and a big ol love bug dog and a new little human. I’m a doula, too, we should definitely meet!
Pepperpheasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:31 AM   #7

This is brilliant! We might stop by in the near future.
StanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 02:50 AM   #8

Hello is the offer Stiller open?

I am a mom of 8 my oldest is a girls 13 and my youngest son is 3, I home school my kids we live around fairbanks alaska, and I am hoping to find a place to fix our school bus in the lower 48... let me know please, thanks.

QUOTE=cancruise;401928]Hi, we have 15 acres in NM, we are skoolie family of 3, also a "boatie" family. We are converting a pontoon houseboat into a house on the property. If you are responsible, non drinkers, and would like a place to park and/or work on your bus (and/or boatie!), stop by for a bit! We homeschool our ten year old (parents are geologist and traditional midwife), so if you have similar age kids, so much the better![/QUOTE]
Anastasia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:01 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
I will keep this offer open and saved. We have wrapped up the interior of “Eleanor “ and will be taking her out on the road in the spring. Look forward to meeting y’all. My kids are grown and gone. Just me and mama !!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:16 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Thank you for the hospitality. Are you in North or South West NM? Right now my wife and I are in the middle of caring for a family member with severe dementia in the final stages and are stuck right here. But when it is over we intend to burn some fossil fuel and go see the country. Or what's left of it.
s2mikon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 08:16 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

This is awesome! I love NM. I spent some time there at WhiteSands a couple of years ago, as well as the outer Roswell area. I wasn't too sure if I was going to like NM but as it turns out, it is one of my favorite states.

Very gracious of you to offer your land to those out there Happy trails!
SkoolbusLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 01:38 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I graduated from high school from Alamogorgo, NM ... even had our senior picnic at White Sands.

I am with you on your assessment of New Mexico. It is called "the Land of Enchantment" after all.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:11 AM   #13

Chassis: Freighliner
Rated Cap: 36200
Have you titled and registered your skoolie here in NM? I'm in Otero County, and the small local MVD satellite office has never had someone do a conversion and can't tell me the legal requirements in this state for a legal conversion. Any chance you could share your path to success with me? And, as a side note, my wife has studied midwifery since a teen and had started her apprenticeship in Alaska; but life happened and she had to move on.
TrueNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 11:22 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

I've done 3 here in NM. Every one was different. Go figure.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:43 AM   #15

What did they make you do for the last one? I think if I just tell the local MVD what is needed, they will roll with it. For example, my original title on the bus says the body is a "Bus", and the vehicle class is "Agri Bus" but that doesn't make sense (considering it is BlueBird activity bus from a school.) I actually have a 2002 version of the bus in your avatar! Awesome bus! It's exactly what I wanted in Alaska, but couldn't find. Are you able to elaborate or give me any specifics they required? Thanks so much!
Old 02-02-2021, 11:53 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

They wanted to see a stove, sink, bathroom and bedroom. The last one had all of that plus it was already registered as a motorhome from CA. The one before that had all of the above and it was registered as a passenger bus from CA and they refused to reclassify it. So it is registered as a passenger bus. The first one had all the stuff required but they refused to reclassify it as a motorhome and told me they could only classify it as a truck. So it is a truck. They are just a bunch of dumb asses. Welcome to NM. I have been here 25 years and it is not getting any better. My dad was born and raised here and told me it has always been that way.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:55 AM   #17
Bus Crazy

I need to add they wanted to also look / inspect it and wanted unladen weight for it.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:57 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

TrueNorth, how is your bus now registered / classified?
Old 02-02-2021, 12:02 PM   #19

I graduated from Cloudcroft Highschool (here in Southern NM) in the 90's. I moved back to take care of my disabled mom.

The title is still in the previous owners name as I have not had it for more than 2 weeks. Currently the title says the "body" is a "Bus", and the "vehicle class" is "AGRI BUS". But I have no idea what that is (can't find it anywhere in the regs or statutes for the state.) No current registration.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:05 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

I just sent you a PM