Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-04-2013, 11:29 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1973
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: CAT 1160 V-8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Food that you love

Here is another thread that I presume will garner some responses.

I so much want to get a pastrami on pumpernickel with mayonnaise, a crabmeat sandwich on a hard roll, a grilled cheese sandwich with a bowl of tomato soup.

When I get back to TN. I will be looking for some deli's that have that stuff.

I eat mostly cans of soup, I am getting bored of that stuff.

I did treat myself to Wendy's last week. Their fries are great.

I also love lasagna.I don't really cook. I just nuke soup.

However, I made one of my favorite dishes the other week at a friend's house.

Take a frying pan. Melt a quarter stick of real butter. Roast the four cloves of garlic that has been diced in the heated butter in the pan.

When the garlic has been browned, put in a can of corned beef hash. Mix it together.

Drain the liquid from a can of peas. Put the peas in the pan. Mix it together.

It may sound weird, but it is pretty tasty.

SO, let's see some favorite foods that you may have.

ALSO, you might give some recipes that you make.

It has been many years since I had a pastrami on pumpernickel. I will probably dream about it tonight.

Old 05-05-2013, 12:05 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: Food that you love

Food That I Love. Would be most of the food out there.

Food I can digest, not so much.

A good standby is Kielbasa and Cabbage, cooked with half a stick or more of butter until the cabbage wilts (because I like fresh cabbage) and a metric tonne of ground black pepper. Simplest thing I make.

I do Rice Noodles cooked with San-J brand Teriyaki sauce and either chicken or steak sliced real thin. Add enough chicken or beef broth to turn it into a gluten-free ramen soup sometimes.

Oh, even better, Egg Drop Soup! Chicken broth, enough ginger to sear your sinuses (just ask Mum), corn starch to thicken, and one egg. Simplest Chinese dish I make and only those 4 ingredients.

I do Curry sometimes when I bother to make coconut milk (1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut, 1 cup HOT water, let sit for an hour and strain). Using the thick canned or tetra-packed stuff makes it too sweet somehow.

Wintertime calls for a modified Italian Wedding Soup (Slowcooker, can o' green beans, can o' diced 'maters, can o' diced 'taters, bulk sausage rolled into small meatballs, chicken bullion, cook for several hours or until I get home from work).

I do Jamaican Beef Stew more often than American anymore. Something about the lime just makes it taste better, fresher or something. My corn bread recipe goes fabulously with it.

Jambalaya, too, although it's been ages since I made it last.

How about dessert? Typically fruit (stone fruit, a couple of types of berries, whatever I happen to have fresh or frozen) cooked down into a compote with a bag of green tea and lemon juice (lime if I happen to have it) with some ice creme or baked into a cobbler.

Banana Boats a must in the Summertime.

I bake cookies every so often, Gingersnaps or Peanut Butter, or my modified Tollhouse Chocolate Chip cookies, and my coworkers gobble them up (I use them as Guinea Pigs. Not sorry).

I enjoy cooking, it's just kinda sad I only do it for just me anymore. I like to cook for people and eat with them.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 10:33 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I'm lazy. While I love good food, I don't care for the clean-up involved with cooking. I also don't usually feel like cooking even though I feel like eating. We won't get into what I think of the cleanliness of restaurants, especially here in NM. I have a valid Food Manager Certificate from TX. I know what those places SHOULD be doing. Plus I'm FRUGAL. Eating fast food is expensive. Once a month I will cook up a month's supply of individual recipes that we really like (our "every month" recipes) and freeze them in single meal amounts. Since it's just the two of us on or two batches of a large family sized recipe (6 to 12 servings) usually makes us several meals. I can usually crank up the oven and cook 3 recipes that yields several meals, depending on what I am cooking. I tend to group my batch cooking based on oven temps. That way I can set the oven at one temp and cook several recipes (times do vary) over a period of time (I have a 30" home range in the bus). Some of my stuff cooks in 30 minutes or so, most takes a few hours. Come summer, I can do my cooking in the mornings when it's coolish (helps to have a very good vent over the range to suck the hot oven heat out). I need to get another vac sealer (my old foodsaver bit the dust a while back) and vac seal the oven stuff during the winter to eat during the summer when it's too hot to cook. I tend to shoot for 20 to 24 "meals" per month (not counting enchiladas since those are lunches) and then the rest of the meals will fill in with things like hamburgers, ground beef pasta sauce (I freeze 90/10 ground beef in 8 oz packages), pork chops (sometimes just pan seared - other times with a white wine sauce), frozen or homemade pizza, lasagna, eggs & sausage/bacon, Snow Crab legs & shrimp boil, manicotti. We eat the freezer completely down before doing our main grocery shopping trip. So far we have been running every 6 weeks before doing our main "monthly" grocery shopping trip. I have found that I can usually get all the cooking done on 2 to 3 days. One of the batches is our meal for that evening and the rest I put up after we eat.

Freezer Thaw-&-Eat Dinners:
Meatloaf: now that we aren't feeding "Tace, my meal loaf recipe has gone from 1 meal to 4 meals. Meatloaf is a good thaw-heat-&-eat recipe. I cook my meatloaves on a broiler pan rack.

Jambalaya: cook several batches in oven. Served hot over brown rice. This is one we have about once a week in the winter so I make up quite a bit. It's easier to make in the oven rather than on the stove.

My Cajun American Enchiladas: makes 18 -20 enchiladas that, once cooked, I roll up individually in foil and stuff in a freezer bag in the deep freeze. I take them out as wanted, thaw/heat in the micro. I like the enchiladas but they are very messy to make for what they are. Doing a double batch means I mess with them only once yet eat them all month long. I tend to eat them 1 or 2 at a time for my "lunch" (at 8AM) or as "fend for yourself" meals when we aren't very hungry and didn't take anything out to thaw for supper. I do not count the enchiladas as part of my monthly meals.

Fried Chicken: messy job but I have the reheat perfected and now freezing then reheating the chicken later gives us a fried chicken that tastes like freshly fried without all the mess. I've been cooking up 6 lbs of boneless skinless chicken thighs but I picked up my large chicken skillet from out of storage recently so the 6 lbs will get bumped up to 12 lbs.

Hungarian Goulash: 4 to 6 batches baked for hours in the oven... warms up the bus on a cold day.

Brown Rice: bake 2 lbs in the oven - freeze in 1 & 2 cup packages.

Oven Baked Chicken: cook 6 lbs & freeze. Use for most anything that calls for cooked chicken or use as a shortcut in any recipe that calls for cooking chicken then adding the cooked chicken to other ingredients. sometimes we just dump BBQ sauce on it and make sandwiches. Sometimes we add the cooked chicken to jarred pasta sauce. Sometimes I make Alfredo sauce, add chicken and nuked broccoli florets and serve over cooked pasta.

Oven Pot roast: cut roasts up in half to equal 1.5 - 2 lb, freeze along with the gravy... thaw/reheat, thicken gravy; serve over thawed & heated brown rice.

Bourbon Chicken: oven cook, freeze; serve over thawed & heated brown rice.

Corned Beef: is already cooked so I split a package in half, split the seasoning packet in half and freeze. Thaw, toss in my Futura pressure cooker until done, remove, toss a bag of frozen Brussels sprouts in the pot likker and bring to a boil, simmer until done.

Meatballs: Basic meatball recipe that I then use the meatballs (frozen in packages of 10) to make Meatball Sauerbraten or add to pasta sauce. Meatballs are like the Enchiladas... a pain to mess with and not worth the effort for single batch meals.

Chili: my normal recipe makes 7 cups. It doubles nicely allowing us to many freeze individual amounts to reheat in the microwave as wanted. This is one of those recipes (like many soups & stews) that work out great to be frozen in wide mouth half pint canning jars (fill to the "freezer" line just under the thick rib the ring butts up to). Fill sterilized canning jars with hot chili, put a sterilized lid & ring on (or use the plastic 1 piece lid),let cool before freezing. Canning jars can be reheated in the microwave without thawing(sans metal lid & ring), the jar doubles as a serving bowl.

We also freeze up pulled pork BBQ in single meal amounts.

When we want something "special" we tend to make it ourselves. If it's a dish from a popular restaurant, I can normally find a copycat (sometimes the original) recipe online.

We make a lot of our desserts and snacks ourselves. Although we try to make small batches of those.

During the summer, we like to grill most of our food outside. Roswell is too dusty/windy in the late afternoon to do any grilling. In the past, I have grilled (on low flame for a couple of hours) large amounts of chicken (it will be pink inside from cooking so slowly) and froze it all. Also David has made extra burgers and cooked to well done so we can freeze them. Grilled-frozen food tastes/smells like freshly grilled when thawed & reheated.

I need to work on best freeze-thaw-heat method for my lasagna and manicotti recipes.

I have a collection of restaurant steam table pans that I do most of my oven baking in.

We also buy large bags of frozen veggies (Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, 1/2 ears corn on cob) in addition to the frozen meals we make (even David does the oven cooking). As you can see, we need the big freezer we have. What we do isn't for everyone. But if you have a bit more freezer space than the typical RV refrigerator, then anyone can make a "family sized" meal and freeze the excess for later meals. If you have a large freezer then, even with an RV or apt size range, you can put the meals up and save quite a bit of money.

Large batch recipes abound online. I like the look at the OMAC websites and Dayle's Growlies for Groups for large batch recipes plus methods to freeze them. If it's something I have never frozen before, I look for a similar recipe as see how they froze, thawed and reheated the dish.

For REALLY BIG recipes (100+ servings)

The Growlies website is a great source if you are having to self cater a large group (wedding, picnic buffet, gathers of any kind) or bake lots of cookies & cakes for Christmas.

If you decide to cook large batches either for your self or for a party PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take the time to be safe. Even for our use, I still wear gloves over clean washed hands when large batch cooking or packaging food up for the freezer. I wipe down all counters and nearby surfaces with a sanitizing solution. In other words, I follow the same food handling practices we used on the food cart. It makes everything easier to clean up at the end of the freezing session. Gloves make it easier to keep my hands clean as well.

Instant read thermometers, like used in restaurants, are inexpensive (don't buy the ones at grocery stores & Wal-Mart). Learn to calibrate them and use them. An electronic food scale that allows you to "zero it out" is a godsend when making large recipes. I rewrite recipes to weights whenever possible (grams or ounces).
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Bus Geek

"Chinese" Donuts:
One of my daughters worked for a while in our fav chinese restaurant. This is how they made their donuts. Most if not all, of the chinese donuts you find on the buffets are made this way. Pay close attention. this may get complicated.

Step 1. Buy a can of cheap store brand "whomp'em-on-the-counter" biscuits. Not the fancy more expensive ones, the cheap store brand whomp'ems works best.

Step 2. heat oil to deep frying temps. The best temperature is 350 to 375 degrees F . Use a thermometer. (Peanut oil, safflower oil, sunflower oil, and canola oil are some good choices with high 'smoke points', in other words, those do not break down at deep frying ... I prefer peanut oil) Deep frying at the correct temps will allow food to cook without absorbing the oil. People who say deep frying is so bad for you are the same fools who can't deep fry in the first place.

Step 3. Once the oil reaches temp (I prefer to heat to 375), remove the paper outer wrapper from the biscuits and whomp the tube on the edge of the counter to open the tube.

4. Separate the biscuits out and drop them in the hot oil. Do not over crowd or put too many in at the same time as it will cause the oil temp to drop and allow the bread dough to soak up oil. Cook until lightly browned on one side, about 45 - 60 seconds, flip over and cook the other side until lightly browned, about 45 - 60 seconds.

5. Remove donuts from out with a slotted spoon or wire basket. Drain briefly on paper towels.

Toss in sugar, cinnamon-sugar mixture (my fav) or in powdered sugar. Eat while still warm.

These do not hold over at all. I have successfully opened an 8 ct tube, removed 4 biscuits and saved the rest of the tube. (Remove metal ends from cardboard wrapper making sure all cardboard is removed from metal ends. Sandwich the remaining biscuits between the metal ends, wrap a sheet of foil around the biscuit dough being careful to not squish the dough. fold ends over the metal ends pieces. Store in refrigerator for a few days.)

Cheap, easy dessert/snack.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #5
Bus Geek

this is our go-to chicken recipe for the grill, when feeding lots of folks...after kayaking, 4 wheeling etc...makes a great gallon or 3 zip lock treat it gets mixed up night before and then buried in ice next day...BAMMM...it goes very nicely with a cold adult beverage

We normally do chicken tenders easy to cook and marinate all sides..vroom,vroom

I cut it today and saw the thread...cheated and snapped a pic...Lisa has been using this recipe for over 13 years!

I figured mounted on bus fridge, when folks say "what is the recipe?" ......I say "got a camera?"
enjoy!

oh and the "ggts" is the noise the bottle makes when you...ugh...well...shake it into bag/bowl
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

WOW! that looks like a very good baste for the chicken. I bet that it would also work on pork chops or ribs.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #7
Bus Geek

I must say this (Lisa just came in) : Disclaimer....... this recipe is made for a lot of chicken like 5 lbs. ...so you might want to cut it down a little for smaller "loads"
Old 05-05-2013, 06:36 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
WOW! that looks like a very good baste for the chicken. I bet that it would also work on pork chops or ribs.
we have tried it(our friends also) and it just doesn't work for anything but chicken...weird ....rattlesnake and squirrel would be good also must be the vinegar
Old 05-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
... this recipe is made for a lot of chicken like 5 lbs...
That's not a lot of chicken. Chicken likes "company".
Old 05-06-2013, 05:27 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Papaya juice!

I used to visit New York City (Manhattan). There was a place there that sold nothing but Papaya juice. That stuff is tasty.

Anybody remember Orange Julius?

Another popular item was steamed cheeseburgers.

In Canada, most of the people who go to Burger joints order "POUTINE" instead of regular fries. Yum Yum. They are french fries with brown gravy and string cheese on top. Very popular.

PIES:

I have to say that my favorite is "Pate Au Frambois" (double layer raspberry pie). My mom used to make that.

Next in descending order is:
Banana cream pie
Strawberry rhubarb pie
Apple pie
Chocolate cream pie

Many many years ago, when my grandma was still alive, she would make a raisin pie. It was good. She could also make traditional Greek Baklava.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:21 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accordion
... PIES...
Mmmm! Pies!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

My favorite soup is Lentil Soup. I eat it for breakfast.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:44 PM   #13
Bus Geek

I just finished cooking up 7 lbs of fried chicken (all thighs). I'll let it cool then freeze it all up. After all that frying, I do not want fried chicken. We're having a (frozen) pizza for supper.

Currently 80F and it's not too bad with all the frying I've been doing. The vent fan really sucks the heat out.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:52 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Real Skoolies just eat SPAM
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

When I was In Los Angeles, I would often go to the local carnecieri . I always ordered the same thing. A burrito with just beans and cheese.

Of course, I would have to say "un burrito con queso y frijoles solamente por favor".They also had a great dessert called flan.
It was a bread pudding.

The pretty girl who worked there liked me. Actually she wanted to marry me. That was her idea. She had two young children. I was not interested in doing that.

I had a Philipino friend that said he had a friend in the Phillipines who wanted to come to the United States. He said that she was a doctor. He said that she would pay me $3000 to get married to her. Perhaps I should have taken him up on that deal.

Well, back to food.

When I was in northern California, some friends and I used to go to a small but very popular burrito stand. We would get chorizo burritos. They were tasty, but they were VERY hot and spicy. Choriza is a type of sausage.

At my age, I doubt that I could safely ingest that type of stuff anymore. It's like eating Jalapeno peppers. They burn going in AND they burn coming out.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Part-time
I honestly don't know what I would do without a microwave now...

Mexican for a midnight snack.
Oh look. Mexican food with English & French text.

Which makes me wonder....

Why is it Delissio in Canada but DiGiorno in the US for the same pizza?
"It's not delivery. It's DiGiorno/Delissio.",
Old 05-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #17
Bus Nut

I used to have an answer for that, Mum, I really did.

But, sadly, I'm related to you and also suffer from CRS. If only I could recall what those initials stood for...

I made Kielbasa and Cabbage for my housemate last night. SHe really enjoyed it. Tonight I'm doing South Carolina Lowcountry cuisine, Shrimp and Cheesy Grits (and I'll be dogged if I could remember how the heck you actually spell the ruddy word). Poor thing has gout so I'm loading hir up on veggies last night and fruit tonight (dessert is peaches, blackberries and raspberries with homemade whipped creme).

Old 05-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #18
Bus Geek

I tried a new shrimp and cheesy grits last weekend...turned out okay...it had onions and bell peppers in it....

it was good; just different

We love some shrimp and grits, and any kind of boil, no matter what kinda critters are in it
My wifes loves all food also...except green peas she picks them out of anything and everything...she loves green beans though, all kinds (she's weird)
Old 05-08-2013, 05:13 PM   #19
Bus Nut

Dude, are you kidding? I won't touch green peas but love green beans. Ditto for KC (the dog) while she was alive. If it looked anything like a pea she spat it out. Weirdest dang thing I ever saw.

Old 05-08-2013, 05:43 PM   #20
Bus Geek

do you pile them in a far corner of a (round) plate at a restaurant?

You two would get along splendid