Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2020, 07:09 PM   #361
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSquared View Post
Taught my kid to make his first pie. He did maybe 80% of the work. He sifted the flour I cut the shortening. We both formed the dough and rolled the crusts. He cut the peaches mixed them with the spices. Forked the edges.he did good.

I guess I should wait to cut a slice lol, then post this. But I already typed all this out so maybe I'll add a pic later.Attachment 47445
Looks good, I get the eagerness.

Maybe you knew this already, but one thing I like to do with pies is to freeze the stick of butter and then run it through the cheese grater and then toss that with the flour. I wonder if that would work with shortening proper, though?

Old 08-14-2020, 08:39 AM   #362
Bus Geek

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1956.png
Views:	7
Size:	591.8 KB
ID:	47919

Name:	IMG_1957.png
Views:	6
Size:	613.1 KB
ID:	47920

I think my sourdoughing has reach its zenith. I now use a banetton, shape the loaf, and can bake a boule without much in the way of mutant deformations.
Old 08-14-2020, 08:24 PM   #363
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Help me out here. You use the banneton for proofing the dough, then upturn the banneton into your baking dish?

-or-

Is your banneton oven proof and you do it all in the one bowl?
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:01 PM   #364
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Help me out here. You use the banneton for proofing the dough, then upturn the banneton into your baking dish?

-or-

Is your banneton oven proof and you do it all in the one bowl?
The banneton handles the final rise of the shaped loaf, then I upturn the banneton onto a piece of parchment paper, then lift the parchment paper by the corners and drop it into the heated dutch oven.
Old 08-14-2020, 10:30 PM   #365
Bus Geek

I can not really see it in the picture ... does the loaf have the stepped layered look from the banneton?
Old 08-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #366
Bus Geek

Quote:
I can not really see it in the picture ... does the loaf have the stepped layered look from the banneton?
No, the banneton is made from a coiled piece of bamboo (?) so if you put the dough directly in it, it picks up that spiral. But I guess if you put the linen cover over the bowl first (like I did), the dough doesn't get that spiral effect. The "halo" on my loaf was just from using my bread lame to cut a circle in the top of the dough. I might try getting the spiral effect from the coil some time.

My big breakthrough as far as no more mutant loaves was to trim off the excess parchment paper after dropping the dough into the dutch over. Before, I was just throwing the top on and this folded the paper down inside over the dough and prevented it from properly rising in some places.

Now I'm trying to perfect my baguettes!
Old 08-15-2020, 12:01 AM   #367
Bus Geek

Never have attempted baguettes ... I did try bread sticks tonight ... I just do not have the roll down. They are always lumpy and the oven spring was so great that they doubled in diameter. Once I can make pencil bread rolls, I think I'll do a better job of making pretzels.
Old 08-15-2020, 04:21 AM   #368
Bus Geek

Quote:
Never have attempted baguettes ... I did try bread sticks tonight ...
That's funny, my attempt at baguettes resulted in tiny breadsticks instead.
Old 08-22-2020, 10:48 PM   #369
Bus Geek

Pizza Night

Another Saturday Night and I ain't got nobody,
I got some money 'cause I just got paid ...

I love that song! Can you name it? (and the songwriter?)

Anyway, I made total-from-scratch (sourdough) pizza for dinner. It sure was yummy. I finally broke down and used a roller to flatten the dough before baking. I then baked the crust first, the removed them from the oven and added toppings and back in the oven. I like this method a lot.

Name:	20200822_213251 Pizza Night.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	48217
Old 08-23-2020, 06:36 AM   #370
Bus Geek

Quote:
Another Saturday Night and I ain't got nobody,
I got some money 'cause I just got paid ...

I love that song! Can you name it? (and the songwriter?)

Anyway, I made total-from-scratch (sourdough) pizza for dinner. It sure was yummy. I finally broke down and used a roller to flatten the dough before baking. I then baked the crust first, the removed them from the oven and added toppings and back in the oven. I like this method a lot.

Attachment 48217
I'm glad I looked it up because I was about to say Cat Stevens. But actually I'm not glad because I continued reading about Sam Cooke's death, which I hadn't known about before.

That pizza looks great. Do you have a recipe for the sourdough crust? I need to try that. I always used to roll my pizza dough since I was using all-purpose flour and I could never get it to stretch like pizzeria dough, but my last couple of attempts using high-gluten bread flour, I was able to do the spinning-in-air thing instead which is kind of cool.
Old 08-23-2020, 09:01 PM   #371
Bus Geek

Both are/were great artists!

I use my regular sourdough bread dough for the crust. I also use the same dough for our hamburger buns. I really do not have a recipe with exact measurements per se ... so there may be variations between each rendering of the dough.

I have done the toss method. It is a blast, especially with children present. I have not learned how to make it round by tossing, nor thin.

I am sure your recipe for sourdough bread is similar.

The basics for my dough are:

After taking out the starter culture from the refrigerator, I add about 1/2 cup of room temperature distilled water along with about a cup of flour a pinch of salt and a tablespoon of sugar. I would say I start with about a cup of starter. I mix it up real well and place it in a warm (115 degree F to 120 degree F) oven until bubbly ... about an hour.

Note: I use distilled water for most everything in the kitchen. I distill my own water and we all like the taste much better than tap water.

I then add about 1/4 cup of distilled water and another cup of flour and mix it all up well. It will be a very thick but pourable solution at this point. I pour off about a cup and put it back into the refrigerator for next time. I put what is left in the bowl (I would estimate this to be about 2 cups of mixture) into the warm oven for another proofing (about one more hour).

After the second proofing, I melt 2 tablespoons of unsalted butter in a 1-cup measuring cup. I add 1&1/2 teaspoons of salt and mix well. I then add enough half & half to fill to just above the 1-cup mark and warm this in the microwave on 50% power for 66 seconds. This brings it all up to about room temperture. I then add another tablespoon of sugar to the measuring cup and stir well.

I add the contents of the measuring cup to the bowl (recently removed from the oven) and mix well with the dough. At this point it is fairly wet annd runny. I add flour and knead the dough ball until it gets to the right feel ... like it only likes itself and it pushes back when you press on it.

Once the kneading process is done, I lift the dough ball out of the bowl and sprinkle flour in the bottom of the bowl, add the dough ball, then sprinkle more flour on top.

The bowl with the dough ball goes back into the oven for two hours or more untill it has risen to about wrice its original size.

If the dough is too wet once it has risen, just knead in more flour. Once the dough ball is ready to be made into crusts, cut out a large piece os parchment paper and lightly dust the paper with flour. Next, place a portion of dough ball in the middle of the parchment paper and lightly dust the dough ball with flour. Roll out the dough ball to form the raw crust.

Place in the oven (390 degrees F) on the pizza stone and bake for about 6 minutes. You should get lots of bubbles on top and a very light brownig on bottom. Pull the crust out and place it inverted so that the smooth, lightly browned, surface is up. Add your ingredients and slide it back into the oven on the stone. Bake until the edges become darkened and the cheese is bubbly.

Remove and enjoy!
Old 09-25-2020, 03:35 AM   #372

Nobody beats a well-cooked pasta. My wife makes one of the best pastas in the neighborhood, so much that our neighbors would ask her to cook for everyone during the town fair.
StanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 01:07 AM   #373
Bus Geek

Sourdough Pizza Snacks

My wife and I were hungry for a little pizza snack, so I sliced up a sourdough bun really thin, added a tomato sauce (izza sauce I made a little while ago), some mozzarella cheese, and topped them with mini pepperoni and olives.

Name:	20201218_004009 Sourdough Pizza Snacks.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	52068
Old 12-18-2020, 03:37 PM   #374
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: MCI 96A3
Engine: DD 8V92TA
Not sure if you know you can go into the bakery at Publix and get an uncooked Bread dough for a couple dollars, the wife uses these to make Pizza.

My favorite one she makes is BBQ, she uses pulled pork and BBQ sauce.

Peter
peterbylt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2020, 12:38 AM   #375
Bus Geek

When we were last in Florida, I did see dough balls on sale at Publix.