Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2020, 08:37 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Kids and roadschooling

So how does the domicile stuff work when youre homeschooling? Whst if i am in one state longer than 6 months in a year? I think I will keep TX as my residency state but do authorities then deem you "homeless"?

Ive asked my mom to let me use her house as my permanent address for the sake of security in that respect but she got all weird and said its illegal to do that. What????

Any help is appreciated my family is totally lost bc they just dont understand life without the machine!

Clark5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Where is your drivers license address? Where is your vehicle registration address? Where does your mail go? I know, who uses snail mail anymore but its still a factor in establishing residency or domicile. Basically if you can use your mom's address and swing by occasionally for mail then that should suffice. It helps if all your documents also match. I have traveled full-time for years and never had any problem as long as you don't have a hodge-podge of addresses or in various states and then it looks like you're trying to be difficult to find. As a company truck driver, the expectation is there's two addresses, My home and the terminal which is the truck's info. I live in Indiana, I work for a company in Illinois, so that doesn't look suspicious. If I owned my own truck then it could raise an eyebrow or two. I think that whole six month thing was some response to Howard Hughes trying to avoid paying taxes by moving around a lot. Plenty of people have summer homes or RV half the year or more without incident so long as someone knows how and where to get ahold of you in an official manner.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:29 AM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Homeskooling Podcast

I came across this some time back. Maybe it can help. Maybe you can reach out and ask them questions

The Skoolie Today Podcast: Episode 002: Tina Wann — The Homeschool Highway
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Where is your drivers license address? Where is your vehicle registration address? Where does your mail go? I know, who uses snail mail anymore but its still a factor in establishing residency or domicile. Basically if you can use your mom's address and swing by occasionally for mail then that should suffice. It helps if all your documents also match. I have traveled full-time for years and never had any problem as long as you don't have a hodge-podge of addresses or in various states and then it looks like you're trying to be difficult to find. As a company truck driver, the expectation is there's two addresses, My home and the terminal which is the truck's info. I live in Indiana, I work for a company in Illinois, so that doesn't look suspicious. If I owned my own truck then it could raise an eyebrow or two. I think that whole six month thing was some response to Howard Hughes trying to avoid paying taxes by moving around a lot. Plenty of people have summer homes or RV half the year or more without incident so long as someone knows how and where to get ahold of you in an official manner.
Currently we are in Texas but we never changed our ID or vehicle registration from Ma where we are from and my mom lives.
We came here for a 6 month job which ends soon and we will be starting the bus conversion in a month or so.

My problem is my oldest turns 6 soon so if we still register in Ma we need to submit paperwork for September. If we become TX residents we dnt have to submit anything. The thing is, we will be driving to Ma living in Bus for the summer and most of the fall. Also starting a business in Ma.
We will be traveling in colder months but most likely going to end up buying land in Ma.

Using TX as registration works for this year but i dont know why my mom thinks its illegal for me to claim her house as our residence. Is there anything i can tell her? I wont push it if she doesnt want to but if shes misinformed id like to explain it
Clark5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 09:32 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Favorite quote on this subject, I just can't remember who gets the credit;

Don't let school get in the way of a good education!
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:06 PM   #6

Year: 2009
Coachwork: International
Idk if hearsay would be enough to help her view, but we do exactly what you're hoping to do. I use my in laws' address and their state home school regulations and receive mail at that address, which my mother in law calls and reads to me and general delivers wherever I am if necessary. I have had state agencies use this address when registering for programs and services in other states, so I have verification that's it's 100% legal.
TheBeehive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:40 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Tricky business and deadly important. I probably could spell gudd if I hadn't missed third grade.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 08:30 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I've been a full-timer for years. IMO, the easiest approach to this problem is one of the services that provides mail forwarding services. For most of us, this becomes our domicile (state for drivers license, vehicle registration, voting, taxes, etc.). Occasionally some company will complain about it being a "PMB" (google it) but that has been pretty rare for me. This service is not free but there may be some financial benefits to it, depending on your situation. These services are primarily located in Florida, Texas, and South Dakota - which are the states that are most 'friendly' to this sort of thing. I have used Americas Mailbox in SD for many years and am very happy with them. No doubt that a trusted friend/family member could provide the same service but I am not willing to do that (especially when it comes to asking them to handle vehicle registration renewal each year).

For schooling... It has been many years since I home schooled my three boys so I am out of the loop. You do (did?) have to comply with the rules of the state in which you domicile. I believe Switched On Schoolhouse still provides an 'offline' version. My suggestion is to pay really close attention to how your child/children learn and tune the schooling to that (computer vs books vs hands-on vs self study - and it is likely vary by subject and age).
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:52 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I didn't want to be telling you how to educate your kids but in JD's statement " My suggestion is to pay really close attention to how your child/children learn and tune the schooling to that (computer vs books vs hands-on vs self study - and it is likely vary by subject and age)." he has hit the nail on the head. Obviously some subject matter has to be taught in a more or less singular way but for the most part subjects presented in a manner in which the student takes advantage of his natural inclinations are sooner grasped.
Jack AKA Dr. Science.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 02:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmn1212 View Post
Thank you for sharing the information. I agree with you and would like to share my own experience of learning and formalizing the learning process during the pandemic. It is a very acute issue, especially with regard to online distance learning for children. How effective is it for children? What do you think? I can say that in today's digital age, it is possible in critical situations to switch completely to online resources in education. For example, if I need help with my assignment, I can calmly and quickly contact a company that will write a very cool text for me. As well as with learning foreign languages, online tutors even from other countries. It seems to me that this is very good for the efficiency of the learning process. Essay writers are most of the times gotten in touch with to offer essays to pupils in college or university. One of the most effective ways to get this sort of help is to discover a company that has substantial experience and understanding in composing and also modifying essays here Essayhelp.
Essay aid: Top Five Online Essay Devices Basically, creating a reliable essay is a tough job, commitment and determination. However nobody claimed it needs to be done alone. Do not puzzle this to indicate you need to cheat and also obtain the quick way out. The key is to make use of essay writing services to assist make your essay composing less complicated, quicker and much more enjoyable.
JosephHarbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:30 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. Hall View Post
My opinion remains the same that homeschooling is less effective. Judging by my children, they missed a lot of material, although they completed all the tasks on time.
Not trying to be argumentative, just seeking clarification. What material did your children miss? Academics or social or extracurriculars? And how does this merit homeschool being less effective than public or private (or any in-person) school?

I can only speak to my experience. I was homeschooled grades 6 through 12 and my sister grades 4 through 10. I was struggling in a few subjects when my parents made the decision but more importantly my creativity was becoming disruptive to a classroom learning environment. I think you could say I was like Calvin from the Calvin and Hobbes comic - unfocused on the material and endlessly in my own world. Classroom structure simply doesn't allow for this type of student to flourish and embrace education on their own terms yet somehow we expect children to adapt to the structure instead of vice versa or we blame the education system when these children get left behind. Once I got one-on-one instruction and as I reached adolescence I became a much more studious mindset and even read encyclopedia volumes for fun!

My sister on the other hand was quite diligent anyways and probably would have been as well staying in public school but this is where she struggled was the lack of social interactions. That's why she went back to public school her junior year, was involved in many extracurriculars, achieved national honor society, and although she didn't have the credits necessary to walk with her graduating class the principal and superintendent attended her graduation party just to award her a certificate recognizing her achievement and academic excellence. I on the other hand didn't care about the extracurriculars being the lone wolf type that I am so I got my diploma in the mail from our homeschool organization and I also got my bachelor's degree simultaneously so that I walked into my first job at 18 a college graduate. Their biggest concern was whether the company policy would insure an 18 year old driving a brand new company car!

Now in my old age I do see a few shortcomings in my experience and I counsel others from that perspective.

1. Everything is a learning experience, not just book learning. Skoolie life actually offers a lot of opportunities to learn things you'll likely never get a chance in a classroom environment so take advantage of that.

2. Get to know how your child learns best and what subjects interest them, then tailor their experiences to maximize those opportunities to accentuate the topics they struggle with. For example, I struggled with Algebra because it had no practical application for me to understand until I took a programming language and suddenly I saw how letters represent values.

3. Don't be afraid to ask for help in subjects you yourself aren't strong. We didn't have a very strong homeschool support group and Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet so we slogged through those subjects and I still have a love/hate relationship with a few. Nowadays there are many more local groups and there's online opportunities to get outside help for those subjects.

4. Don't neglect social skills. I will admit this was the biggest place where I got left behind but I think my sister got a better footing. I was such a loner anyways I would have struggled socially in junior and senior high school. My sister would have been too involved in her peer group and lost focus on her studies. When I got out into the real world though I was lacking in certain social skills which means I still struggled to relate to people for a long time or missed nonverbal cues or was too honest for polite social settings. These are things kids learn by being around their peers although sometimes if they're struggling anyways they learn the wrong lessons because public schools have become social cesspools. Nevertheless, it is important that kids get opportunities to interact with their age appropriate peers and learn how to relate to people other than their own family.

I will also say that I think this whole COVID prompted distance learning experience will probably awaken a lot of parents to the realities of who their children are academically and how well their school system is or isn't succeeding in giving their children the education experience that best suits them. I suspect homeschooling will see a large expansion even after schools return to in-person classes. There's lots of media coverage about how parents need their kids in school so they themselves can return to work but if that's all these parents see school as is a day care option then I suspect they don't give a darn about the quality of their children's education in the first place which is why public education has been allowed to crank out generations of idiots who are unprepared for the real world. These same dolts expect safe havens in college, coddling by employers, and then move back into their parents' house once life gets to hard for them because they never learned the basic coping skills back in their preteen years.

I could go on but I'll get off my soapbox here.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Our kids are home and home schooling at the moment. We had some experience when we were on the road for 5 months. My wife teaches remote at the University and is essential the teacher at home as well.
Homeschooling would be very hard unless you have a life view with a consumption / income that allows one or better both parents to be at home.
No doubt some parents are natural gifted teachers but beyond that homeschooling is a lot of work. To be so aware as to always seize the teacheable moment is very tiring.
Besides the time and lack of income for not be able to work, delegating that responsibility to schools seems to be logical. both of us have been educated in foreign countries and we feel that the current schooling is lacking on fundamental skills like math.
For example , our oldest daughter (14) does now an online class in digital photography.. we are ok with that be sure she has plenty of more fundamental skill classes.
After two months of that class we still had to show her lens shutter, aperture and effects on depth perspective.

So yeah not impressed with the public schools but homeschooling is one tough job.

The other thing is that it is hard to predict what the close future will bring and what skills are handy to have.
Self defence , marksmanship and practical skills would be higher on my list then 30 years ago when the future still seemed to be all rosy.

Good luck.
Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 06:04 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
Some online schools don't require more than a mailbox, no need to provide a "true, valid residential address". My two daughters are in two different schools (one public, one private) and I just need to update the shipping address as needed (campground, mailbox, ...).

Edit: we tried K12. Was a bad choice for us, we needed more freedom. I can explain more in PM if interested.
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:10 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
For a permanent address, maybe you could use a "Mail Boxes Etc" or a "UPS" store. That will give you a street address and they will forward your mail to you if for example you knew you would be visiting Mom next month.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 07:41 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard B. Hall View Post
My opinion remains the same that homeschooling is less effective. Judging by my children, they missed a lot of material, although they completed all the tasks on time.
I disagree. 3rd year of homeschooling for my children, and they learned so much more than in a traditional school. Way more effective in our case.
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote