Old 01-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Kids and roadschooling

So how does the domicile stuff work when youre homeschooling? Whst if i am in one state longer than 6 months in a year? I think I will keep TX as my residency state but do authorities then deem you "homeless"?

Ive asked my mom to let me use her house as my permanent address for the sake of security in that respect but she got all weird and said its illegal to do that. What????

Any help is appreciated my family is totally lost bc they just dont understand life without the machine!
Clark5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:49 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Coachwork: In the market
Where is your drivers license address? Where is your vehicle registration address? Where does your mail go? I know, who uses snail mail anymore but its still a factor in establishing residency or domicile. Basically if you can use your mom's address and swing by occasionally for mail then that should suffice. It helps if all your documents also match. I have traveled full-time for years and never had any problem as long as you don't have a hodge-podge of addresses or in various states and then it looks like you're trying to be difficult to find. As a company truck driver, the expectation is there's two addresses, My home and the terminal which is the truck's info. I live in Indiana, I work for a company in Illinois, so that doesn't look suspicious. If I owned my own truck then it could raise an eyebrow or two. I think that whole six month thing was some response to Howard Hughes trying to avoid paying taxes by moving around a lot. Plenty of people have summer homes or RV half the year or more without incident so long as someone knows how and where to get ahold of you in an official manner.
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 11:29 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Homeskooling Podcast

I came across this some time back. Maybe it can help. Maybe you can reach out and ask them questions

The Skoolie Today Podcast: Episode 002: Tina Wann — The Homeschool Highway
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 12:19 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sehnsucht View Post
Where is your drivers license address? Where is your vehicle registration address? Where does your mail go? I know, who uses snail mail anymore but its still a factor in establishing residency or domicile. Basically if you can use your mom's address and swing by occasionally for mail then that should suffice. It helps if all your documents also match. I have traveled full-time for years and never had any problem as long as you don't have a hodge-podge of addresses or in various states and then it looks like you're trying to be difficult to find. As a company truck driver, the expectation is there's two addresses, My home and the terminal which is the truck's info. I live in Indiana, I work for a company in Illinois, so that doesn't look suspicious. If I owned my own truck then it could raise an eyebrow or two. I think that whole six month thing was some response to Howard Hughes trying to avoid paying taxes by moving around a lot. Plenty of people have summer homes or RV half the year or more without incident so long as someone knows how and where to get ahold of you in an official manner.
Currently we are in Texas but we never changed our ID or vehicle registration from Ma where we are from and my mom lives.
We came here for a 6 month job which ends soon and we will be starting the bus conversion in a month or so.

My problem is my oldest turns 6 soon so if we still register in Ma we need to submit paperwork for September. If we become TX residents we dnt have to submit anything. The thing is, we will be driving to Ma living in Bus for the summer and most of the fall. Also starting a business in Ma.
We will be traveling in colder months but most likely going to end up buying land in Ma.

Using TX as registration works for this year but i dont know why my mom thinks its illegal for me to claim her house as our residence. Is there anything i can tell her? I wont push it if she doesnt want to but if shes misinformed id like to explain it
Clark5 is offline   Reply With Quote