Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2020, 10:13 PM   #1

Looking for free DOT maps

Hi everyone!

I am looking for a few of the free DOT maps typically found in state operated rest stops. They will be used with my kids for out of the box learning. I will be happy to paypal the shipping costs. I just need one from each in the list. We hope to start traveling by the end of the year.

If anyone is in the following states and can help out I really would appreciate it. I have not had success ordering them online, hoping here will have better luck.

I am looking for state maps for:
Connecticut
Delaware
Montana
Nebraska
New Hampshire
Texas

Safe travels to all,
Liza and the Rolling Gnome-Mads

Rollin Gnome-Mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:37 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I don't have any maps but, good for you. I assume you are teaching how to read a map.
When I was a kid all of the major oil companies had free maps. When I was 10 dad handed me some maps and said "figure out how to get to Florida". Mom made an organizer to hang on the back of their seat with a pocket for each map. I was the "official" navigator, my brother wasn't particularly interested. This was before GPS or interstate highways. I had the whole trip planned with mileages etc.
Side note, my brother,75 now, never travelled much and never drove much. His wife did most of the driving. I on the other hand I have over 1.5 million miles in a truck and have been t to 49 states and half of the provinces.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 07:22 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Winnebago
Chassis: Ford F53
Engine: Ford Triton V-10
Rated Cap: currently 2
https://www.heyitsfree.net/free-state-maps/
Sehnsucht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 08:07 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I know they arent free. but one of the things i carry in my bus is a current or 1 year old Large format Rand mcnally Motor carrier road atlas.. the motor carrier edition has laminated pages, and shows load limits, elevations, hazards, etc that truckers need to heed..

GPS is convenient. but with a bus (esp my slower bus) taking the less travelled roads is fun to do.. it is a royal pain to get a GPS to route you along a route you want to take and at a speed you want to travel.. nothing beats a physical map.. I like the laminated pages because I can mark with dry erase pens and then erase them later.

the book is 11x17 so its fun to lay it out and look for places to drive.

with Covid, many rest stops have closed their visitor information centers except for the restrooms so its a little harder to get maps now.

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I know they arent free. but one of the things i carry in my bus is a current or 1 year old Large format Rand mcnally Motor carrier road atlas.. the motor carrier edition has laminated pages, and shows load limits, elevations, hazards, etc that truckers need to heed..

GPS is convenient. but with a bus (esp my slower bus) taking the less travelled roads is fun to do.. it is a royal pain to get a GPS to route you along a route you want to take and at a speed you want to travel.. nothing beats a physical map.. I like the laminated pages because I can mark with dry erase pens and then erase them later.

the book is 11x17 so its fun to lay it out and look for places to drive.

with Covid, many rest stops have closed their visitor information centers except for the restrooms so its a little harder to get maps now.

-Christopher
I spent many a hour navigating from those Rand Mcnally altas' for my dad in the co-piolet seat of his cab-over international. I always loved that old 2 stroke Detroit rumbling away right under me. He always kept the atlas on a wire coat hanger set right in the center of the book hanging from the sleeper entry right behind us. Some great memories, thanks for that image and my walk down memory lane!
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:28 AM   #6

Thanks, Sehnsucht! That would definitely be useful on the road.
StanTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:00 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 3116 catapillar
Rated Cap: 71 now 2 humans 1 cat
i might have a couple on your list pm me
mmoore6856 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:13 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
You may be able to pick them up at your local AAA.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote