Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2016, 09:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Mini Bird (8 window)
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 24 +1
Only had my bus for 12 days and cops already hassling me

So I've been visited by the local gang twice now about my still-yellow beauty. They are citing me for having an abandoned vehicle (my lovely International 3800 motor coach) even though it runs great and has all appropriate tags and insurance. Is this what I should get used to for making the decision to buck convention and pursue my Skoolie dream?

Vireo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:19 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: international
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vireo View Post
So I've been visited by the local gang twice now about my still-yellow beauty. They are citing me for having an abandoned vehicle (my lovely International 3800 motor coach) even though it runs great and has all appropriate tags and insurance. Is this what I should get used to for making the decision to buck convention and pursue my Skoolie dream?
Wow that sucks. My GUESS or OPINION is it sounds like you might have a neighbor calling it in if you have it sitting were people can see it. Not sure why they would cit it as abandoned though.
livinthelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 09:52 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

The cops keep changing their story and can't seem to answer my questions on exactly what is and what isn't allowed. I checked the city ordinance and the only thing I could find regarding the parking of trucks and other large vehicles was I need to be 20 ft from the street (I'm probably 40 or 50 ft from the street). Guess the cops are making up the rules as they go along and that's a game I have no chance of winning. Really sucks.
Old 07-21-2016, 10:09 PM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
The cops keep changing their story and can't seem to answer my questions on exactly what is and what isn't allowed. I checked the city ordinance and the only thing I could find regarding the parking of trucks and other large vehicles was I need to be 20 ft from the street (I'm probably 40 or 50 ft from the street). Guess the cops are making up the rules as they go along and that's a game I have no chance of winning. Really sucks.
You could go to the city and go to code enforcement and ask them about it. They may have to pull the info up. At that point I'd ask for a copy of what they are saying the rules are. If the paper does not have a name on it you could ask for a stamp or something to show its from the city. Explain to them what's going on they may be able to help. Just my thoughts and what I'd do. I'd be nice about it too (not saying you wouldn't) just saying that will help too.

My 2 cents
Old 07-21-2016, 10:28 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you, we are just worried we are going to get hassled by the fuzz every hundred miles. It's not part of my skoolie dream. Have you been given a hard time by the police because, you know BUS, duh. Hopefully some folks have had positive experiences?
Old 07-21-2016, 10:32 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Engine: 366 Big block Chevy! :) w/ Stick shift
only two times? I visited with the police 5 times in the first 3 weeks.

I felt afraid and so vulnerable. I admire police officers and i think they can sense that in my voice. I had all my paperwork and a lease for a private property lot i rented while i work on it. Twice i invited the officers inside to have a look.

After the 5th visit, i called the precinct and spoke with the Sgt. and shared my story. He put me on the phone with one of his officers and we got to chatting and i invited him over. Two officers came that time and checked it out.

I did get a window warning because i had not yet gotten plates, but that put fire under my butt to get those asap. lol

Hang in there. It takes people awhile to get a feel for us, and this is a pretty new thing for neighbors and with all the scary stories of meth labs and stuff they are just afraid and want to make sure.

Good luck!
Carytowncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #7
Skoolie

Quote:
Thank you, we are just worried we are going to get hassled by the fuzz every hundred miles. It's not part of my skoolie dream. Have you been given a hard time by the police because, you know BUS, duh. Hopefully some folks have had positive experiences?
No I have not. We are in the county so it really doesn't matter who sees it. Iv just worked for a city for a few years. They are people like us. Doing there job and yes sometimes it sucks for us. But in those few years I learned things and can sometimes apply it to other stuff.

It should help if you can talk face to face with code enforcement. If you can get any paper work or there help that will help you a lot. My experience is the police and code enforcement will work together on things so it may just be code enforcement gets you paper or they can make a call for you.

That will be great for you if all that works.
The long drawn out part will be is if you do have a neighbor that does not like looking at your bus and keeps calling it in. That's going to be a pain.

I'd start with code enforcement see if they will help . good luck and let us know how things go
Old 07-21-2016, 10:47 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks Carytowncat, I appreciate the support. It's a lead a bit overwhelming to take on this project, like eating an elephant lol. Sounds like I will be spending so time "educating" the boys in blue regarding motor coaches. I also appreciate the job the police do but I'd be lying if I said they didn't still scare the crap out of me. Hopefully the west coast will be a little more chill.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:12 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

I'm planning to go to the next city council meeting to see if they can clear things up. I want to follow the rules. You are correct about the neighbor issue, he's a bully with a gun so we're planning to move asap. My mom lives in rural VA and we can finish the bus there before we head out on our adventure. This is my dream and I'm not letting anyone take it away.
Old 07-21-2016, 11:35 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Sorry about your hassles-my experience has been that most cops are pretty cool as long as you are-maybe I've been lucky. Where in rural Va? Its funny because my family lived in Mentor (and Mentor on the Lake) back in the day and I'm in rural Va. My grandmom told me about moving here in a Ford Model A(could have been a T) and 2 horse-drawn wagons between the world wars. She said it took about a month total.
marctheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:36 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
'Nother couple of Virginia folks? I'll buy you both coffee if you ever venture out Christiansburg way...
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:00 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Sounds like a whiny, nosy neighbor to me. But there is the issue of color. Many states require full removal of any & all "school bus" ID and often a change from the "official" school bus yellow.

Beyond that, it comes down to various city,local and neighborhood association rules and ordinances. Some areas are easy to live with while others are a total beotch. Definitely check the ordinances and confirm what the "official" position is.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 09:58 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

That's what's funny about this, I did check the city ordinance and you are allowed to park on over size vehicle, (it lists tractor trailers as acceptable) as long as they are parked 20 feet from the curb, which I am. The police didn't say anything about the color of the bus. First cop told me the bus was over weight but could not provide the ordinance number for me. The second cop said the bus was too long "it's over 30 ft" she said. "No its not" I said. "This bus is 28 ft long, I measured it." Cop, "school buses are over 30 ft" I pointed out that my but is a short bus (the big handicap symbol in the back should have clued her in). Then she said i"It's an eye sore and people complained" Okay, well I found 14 other over size, over weight, eye sores in the three blocks around my house and if the bus has to go, they all have to go too. It's only fair.

We will be in Shipman, VA once we get everything settled here. I'd love to meet up with some other skoolies!
Old 07-22-2016, 02:30 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Shipman is a pretty good hike for me but you won't be too far from Dapplecreek in Christiansburg. Good luck w/your bus and your move and keep us posted. Later, Marc
marctheprop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 02:35 PM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
The police didn't say anything about the color of the bus. First cop told me the bus was over weight but could not provide the ordinance number for me. The second cop said the bus was too long "it's over 30 ft"
This is were going in face to face with the code enforcement (what I call them) COULD help you in multiple ways. If/when you go in don't say anything about it being a bus. Just ask for the rules for parking a large vehicle in your place of residence. Ask if there is a weight restriction and anything else you can think of. Ask for it in print. Also try to get city logo or code stamp something that shows its from your city and not pulles out of a hat even business card.You could check online but if they don't keep it up to date you could get false info.

All this COULD help when if they show up again. Make copies so you can hand to who ever. If all falls in your favor and you are following all laws rules I can't see why they wouldn't tell who ever complains you are in the right and get over it.

This can also help with any tickets they have / might give for any reason. And again be cool about everything that's Gunna help a lot.

But maybe you won't have to go through all that if you are relocating the bus.

And DON'T GIVE UP ON THE SKOOLIE DREAM! It seams like there are more people who like the idea and will encourage you to keep going even want to see in.

Good luck!
Old 07-22-2016, 03:23 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks so much for the kind and encouraging words, living the life I've been looking for a place to put the bus in case things don't go well. I'm also looking into getting a consultation with an attorney. ...just don't completely trust the "code enforcers"
Old 07-22-2016, 03:34 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I've fought with code enforcement my entire adult life.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 07:39 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I've fought with code enforcement my entire adult life.
Cuz you're a rebel!
Old 07-22-2016, 10:44 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I am amazed at the things that I read here regarding restrictions on what you can park IN YOUR OWN DRIVEWAY.

On the street I can understand SOME of the restrictions. But in your own yard? That is nuts....

I do respect my neighbors and take effort to avoid doing anything that negatively impacts them. I don't think we need to legislate reasonable manners.

FYI: There is a 10 acre parcel down the road from me for sale for $60k. Plenty of room to park as many busses as your heart desires.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post

FYI: There is a 10 acre parcel down the road from me for sale for $60k. Plenty of room to park as many busses as your heart desires.
Party down the road from Steve's place!!!