RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 11-18-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: None
Coachwork: None
Chassis: None
Engine: None
Rated Cap: None
Real-World Upkeep / Repair Costs?

This evening, it came up in a conversation that, as my previous project was not a liveaboard and was never driven, I had no real unexpected expenses. This gave me pause for thought, wondering what everyone's experiences in upkeep and repair costs have been.

I am concerned about these costs as I progress toward making a move on another bus, as well as my relative physical inability to do most of the work involved. I will have a finite supply of money, and not much in the way of prospects for maintaining cashflow for such things, once that money is gone.

At the moment, my options include depleting my projected budget just buying a bus and fitting it out, only to have little to no money for fuel / insurance and no place to park it, or possibly doing a bare-bones alternative setup, and be able to afford property to park on.

I would have a tight enough budget for purchase and build-out, and even one or two expensive repairs could ruin me after doing so, especially if they occur frequently or close together enough in succession.

A blown or stuck brake chamber could be a real problem for me, as could a blown transmission. Even a bad starter or bad batteries could be disastrous without the ability to do the work myself and knowing I have funds to cover the cost.

In short, I am not confident I can afford the lifestyle once I get a(nother) bus.

"CHEESE_WAGON" <anomaly.va@gmail.com>

Former owner - 1989 Ford B700 64-pass Blue Bird
(Rest In Peace, Cheese Wagon)
CHEESE_WAGON is offline   Reply With Quote