Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2021, 01:58 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Really Cheap Internet If you Qualify

How does a Hotspot with truly unlimited, unfiltered, unthrottled 4GLTE sound to you? Ruth and I have been using this hotspot for a couple of years now. It works almost everywhere and we pay a flat fee once a year that comes out to about $11.50 per month. We can binge watch Netflix day and night, which we do when it is very hot outside. Our usage usually runs between 90GB and 150GB but we have been up there at 230GB in one month. NO Throttles.

We use the hotspot for all of our communications. We don't have a cell carrier. Instead we use Google Voice. Google voice is great because we can never lose our number. We have had the same GV number since 2008. It also rings on multiple devices. If you lose or break a device it is no big deal. Instal Google voice on the replacement device and log in....TADA your number and contacts are there.

Whats the catch? You must fall under some income limits. Ruth and I had no problem. We are poor.
Qualifying Income-Based Assistance Programs:
Documents must be dated within the last year and/or show current coverage at the date of submission.

Adult & Child Mental Health Case Management*
Employment Services (only if income-based in your state)
Extended Foster Care
Food Support (a dated letter showing current eligibility is required)
Financial Assistance, such as GA, TANF, etc. (a dated letter showing current eligibility is required)
Head Start
Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)
Medicaid or Medical Assistance (bring a document that says "MA" or "Medical Assistance" on it)
The National School Lunch Program's Free or Reduced Lunch Program
Section 8, Federal Public Housing Assistance, or Group Residential Housing (GRH)
Social Security Disability (SSD)
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Federal Pell Grant

For households that qualify under the net income test (200% federal poverty level- FPL) the following documentation will be acceptable as part of the application process. Annual benefits must meet the FPL guidelines (See table below) :*

The prior year's state, federal, or tribal tax return (W2 forms or pay stubs are not acceptable)
A Social Security statement of benefits*
A Veteran Administration statement of benefits* (VA cards alone are not accepted)
A retirement/pension statement of benefits*
An Unemployment/Workmen's Compensation statement of benefits*
Federal or tribal notice letter of participation in General Assistance*

Max Allowed Income per household size:
1 $25,760
2 $34,840
3 $43,920
4 $53,000
5 $62,080
6 $71,160
7 $80,240
8 $89,320

This is a NOT FOR PROFIT organization.
They also sell refurbished PCS and laptops CHEAP.
https://www.pcsforpeople.org/low-cos...obilehotspots/

Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 05:24 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
do they have regular plans for higher incomes? or is it strictly a low income setup? im trying to find something where im not throttled or limited to paltry 10-15GB plans for over $100 a month.. I wouldnt mind paying that if it was unlimited..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:22 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
do they have regular plans for higher incomes? or is it strictly a low income setup? im trying to find something where im not throttled or limited to paltry 10-15GB plans for over $100 a month.. I wouldnt mind paying that if it was unlimited..
Well, Christopher, you are really popular and your PM inbox is full. So, with apologies to the OP for a distraction to their thread:

Hi Christopher,

I didn't want to muddy that poster's low-cost internet thread, but thought I'd share this with you. We've been pretty darned impressed with The RV IT Guys' $99/month plan. We could have, probably, picked up something similar through Sprint (the network The RV IT Guys use) but they are a small company of like-minded nomads and they answer the phone when you call...so I like supporting them. We have one of their units at our home, providing all the internet for our AirBnB guests and for us. It's our only internet source and we must use a ton of data...but we've never been throttled and it works better than the HughesNet we had before.

Be well,

Ross and Kara
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:37 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Rated Cap: 4
Cricket, 100Go for $55/month on the AT&T network. We use between 200 and 300 Go a months. Works is Mexico and Canada, too.
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 06:55 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABBus View Post
Cricket, 100Go for $55/month on the AT&T network. We use between 200 and 300 Go a months. Works is Mexico and Canada, too.

thanks!! this is what I need my AT&T bill is over 100 and I only get 10 GB.. do you know if cricket requires a Phone? or can you just get a SIM to install in your own device? (I use a Dual SIM MikroTik router so my wired office phones work)
Old 06-22-2021, 06:57 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
Well, Christopher, you are really popular and your PM inbox is full. So, with apologies to the OP for a distraction to their thread:

Hi Christopher,

I didn't want to muddy that poster's low-cost internet thread, but thought I'd share this with you. We've been pretty darned impressed with The RV IT Guys' $99/month plan. We could have, probably, picked up something similar through Sprint (the network The RV IT Guys use) but they are a small company of like-minded nomads and they answer the phone when you call...so I like supporting them. We have one of their units at our home, providing all the internet for our AirBnB guests and for us. It's our only internet source and we must use a ton of data...but we've never been throttled and it works better than the HughesNet we had before.

Be well,

Ross and Kara

my experience was no good with sprint on the road.. but maybe they use Tmobile now? the Tmobile network works fantastic for me.. Ill def give them a shout out!

and ill look at my inbox I always forget that darn thing LOL
Old 06-22-2021, 07:13 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 2013
Chassis: IC RE
Engine: HT570 / 3500SP
Quote:
thanks!! this is what I need my AT&T bill is over 100 and I only get 10 GB.. do you know if cricket requires a Phone? or can you just get a SIM to install in your own device? (I use a Dual SIM MikroTik router so my wired office phones work)
Sim card, data only, works in both of my routers.
ABBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:17 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2011
Coachwork: Girardin Microbird G5 HC
Chassis: GMC 4500
Engine: Vortex 6
Rated Cap: 24
Hi everyone,

I'll throw in my two cents....

For internet, I use Visible owned by Verizon, for $40.00/mo.

I purchased a cheap phone from Visible, along with a travel router (which must have a bridge) from Amazon; connect the router up to the phone's hotspot; then I connect my tablet, laptop, etc., to the travel router.

I have no complaints for internet service.

I also have ATT for cell service at $60/month. No hotspot available on that plan, but I can use my phone when home in Canada, with no roaming fees. So it is worth the extra cost.
Vineyardseashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:34 AM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
This one is strictly low income.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
I have the T-Mobile 100GB/$50 (it went up fit sale today again!), the AT&T 100GB/$55, and the Visible 5Mpbs/unlimited for $40 as backup.
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 11:59 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert06840 View Post
I have the T-Mobile 100GB/$50 (it went up fit sale today again!), the AT&T 100GB/$55, and the Visible 5Mpbs/unlimited for $40 as backup.

how the heck are you guys getting these prices? im getting quoted hundreds of dollars for unlimited non throttled or plans that offer any more than say 20 or 30 gb max.. most less
Old 06-23-2021, 12:54 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 26,000 lbs
T-Mobile revoked the 100G plan a month or so ago, brought it back literally today. It doesn’t advertise that plan and you can’t find it on the website, but chatting with reps on the TMO homepage worked out for me twice.

AT&T goes on and off too, and they focus on business accounts. There is also a Cricket plan for $55/100G that has been available for a few months consistently, but it’s network managed more aggressively. HOWEVER, most Cricket plans do not work any more on legacy 4G routers, use their IMEI check before you sign up. Older Qualcomm chipsets used in cat 4 modems used by Pepwave and pretty much anyone else have been blacklisted for unclear reasons.

The Visible plan - Visible is a Verizon subsidiary - works ONLY on phones. All routers are blacklisted. Only one tethered device on the hotspot is allowed, so you need to double NAT if you need it shared.

All plans throttle video (as they should, in my opinion).

But for $150 a month I have all three carriers - 200GB on the routers on AT&T and TMO, and then Verizon where the above two fail. It has served me well everywhere except in Maine, which is U.S. Cellular territory.

I use a Franklin T9, a Coolpad surf and a Wingtech HS1 for the Band 71 support on T-Mobile, a Netgear LB1120 on AT&T for band 14 support, and a ZTE Blade Prime A3 on visible.

All are hacked with external antenna ports (Netgear has them natively).
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:06 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
For the folks who do not qualify there is the CALYX membership. First year 500.00 and subsequent years 400.00. https://calyxinstitute.org/membership/membership-levels
Old 06-27-2021, 06:34 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: MertoTrans
Chassis: Ford E-SuperDuty
Engine: 460 Ford
Anyone use Calyx? I am trying to fine something better that satellite for home use.
davidshelton is offline   Reply With Quote