Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
Skoolie

Replacement on an generator in an MCI coach

The generator in my coach is tired and under powered. I'd like to get something in the 18,000 watt range. Any suggestions?

Gypsy Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 09:48 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Not sure where you are but Wrico in Eugene OR does a really nice Kubota powered generator and will install it for you.

I wish I could justify the cost of one for my current bus. Put one in my last bus and loved it. Great equipment and great people to deal with.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:07 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Why so much power in a bus? Is it all-electric? How many A/Cs do you use? That much power is several, no, many, times more than in any house I have ever lived in, here or abroad! 150 amps is almost an industrial or commercial quantity of power.

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:36 AM   #4
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
She's gonna be big n heavy. I have a 10 KW Onan in mine.

Here is a 15 KW on a trailer- Mep 004a - could tow it along. does 3-phase, as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	mep004.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	15955

It's nice to be a mobile powerplant.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 10:48 AM   #5
Skoolie

Wow, do you have a mobile command site you are trying to power up? ;) 18kw sounds really big for a genset on what is basically a big RV unless you have some kind of specific requirements for that much juice.
lucasd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 05:21 PM   #6
Skoolie

I really had no concept of 18,000 watt generator. I just know I don't want to blow circuits so I asked about the maximum. Apparently the bus that I speak of has no generator at the present time. Everything runs off of an inverter when the bus is at idle. I can't seem to get the man I am buying it from to clearly answer my question on whether or not there had been one at it is no longer there or if it has always just been set up without. All of the appliances and the heat is electric and presently there is also one roof mounted air conditioner.
I will most likely have to run two twelve amp dryer/vacuumes, at least four full size box fans,one cage dryer, one recirculating bather(which is basically a small submersible pump)and most likely another a/c unit.These will run in addition to the air conditioner, the refrigerator, the lights, a television,an xbox, computer,a couple of cell phones, a microwave and a cooktop. There maybe a coffee pot in addition to that list and maybe an ice maker. So without having to total up each one of those things I'd just like to know the largest diesel powered RV generator I should get.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:07 PM   #7
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsy Clipper View Post
So without having to total up each one of those things I'd just like to know the largest diesel powered RV generator I should get.
No shortcuts here. You need to have a talk w/ your posse and decide on what is essential. Make the list.

You will pay dearly for a big generator that's capacity is underutilized. Generators like a load they were designed for, not lugging/wet stack.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 03:23 AM   #8

There are so many famous generator you can choose like weichai, volvo, perkins, deutz, yuchai and so other brands you can find on google.
I have a 6k propane generator, lasts about 4 hours on a 20lb tank, but since propane is for ever I plan on getting a large tank installed and feeding my dryer, generator and stove from the one tank.

I'm happy with mine. how ever it's important to remember that power from propane will cost you double the cost of power from diesel fuel as propane has a lot less "energy" when compared to diesel.
ShelleyWeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Take a look at the onan quiet diesels https://power.cummins.com/cummins-on...sel-generators . They offer up to 12 kw at 60 hz power. 12kw is 100 amp 120v service which I would think is overkill for most skoolies.
Booyah45828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 09:27 AM   #10
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Take a look at the onan quiet diesels https://power.cummins.com/cummins-on...sel-generators . They offer up to 12 kw at 60 hz power. 12kw is 100 amp 120v service which I would think is overkill for most skoolies.
Thank you guys so much for the replies. I'm going to stick with diesel because it's what the coach runs on. I believe the generator is directly tied into the fuel system for the engine. But I will need to investigate it a little more after I pick up the coach.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:55 PM   #11

Engine: Volvo
Hello, did you get any helps? 18,000 watts = 18 KW. For small generator, the price is not high. Usually, we provide big power diesel generator (power ranging is from 30KVA to 3125KVA electric generator). For small generator, you can select Honda, Cummins, Perkins, or others.

Anyway, hope can help you.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote