Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2022, 01:34 PM   #1
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Skoolie palooza 2023 ??

Skoolie palooza in 2023???

Since this would be a motivator and stick to actually get on the road I would like to know if it still occurring after last times problems.

We went in 2019 to SP and afterwards got involved in the ham radio crowd who invited us over. We got our tech licenses there,. Now generals..anyhow going of coarse here.

Skoolie palooza???

Thanks for anybody who has news in this field

joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:07 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Bump, anybody ?
Old 09-12-2022, 09:19 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i've kinda been following the news in the fb group.

looks like its going on this year. modified from the original. it looks like a pay event, registration
i think the same place, but idk for sure.

not the original palooza
Old 09-12-2022, 09:36 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
2022 Fiaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
i've kinda been following the news in the fb group.

looks like its going on this year. modified from the original. it looks like a pay event, registration
i think the same place, but idk for sure.

not the original palooza
----------------------------
That has been the popular expectation since the fiasco last year. The thread below details a variety of issues with the 2022 event, for those who wish to recap.

skoolie.net/blm-shuts-skooliepalooza-down

Many of the event volunteers & organizer considered 2022 to be the last year they'd be involved.

Rock-n-Ruth attended both meeting sites last year and may have updated info on this year's event, as well.
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 09:55 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
thanks for the thread.

i'm more confused than ever now.

Redmon? used to post here before palooza and his bus breakdown.

i thought he created palozza, but then someone else trademarked it.

idont read the threads to closely.

trademarking and organizing was certainly something redmon was against in his postings on this forum.
Old 09-12-2022, 10:35 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
It's our goal to make it, assuming it happens, this year (which would be our first). But that depends on the bus being done and our old dog being able to make the trip, both of which are questionable at this point.

If we do, it will be with the plan to be able to comfortably relocate elsewhere if it ends up being a cluster. Or maybe just set up camp somewhere else from the get-go & visit in POVs. Pretty much the only allure for us at the moment is getting to say we made one, and hopefully meeting up with some people we've been wanting to meet from here. But the continued lack of organization and almost non-existent communication isn't exactly confidence inspiring.

A year past last year's fiasco, and they're still communicating via vague, infrequent, and unreliable posts on FB. It's laughable. You could literally put up a single-page website in an hour with free hosting, no dev skills required.

Now they're apparently charging for tickets (I think. Maybe. Who knows?), but still no info on what, exactly, you're getting for your money, what the cost will be, if tickets will be limited, how/when tickets will be made available, or even where the event will be held? How can the people organizing this gig not see the problem here? This isn't something you just decide to do on a rainy afternoon. People need to be able to plan for these kind of events far in advance, and know that those plans won't be altered or abandoned at the very last moment.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 12:46 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Thanks for the lots of responses.. we hope to be in that area during that time and stop by to see if it worthwhile.
In 2019 it was not in ehrensburg but quartzsite and it was a pretty nice gathering with some vans from rtr.

Either way, hope to see some of you in Jan 2023.
Johan
Old 09-12-2022, 04:10 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas Vista
Chassis: 3600
Engine: T444E 175HP +AT545
The original guy that started Skooliepalooza's name is Don. A big guy about 6'5".

I was there at the first one, just south of the RTR circa 2017.
Enigmatic Nomadics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 04:40 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
I was there last year (at both places) and did enjoy seeing and talking to other skoolie owners and seeing their conversions. From what I have read on face book it will be at Ehrenburg Az. in exactly the same spot (on BLM land) which worked well in my opinion (way better than the first spot). Unfortunately there will be a camping charge from uncle scam for a group camp permit so I believe we are being asked to share that cost, it might also include a trash fee. Don't quote me on any of this but just repeating what I have read on facebook. I am warming up to going again if nothing changes in my life between now and then or fuel prices. Quartzite is the site of a giant RV show around the time of Skooliepalooza and the town maximizes both the RV show and SkooliePalooza by having a ginormous garage sale, it's impressive how many crafts and just plain junk shows up under a tent. It's a little way from where Skooliepalooza is planned and the town has more amenities then Ehrenburg or you can go to a larger city Blyth CA. just down the road from Ehrenburg for supplies. Quartzite is where half a million snow birds camp during the winter, that's impressive also. We did spend a couple days on BLM land at Quartzite boondocking, $180 for 180 days (or a weekly fee) with trash, water and dump available on the property to be used while there (no hook ups, your boondocking in the desert remember)
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2022, 11:03 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
this is not all the buses at skooliepalooza 2022 but most of them and that is not me saying "I'm here", this is someone else's picture I am using. If you count down about 10 busses from the "I'm here bus" I am the one with my black and white checkered awning out (it looks gray). If you look directly to the right of the "I'm here" you will see a lime green bus, that's "Knapp Time" bus, we did get to visit with them a little, they are on youtube big time approaching 350 episodes, they sold everything and live in their bus, hell of a nice bus. They and a lot of others take 2 vehicles to every destination, usually the wife driving the four wheel vehicle and husband driving the bus. They don't go very far, just hopping from one place to the next, eventually getting to their destination. Hooking up and unhooking a tow vehicle is a pain unless you are going a long distance (their words). You tube has many video's of this event, "Skooliepalooza 2022", if you look at enough you will see our bus being toured inside.
Attached Thumbnails
overhead of skooliepalooza.jpg  
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 07:57 AM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
thanks for the thread.

i'm more confused than ever now.

Redmon? used to post here before palooza and his bus breakdown.

i thought he created palozza, but then someone else trademarked it.

idont read the threads to closely.

trademarking and organizing was certainly something redmon was against in his postings on this forum.
Yep Don's a hell of a good dude.
I need to dig up his number and give him a call.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2022, 09:22 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Last year's event was poorly organized from the getgo. They didn't announce the location till the last minute. It's worse this year. There is a post on Thier Facebook page regarding the restructuring for this year and a flyer for an October event in Nevada. The link to check in for the October event goes to https://skooliepalooza.com/ That just says the website is temporarily down. Odd.

We won't be traveling to the Nevada event. Too far and too much fuel to waste to get there and find out that they called it off and didn't notify anyone.

My biggest complaint is the lack of communication.

Last year there was very little information and then just an x marks the spot post a day or two before.

They obviously had problems the previous year with BLM that they weren't talking about. This lead to the sudden move to California. The Californian BLM wasn't happy about the large group showing up without a permit and ran us off. The return to the traditional site in Erensburg was probably supposed to have a gathering permit, which we did not.

No one bothered to post any sort of community guidelines which may have mitigated some of the issues that occured. One important issue being trash.

For those who are new to boondocking and for some who need to be reminded, when you have a gathering like this, in order to not have public lands closed to us, each us is needs to practice waste management.

Always have a trash receptive for your site. One that you take inside at night to keep animals from spreading it around is best.
Pack it in. Pack it out. Don't leave anything but tire tracks behind.

If you make a fire pit, unmake it before you leave. Don't burn things like plastic and cans in it. Don't burn wood with nails. if you do then use a magnet to pick up all your nails from the ashes.

Don't even leave an ash pile. Spread it around so that it all returns to nature. The biggest concern that public land management has about a bunch of nomads in school buses is the impact we have on the land.

We were located on the "loud" side of the gathering where the music pounded all night. We were really disappointed to see that a number of people who moved Thier sites around left a mess behind. that's not they way to make BLM and other public land managers happy to see buses coming.

On a more positive note, just a reminder that we are located on 40 acres of remote desert in SW New Mexico. If you are down this way or passing through and want to boondock for a couple of days. Give us a holler at Freedom Field Deming, New Mexico (you can Google this for contact information)

If you are looking for building space and community see our boondocking and building thread.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2022, 12:24 PM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Great post above. Thanks for making it. Words to live by, at Skooliepalooza or anywhere else.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote