Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2018, 06:32 AM   #1
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Skooliepalooza III- 1/14/19-1/21/19

I found out recently that they have a Skooliepalooza meet in Arizona and they will be having their 3rd one in January 2019. Here is the site......
Skooliepalooza - a Camping & Skoolie Community Building Event

I thought it would be pretty awesome to attend one of these, but it's like 2300 miles away. I was showing the wife the map and when I panned west a little bit, I showed her Palm Springs and Aneheim is only a few hours away. She grew up in that area and has been wanting to go back to visit for a long time now.

Since we can kill 2 birds with one stone, we made it official and we are heading to Arizona to visit Skooliepalooza for a couple days and then heading west to visit her family and friends from way back. We have 2 weeks to do this and it's going to be an interesting adventure to say the least.

I know my bus is mechanically sound and will make the trip. I just need to finish up my bus in the next couple months and make sure we are good to go. Leaving NE Ohio in January could be a little sketchy, but I am sure once we get farther south, it will work out.

Anyone else been to a Skooliepalooza? Anything I need to know beforehand?I never been west of the Mississippi and this is all new to me.

Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:01 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 31 w/4 wheel chair spots
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
I found out recently that they have a Skooliepalooza meet in Arizona and they will be having their 3rd one in January 2019. Here is the site......

I thought it would be pretty awesome to attend one of these, but it's like 2300 miles away. I was showing the wife the map and when I panned west a little bit, I showed her Palm Springs and Aneheim is only a few hours away. She grew up in that area and has been wanting to go back to visit for a long time now.

Since we can kill 2 birds with one stone, we made it official and we are heading to Arizona to visit Skooliepalooza for a couple days and then heading west to visit her family and friends from way back. We have 2 weeks to do this and it's going to be an interesting adventure to say the least.

I know my bus is mechanically sound and will make the trip. I just need to finish up my bus in the next couple months and make sure we are good to go. Leaving NE Ohio in January could be a little sketchy, but I am sure once we get farther south, it will work out.

Anyone else been to a Skooliepalooza? Anything I need to know beforehand?I never been west of the Mississippi and this is all new to me.
If your planning on coming through I-80 near Omaha, I have ample parking if you need a rest stop.
Huskerbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:04 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown by Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: 230 HP DT 466e/MT 643!
Rated Cap: 16
Skooliepalooza is awesome!! We were at the 1st and 2nd. It is an amazing group of like-minded folks who share a love of the bus life. As long as our schedules allow, we hope to make this one too. You will be glad you went!!

John
johnbloem1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
0ver the rockies

tire chains. can you afford a delay due to road closure? I have crossed from oklahoma to california many times in my life. More than once in the winter. The road can get ugly from winter weather. The worst I have seen was one trip between oklahoma city and new mexico. average speed in a car was down to 16 mph. counted more than a hundred big rigs in the median or sides of the road. top speed was 25 mph. just no grip at all. snow packed to ice. seemed like the plow trucks could not get under it.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
tire chains. can you afford a delay due to road closure? I have crossed from oklahoma to california many times in my life. More than once in the winter. The road can get ugly from winter weather. The worst I have seen was one trip between oklahoma city and new mexico. average speed in a car was down to 16 mph. counted more than a hundred big rigs in the median or sides of the road. top speed was 25 mph. just no grip at all. snow packed to ice. seemed like the plow trucks could not get under it.

william
Taking the southern route to avoid mountains and snow hopefully!
Old 07-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3L
Consider taking US54 in NM all the way to Las Cruces, then I-10 to Phoenix, then west to Quartzsite. You can also avoid Phoenix by using I-8W to Gila Bend and cut north back to I-10. Go south as early as you can and then watch the weather. I used to come out of MN down to Wichita, and then follow 54 to 10 to go to Los Angeles to avoid bad weather and bad roads. A few more miles, but 100% on time deliveries!
Old 07-27-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
I'll be seeing you there! My plan is to begin full timing around march, so I'd love to make it out for a good trial run, and in front of other skoolie owners to get tips or ideas that I wouldn't have thought of.
Old 07-27-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post

Thanks for this post! I had no idea this convention existed.
Old 07-27-2018, 05:47 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
This would be perfect timing for us. Can just take the month of January off and head out there. Our bus should be usable soon, and done by then.

Ashtabula Ohio? we moved an antique railroad car out of there a few years ago. It is under restoration now. Bus comes first though. I have done enough railcars that we can slow down on that a bit.

Thanks for the post
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 06:26 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Maybe several of us can meet and convoy along the way if we time it right. I am doing this on a 2 week vacation schedule. I am leaving NE Ohio on Sunday Jan 13th and will be traveling at 60 mph down 71S through Tennesee and taking 40W into Albuquerque. I don't want to go through the mountains, so making a left at Albuquerque and dropping down to I-10 into Arizona.

Hopefully get to Quartzsite on Wednesday and then spent 2 days there. We will then head into California to visit family for a few days.
Old 07-27-2018, 07:14 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Depending on weather we would take 81 south to 40 through Tennessee to Arizona , getting off at Holbrook to wander down to 10 in Phoenix. Have done this a number of times. For us it is three days and about 4 hours to Phoenix. 10- 12 hours driving each day.

Dropping down to 10 sooner if there is snow .

It might be a possibility to convey.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:10 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Is that route between Holbrook and Phoenix pretty flat or mountainous?
Old 07-27-2018, 08:36 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Engine: Dt466e
Rated Cap: 71
My route out of DFW will take me on 40 as well. That would be cool to meet up en route. There's a chance I might be making a stop in Albuquerque to pick up a friend as well
Old 07-27-2018, 08:42 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

Mountains all the way, lots of fun to drive. You will be decending from a high of 7700ft in Heber down to phoenix which is less then a 1000 ft elevation. There are a few mountain ranges to go over though to get down to Phoenix. If you do not have a jake brake or retarder then gear down. It runs about 6%.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:23 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
I40 from Amarillo westward past Flagstaff is subject to blizzards and short closures. They get it open fairly quickly because it is so heavilly traveled, but it can still mess up a tight schedule.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:48 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

I have seen the gates along there for closing the road. I figure we will watch the weather, and if it does not look good will drop down to 10. 5 degrees and blizzards are not what I have in mind. Although I have done it. Froze my water tank too....

We want a fun trip not test our skills trip. So south we will go if need be.
Old 08-01-2018, 07:59 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
The big plus for I40 is that it goes past the Grand Canyon if you want to see it.... I10 of course allows you to see White Sands, Carlsbad Caverns, and visit Mexico If you care to.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

There's an RTR Meetup right after that in Quartsite as well. Hoping to make it to both if I can find the perfect bus and get it converted on time 😊
gypsyfiredance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 09:29 PM   #19
Bus Crazy

What is RTR?
Old 08-02-2018, 09:35 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i want to make this trip, this year. hope it pans out.

RTR is Rubber Tramp Rendezvous, people that make their living while living in vehicles - iirc