Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #21
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt View Post
You missed the smashed drivers windshield and right hand passenger window sixth from the rear. We all tend to see what we want to see.
Jack

Might be some truth in that. But I strive to not jump to conclusions. Perhaps I'm striving a bit too hard in this case

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:06 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
It's all good though it would be interesting to know the whole story.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:56 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
you should have a wallet full of $100.00 bills if you are going to go anywhere on your bus without a road service plan.
i have a question for NATIVE so maybe he can PM me when gets time.
but more important in this thread.
born and raised in the woods.
in the scouts since i was little and was an eagle scout before i played marine.
then made it back home all together somehow and raised my own two boys up in scouting and many other boys as a scoutmaster and helping start troops in rough areas out in the middle of the woods/national forest.
and the hunters and locals dont care so its an easy community service project for the scouts to clean the sides of the national forest roads.
when we backpack on trails we pick up trash as we see it and even hand pull a wagon where we can because the trash can overload a young mans backpack quickly especially when we are heading in for a weekend and not when we are heading out when the pack is a little lighter because there food and water is out of there pack.
but they get a feal for the amount of trash around.
we always plan to make as least of an impact as we can and leave the place cleaner than you found it but sometimes the latter is a chore when backpacking?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:09 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Rated Cap: 76
Leave less trash on the ground than was there before you arrived, that's my ideal policy. I'm pretty sure cleanup will happen long before we leave a site- will probably be part of site-prep for us tbh.

The abandoned bus is interesting, would be good to get the whole story there. The white bus changing campsites: Even if the mess was already there, no excuses...

I will say, do be careful moving trash that isn't yours, though. Could contain needles or other hazards that could harm you, your kids/pets/whatever. Good to have a set of gloves and tools (picker-uppers, bins, bags, etc) for clean-up. And if the garbage looks extreme enough (like clear out in the open drug use) consider cleaning up and moving on without staying.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:53 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
My family has a 40 acre camp site up in northern Michigan and we see this sort of thing often. Kids head out into the national forest to tear one off or just sit around a campfire and are more than willing to dump their trash where ever they happen to be. We saw one oldster changing his car oil by draining it onto the ground then tossing the old filter and empty oil bottles into the nearest bush. Someone stripped out an RV trailer and dumped what wasn't useful in the middle of a field. My guess is that as city folks we have more respect for the wild. We also have cheap trash pickup.

My childhood home subdivision was built on an old farm and in the woods nearby there were three old cars that were slowly rusting into the ground.

I'm certainly not a fan of indiscriminate dumping but I get the impression that city and country folks have a different view of it.
Old 05-15-2020, 09:11 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Rated Cap: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
My family has a 40 acre camp site up in northern Michigan and we see this sort of thing often. Kids head out into the national forest to tear one off or just sit around a campfire and are more than willing to dump their trash where ever they happen to be. We saw one oldster changing his car oil by draining it onto the ground then tossing the old filter and empty oil bottles into the nearest bush. Someone stripped out an RV trailer and dumped what wasn't useful in the middle of a field. My guess is that as city folks we have more respect for the wild. We also have cheap trash pickup.

My childhood home subdivision was built on an old farm and in the woods nearby there were three old cars that were slowly rusting into the ground.

I'm certainly not a fan of indiscriminate dumping but I get the impression that city and country folks have a different view of it.

I grew up on a reservation where status was measured by the number of once-running vehicles littering your front yard (we only had 1; amateur hour). The shooting range was one of the multiple broken down cars in a 3 mile radius that had sat abandoned for years. The landfill was 10' off the entrance to every dirt road. One day in my hood & the guy who made this video would require psychiatric intervention

just to be clear, nothing I agreed with. HATE it. But, the way it was / is. You could literally make a living recycling.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:22 PM   #27
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:

Country litterbugs and City litterbugs are all the same A-holes to me.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:56 PM   #28
Almost There

Coachwork: Midbus
Chassis: Chevy Express G3500
Engine: 6.0 V8
Rated Cap: 12+2WC
After 10 months full time in our van and now 5 months in our bus, our experience has been that weekend warriors are the most likely to trash campsites. Full time nomads and the homeless both seem to be more aware of their impact and how folks view them than the locals who seem to act like they own the local getaway spots. Whether it is public land or a designated pay campground. Most of what we see right now during the pandemic are in state plates. These folks leave their trash overflowing outside dumpsters when they deign to throw away trash at all. Many leave pizza boxes and beer cans in fire pits. Broken beer bottle glass is a constant issue. We literally have watched people roll in on Friday, trash a site, and leave Sunday night. My DH and I have spent many hours cleaning up others campsites. We noticed this even when we were traveling in our van and staying in state parks before the pandemic. We like to clean up campsites to lessen the work for the hosts. I’ve never run into obvious full timers who trash campsites quite as much as weekend vacationers seem to do.

We’re currently experiencing fire weather warnings and have been stunned at the number of people starting campfires. Again, local in state plates. Maybe it’s the pandemic and folks have just lost their minds from the lockdowns but it doesn’t make sense. Midweek is always the nicest time out here for us. And in our book nomads are much better company than vacationers who come out to party and let loose.
LoveandRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:47 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: VIN = 1T7HR3B2311090770
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: ~72
2:18 & 2:33 look like attempts at shelters.
TaliaDPerkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 12:24 AM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 8.3 Cummins ISC
Rated Cap: 75
I remember seeing this bus on one of the facebook skoolie groups. It wasn't even a conversion really, just had most (but not all) of the seats removed. The interior was really bad, like bio hazard level bad. I remember seeing used needles on the floor in one of the photos!! Not a good sign.

It's people like this that get the legitimate skoolie folks kicked out of nice free spots every year. People wonder why the public lands and nice public parking areas are getting shut down, it's because of people like this that don't make any attempt at being respectable and leaving bags of trash and worse laying around.
WIbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:56 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
i have a question for NATIVE so maybe he can PM me when gets time.
but more important in this thread.
born and raised in the woods.
in the scouts since i was little and was an eagle scout before i played marine.
then made it back home all together somehow and raised my own two boys up in scouting and many other boys as a scoutmaster and helping start troops in rough areas out in the middle of the woods/national forest.
and the hunters and locals dont care so its an easy community service project for the scouts to clean the sides of the national forest roads.
when we backpack on trails we pick up trash as we see it and even hand pull a wagon where we can because the trash can overload a young mans backpack quickly especially when we are heading in for a weekend and not when we are heading out when the pack is a little lighter because there food and water is out of there pack.
but they get a feal for the amount of trash around.
we always plan to make as least of an impact as we can and leave the place cleaner than you found it but sometimes the latter is a chore when backpacking?
Wait, you actually went outside in the boy scouts? My troop in suburban Ohio never did anything like that.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:47 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'm a big supporter of scouts. I was in cub scouts and boy scouts.
They really do a lot to teach kids about social responsibility and civic duty.

You can tell that no too many folks these days grew up with scouting.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 09:49 AM   #33
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I am an Eagle Scout product of the '80's. Back then Scouting was a great program. In the main group of 8 boys that hung out together, 7 of us made Eagle. 30 years later, all of us are still in contact one way or another. My best camping memories are with that scout troop. We extreme camped every summer, and we always packed out more trash than we made! In the last 10 years, the Scouting program has been sucking canal water! Way too much corporate shenanigans going on. Sir Baden Powel has done a complete 360 in his grave over what his vision has become.

I have a cousin we go camping with occasionally. When camp is packed up and we are 100% loaded up and ready to pull out, he makes his kids get out of the van and do a trash sweep. All 11 of them! Even the 2 year old. Pick up 10 things that don't belong. I really appreciated this last time when it was my yard they camped in! We are all headed out into the desert this weekend for some social distancing. It's kinda hard to maintain the 10 or less rule when there is 13 of them to start with! We'll do our best by staying in the vast desert away from everyone else!
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 10:20 AM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackE View Post
I have a cousin we go camping with occasionally. When camp is packed up and we are 100% loaded up and ready to pull out, he makes his kids get out of the van and do a trash sweep. All 11 of them! Even the 2 year old. Pick up 10 things that don't belong.
That's....that's awesome. What a great thing.
Old 05-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:

I have to disagree about city folk having more respect.
A Richard is a Richard no matter where he's from (no disrespect meant for anyone named Richard) you'll figure it out!
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscar1 View Post
I have to disagree about city folk having more respect.
A Richard is a Richard no matter where he's from (no disrespect meant for anyone named Richard) you'll figure it out!
Just don’t dis Rod Johnson!
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:13 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Just don’t dis Rod Johnson!
And we have a winner!
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 03:51 PM   #38
Bus Nut

I use to have a co-worker who's legit name was Richard Johnson. We called him Double D!

Another one who's name is William Williams. He is called 2 Bills.
Old 05-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
My nephew is named Richard Johnson! He is probably the nicest soul one could meet.

Edit: I may be biased.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
My nephew is named Richard Johnson! He is probably the nicest soul one could meet.

Edit: I may be biased.
No way possible they are the same guy then. This guy is a cantankerous old man! I would just as soon listen to the ramblings of my crazy ex-wife as listen to this guy talk about himself!