Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2021, 03:44 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Skoolies Out For Summer - Austin, TX gathering

"Skoolies Out For Summer" - June 11-13, 2021, Austin, Texas
Hosted by the Texas Music Ranch on the SE outskirts of Austin. Literally overnight, this event has gone from conceptual, to approved by the host, to the brainstorming and planning phase. We want this to be a gathering by skoolies, for skoolies. So, we have some questions for you, my friends:
What would *you* like to see in a skoolie gathering? Is 6 weeks out long enough for you to make it?
Are there any conflicts with the dates?
What would you feel is a fair cover charge to cover the host's facilities, materials, and staff costs? Including camping for the weekend.

What would you need to feel safe at a gathering?

Would you be interested in doing any workshops?

What types of music would you like to hear/see? Live bands of DJs?

What can we do for the kids?

Would a cook-off or potluck be fun?
What kinds of games or contests could we have?

Are you interested in classes or speakers?
This can be *our* event. Let's work together to make something awesome! https://www.facebook.com/events/3999343863477861

wanderingturtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:43 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingturtl View Post
"Skoolies Out For Summer" - June 11-13, 2021, Austin, Texas

1) What would *you* like to see in a skoolie gathering?

2) What would you feel is a fair cover charge to cover the host's facilities, materials, and staff costs? Including camping for the weekend.

3) What would you need to feel safe at a gathering?

4) Would you be interested in doing any workshops?

5) What types of music would you like to hear/see? Live bands of DJs?

6) What can we do for the kids?

7) Would a cook-off or potluck be fun?

8 ) What kinds of games or contests could we have?

9) Are you interested in classes or speakers?
1) a location that is not in a Nazi state. Austin is nice, but TX criminalizes freedom. How about a legal state?

2) how could one say, when there is no mention of what the "facilities" are. A single overfull port-a-potty? Private hot showers? Something in-between? I can "camp" free anywheres, and poo in a 5-gallon sealed top bucket. I can sponge bath with 1/2 gallon of water or less. Where is my hot shower? Then I pay. And what "materials"? Do you think I should pay for giant plywood billboards around the fair site? I don't want to come if you are wasting wood like that. Trees are having a hard enough time lately. Staff? to do what? I could just go to a skoolie meetup or the RTR and not pay there.

3) no cops. Too many of them kill people, or (violently) throw them in jail for non-violent harmless actions ("it's my job" was what the Nazi prison camp soldiers said), or beat them up for thought crimes, or simply violate their rights and the law with an attitude of indifference and/or arrogance. Sociopaths drawn to the profession that enables their bullying. Most of the rest hide behind the thin blue line. That has been MY experience with them in the last several years.(...wait, most of my life!) My last 3 encounters, and I was NOT violating any laws. 20 years ago the pigs in Roland, Oklahoma threatened to KILL my family ("shoot her in the head" he said as he laughed a sick laugh) if I didn't sign papers on the spot claiming "guilt" and pay a $1100 "fine". I did not think they were kidding around. Cops make me feel UNSAFE. Sorry if the truth insults you. Seems to me some decent EX-LEOs are on this site.

4) doobie rolling while driving a moving vehicle on a 4×4 road. But not in TX. So, NO.

5) any live music, especially jazz/bluegrass/rock/blues/country fusion. Americana style. Nothing with artificial rhythms. I can be my own DJ, and will likely play better music.

6) Wan-tons. Make wan-tons out of them.
Seriously, though, kids are great! I would be happy to hear them laughing and screaming around me. Pink Floyd actually used audio clips of kids in a playground for their live shows (in the song "Embryo"). True music! I'm too old to know what kids like to do now-a-days, but my suggestion is outdoor activities, nothing to do with digital media.

7) I like to cook. I could make some food that even Cattalackid would eat!

Pin the Doobie on the Donkey. We could use a pic of Biden as the Donkey. He is a democrat, after all. Too bad he still wants to criminalize harmless peaceful freedom.

9) Any classes on solar/electrical/batteries tech would be interesting to me.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:51 PM   #3
Bus Nut

They cancelled Burning Man in Nevada again for 2021.
Texas is hotter and more humid than NV in Aug, so everyone is safe?
Or just everyone fully vaccinated in Texas now?
Or should old people just be willing to die of Covid to keep profits flowing,
as the Texas Lt. Governor says.

Is there some urgent need to have a big gathering of strangers in June?
Oh wait, we are 'family', that word used whenever you are NOT family,
like one of my previous employess, we are family. You don't fire family do you? Yes we do.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:02 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
I don’t know wanderingturtl ?? Doesn’t sound too promising for some. All I can say is WOW !!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 10:06 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
I’ve never been to a gathering so I don’t know what to expect. But I am interested. I am also planning to be traveling thru Texas in June. NOLA to Las Vegas with no timeframe.

Put me down for bands and pin the doobie. [emoji41]whoo!

I prob won’t be comfortable touring each other’s busses due to the confined spaces but we could improvise.

I’m fixed and I have all my shots!

Peace y’all
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:22 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I support the Blue, so I won't bother you with my presence.

Someone suggested in stead of Burning Man, we should ahve a Burning Mask Festival, there would be plenty of fuel.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:53 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
Thank you o1marc. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 01:30 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

As an Austinite.. i can share that Austin PD are no longer giving citations or arresting people for misdemeanor weed offenses

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/lo...nd%20regulated.
Brian TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 05:34 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
I’m with O1marc. I too will not bother anyone with my presence as well.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 08:22 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Did I miss something?

I don’t think the OP said anything to disrespect law enforcement.

Peace y’all
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 10:50 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
You want to start a brand-new gathering of people from all over the country now?!
One word, my friend: India.

(I received my second Moderna shot two days ago -- huzzah!)

As for Item 5, if I go to such an event next year, I would bring one of my grand pianos (normally used at Burning Man), for any and all to play.

Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:25 PM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
I don't dis-respect law enforcement. And I didn't dis-respect law enforcement with my statements of true fact. I do dis-respect bad "cops" (really criminals) and the rest of them who do nothing about the bad ones.

Or the ones like the guys who showed up at my mom's house 2 years ago, pounding on the door. It was election season, and people were politically soliciting us every week. I was doing dishes (by hand) and ignored the knock, but it continued. So I look out the side window and see 7 cops in the front, one walking through the flower bed to peer inside the window (peeping tom, invasion of privacy - when alone at home, I am usually naked. Maybe my 78 year old mother would be, also? They don't know!)

I walked back to the kitchen, grabbed a towel to dry my hands, and walked around to the front door. But they had opened it. No warrant. No report of any crime. No "suspicion" or any reason to be. It does not "open" by itself. It won't even "swing" by itself, yet it was fully wide open.

I asked the cop at the door, with the other 6 standing behind him (the guy came out of the flower garden), "why did you open the door?"

Looking me directly in the eye with a MEAN look in his eyes, and an arrogant defiant tone in his voice, he lied to my face like a sociopath does: "It was open".

"No, it was closed." I said.

"It was open" he insisted.

I was just looking at him with the door closed through the window! I had walked by the door all day.

The rest of the "cops" just sat there, saying nothing. I could see the look in their eyes. They were "good guys". But they were weak loosers who won't stand up to a bully.

Before I could say anything else he changed the subject to why he was there: my insane mother had apparently told the bank she couldn't pay her mortgage payment (because my insane sister twisted her into signing a lease on a store in a mall location, for a business that has not made a profit in 10 years, and it was costing my mom $6000-$12000 a month in cash) and she always plays the "victim" card when she can't win and apparently said something about suicide. That lightened me up on the cop. Yea, it was all BS on her part. She is all BS. But that's another story.

But after talking to me and calling her, he didn't even say "goodbye" to me. Completely impolite. A real jerk. Angry arrogant attitude to the other cops with him.

After that my attitude in general towards cops in general, because of the 6 who said NOTHING in the face of a lie, has become one of no respect. Not dis-respect. Just no respect.

And then last year I was parked in a gravel parking lot on private property with no signs restricting parking in any way, so I could walk at night in a nice part of town. I got back at 10:00pm and waited for the windshield to de-fog. A cop showed up, came to harass me with, again, an angry arrogant attitude, shined his high-powered LED flashlight directly into my eyes repeatedly (that hurts - that's abuse!), checked my license, and told me not to park there again. "Am I doing anything illegal?" "No, you just look suspicious". Go mind your own business, copper! Or go bust a real criminal, instead of boosting your ego pickin' on a skinny little guy.

How about the time in 2003, the year after the pigs in Roland kidnapped and robbed me. On Dead tour, in Camden NJ. Best shows of the tour (I saw them all). WORST place to see a show on tour. One Head told me her friend left the show the first night, got lost in the 'hood nearby, driving down a road with no traffic, just cars parked on either side. A full-size van came to life just as they were about to pass, the van jumped into the lane, and they hit head-on, totaling the car. Four guys with guns jumped out of the back of the van and robbed the folks in the car, and disappeared into the night.

So what do the local cops focus on? That night I made it back to my car, and there was a party in the lot I was in (20 min walk from the stadium). I was just hanging out watching the crowd when 3 cops came up out of nowheres behind some guy selling his food and clubbed him on the back of the head with the billy-club. He never saw it coming. He was on the ground convulsing. The PIGS just kept walking, as the crowd ran. I hung out there till the end, staying away and watching as they circled the lot.

Then I left, and drove an hour to a campground I had rented way out in the countryside, no town nearby. The lady was so rude to me when I checked in earlier, because I had long hair. She was sure I was going to trash her spot. I pulled off the exit, and was immediately followed. Another car appeared behind the one following me. I got to the stop sign, stopped fully, put on my turn signal, and turned, and on came the blue lights. For 45 minutes they harassed me, maybe 6-8 guys (I forget exactly) holding their billy clubs in hand in a circle around me, just begging me to make a wrong move, illegally searching me, etc.

I am not a criminal. I have done nothing to nobody. I would hate to imagine what it would be like to be black!

And what have they done for me? When I am wronged by others in society: NOTHING. I was attacked from behind (likely by psycho-meth-heads) twice in Hawai'i, and what did the cops do? NOTHING. My mom was ripped off by her boyfriend when I was a kid, had proof, and what did the cops do? NOTHING except blame ME! Do I look like her boyfriend? I was there talking to the cop with my mom for over an hour, and the cop obviously didn't care enough to even listen to the story and get it right! NO YOU IDIOT, HE'S ASLEEP IN THE BACK ROOM, LIKE WE TOLD YOU 10 TIMES THE LAST HOUR!

Or how about the simple time I first went through the LA airport to Hawai'i. You have to change concourses; grab your luggage, get on a bus from one to the other, recheck your luggage, all in 45 minutes. I asked a cop standing there where to grab the bus. He looked at me with an angry mean look and snarled and pointed.

I'm not some low-life scum. I don't deserve to be treated that way, and expect a public servant to treat me with respect. I estimate 50% of cops have not.

How about the cops in American Falls, ID. They harassed me for 45 minutes when I ran out of gas. One was nice enough to give me a ride to the gas station 3 miles away and back. He was polite enough to shake my hand (or was he looking for sweaty palms?.....) but he still harassed me the whole time, sure I was a criminal, trying to get me to "talk". Why? He told me: I had an older vehicle (about a 25 year old truck).

But it's not just about me! How about those pigs in Loveland, CO, who abused that little old 73 year old frail lady with dementia, and then were caught on tape laughing about how they hurt her (dislocated her arm). Or the folks with mental health issues that the "cops" have killed. Or I could go on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on, about my experiences, or the ones in the news.

These are not "good guys" trying to make our world safe. They are bullies with a badge.

These are sociopaths!

But until GOOD cops clean up their own house, I can not respect them in general. I don't dis-respect them, just make statements of FACT.

I met a good cop years ago, and we were talking one day. He was saying most cops take martial arts classes to learn to beat up the "problem" suspects. His words, his assessment, not mine. He said he took Aikido, a non-violent martial art designed to apprehend the most violent folks without hurting them.

Sorry if you folks have never experienced bad cops before. I have all my life. And I'm sick of it.

"Those who would give up liberty for security deserve neither". I heard that years ago, thought it was someone else, but recently I heard Benjamin Franklin said it.

Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness.

The Bill Of Rights.

and all that

Except when the cops want to harass you, according to the Surpreme Court.

I don't feel secure because of cops on the watch. What cop is going to stop someone from robbing me or killing me? NOT ONE.

Except maybe the ones keeping crazy speeders and reckless drivers on the highway under control. That is a good reason to have cops, and one that I appreciate, until they decide to pull me over for doing 65 in a 65 zone, like the one in North Carolina did.

"Why are you going so slow?"

"I'm just trying to do the speed limit while you ride my a** for 20 miles!"
"I thought you were drunk."

BS. He didn't like my bumper sticker, and decided to harass me, and after 20 miles of perfect driving, he just made up an excuse.

Peace to all the GOOD cops an GOOD ex-cops on this site and everywhere.

But Aloha to all, even the pigs. Not that they know what to do with it, except take advantage of your kindness.

(boy what a waist of my time!)
Old 05-01-2021, 03:04 PM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post

Someone suggested in stead of Burning Man, we should have a Burning Mask Festival, there would be plenty of fuel.
We would attend "Burning Mask" if it was not to far to travel. Currently I am more rooted than I would like to be, but travel outside of about 400 miles is to far. Oh, wait you were adding humor? It's hard for me to tell...Aspergers
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 03:12 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
(boy what a waist of my time!)
Waist is where my belly fat is. Waste is what you throw away. Which one did you mean? I think I might get the joke if you meant waist ironically.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 06:58 AM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

anyway, I made a website for the event now. Check it out and lmk what you think!

www.skooliesout.com
wanderingturtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 2007
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderingturtl View Post
anyway, I made a website for the event now. Check it out and lmk what you think!

www.skooliesout.com
Great looking website, looks like you guys and gals are going to be having a lot of fun. Wish we were able to attend but I don't think we could afford the fuel bill.
Stay safe out there
Cheers

Oscar
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:21 PM   #17

You don't know Austin

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post

Someone suggested in stead of Burning Man, we should ahve a Burning Mask Festival, there would be plenty of fuel.

First, I live too near Austin. I avoid the city like a plague. Hill Country is good.

Second, I am with the Blue also. I like having them around.

Third, IT IS HOT AS HELL IN JUNE!
DJGlover7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 10:10 PM   #18

Year: 1993
I too am from central Texas, about an hour south of Austin. Yes, it's warm there in June, but not NEARLY as hot as July, August and even into September. If we want our kids to be able to attend, June is the best month to consider. Sounds like you're trying to get some comraderie going, and I appreciate that! We are working on our bus, probably won't have it done in a month, but would love to come check out what others have done! I'm in!
Old 05-06-2021, 05:19 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: International CE
Chassis: CE
Engine: 7.6
Rated Cap: 26 seats
Hey Turtle, just a cautionary word or 2 for you

Fyre festival

don't make those same mistakes!
slowstepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:21 AM   #20

Questions about the gathering

Hi there,

Long time Lurker, long time bus envier, and first time posting here.

I have a couple of questions about the event.

1. Will visitors that do not yet have a bus be allowed to come for the day to see all the busses?

2. If so, will there be a cost associated with that?

I am trying to get my wife on board with getting a bus to convert, but she keeps saying she needs to see some first.

Thank You
Geocachedad is offline   Reply With Quote