Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-15-2023, 10:49 AM   #1

Solo life on the road?

Hi folks. Long time lurker, first time posting. Long story short I'm almost a year into my build (35ft FE flatnose) and now I'm going to be single. I planned a lot of this to work for two people working together, and I'm really nervous about going solo on the road full time.

Be honest with me, how hard is solo life on the road? Especially if the bus is your only vehicle? I'm going to have to make some choices real fast and I could really use some firsthand experience to guide me.

Thank you so much for any advice you might have. I've already learned so much from this forum and I'm eager to hear what y'all have to say.

Aurora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 12:21 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
I haven’t gone full time, but I travel alone unless you count my dog who is pretty good company. I’ve also moved to a town where I don’t know anyone and I’m remodeling a house single-handed.

I have close friends that I call and text pretty regularly and that helps.

Doing things alone sucks sometimes. Having extra hands and moral support is a big deal and I sure wish I had that in my life. Oh well. It’s not enough to quit, hang it all up and sit around doing nothing. I just get on with it.

One really good thing about going alone is that you make your own itinerary and follow your own whims, not having to worry about someone else’s desires or schedule.

Going alone also has the possibility of opening oneself up to the world, increasing opportunities to meet more people.

A 35 foot bus is a little harder to park in congested areas, so urban zones are going present challenges, but that won’t change whether or not you are alone. You’ll also find that it’s the same in small roadside towns where you might not be able to find space right out front. If your concern is getting around while the bus is parked, get an ebike.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 12:45 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I havenít gone full time, but I travel alone unless you count my dog who is pretty good company. Iíve also moved to a town where I donít know anyone and Iím remodeling a house single-handed.

I have close friends that I call and text pretty regularly and that helps.

Doing things alone sucks sometimes. Having extra hands and moral support is a big deal and I sure wish I had that in my life. Oh well. Itís not enough to quit, hang it all up and sit around doing nothing. I just get on with it.

One really good thing about going alone is that you make your own itinerary and follow your own whims, not having to worry about someone elseís desires or schedule.

Going alone also has the possibility of opening oneself up to the world, increasing opportunities to meet more people.

A 35 foot bus is a little harder to park in congested areas, so urban zones are going present challenges, but that wonít change whether or not you are alone. Youíll also find that itís the same in small roadside towns where you might not be able to find space right out front. If your concern is getting around while the bus is parked, get an ebike.
You make some strong points, and my specialty is tenacity. I've been excited to start this adventure for years at this point and it's just gonna be a different kind of exciting this way. Thank you for helping me reframe this positively.
Old 12-15-2023, 05:12 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
I also have not had to go alone. I have a partner and 2 kids who are extremely excited for the build to finish so we can make trips. I can imagine if I were suddenly single I ask myself is the Bus build something I'd want to continue alone?

The answer for me is yes. If nothing else, to prove I can still do it myself, and I get to build it the way I want to instead of how my partner wanted it which is a bonus!

As the adventure will be fresh when you start out on the traveling part, the nights may get lonely honestly, and nothing is going to change that. But since I have a wife and kids, I would be begging for that alone time! So I guess you can't be happy fully in either situation, so it shouldn't deter you from making the journey anyway. Life goes on and so will you.

You will meet people on the road, just don't become one of those old hippy hags that nobody will want to be around. When in Rome, dress and act as the Romans do, you'll meet new friends. You can travel to meet other skoolie drivers on the same journey as you, some even single!

What I've observed from people who are alone on the road long enough is that they do eventually get too lonely and wish someone will rescue them from it all or have someone to be with, but that doesn't occur for a couple of years at least because you'll have so much adventure out on the road. Also use this time to go visit old friends and family across the country where you couldn't do so before due to "Obligations"... I mean right? Who needs those, you have a skoolie!
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 02:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post
I also have not had to go alone. I have a partner and 2 kids who are extremely excited for the build to finish so we can make trips. I can imagine if I were suddenly single I ask myself is the Bus build something I'd want to continue alone?

The answer for me is yes. If nothing else, to prove I can still do it myself, and I get to build it the way I want to instead of how my partner wanted it which is a bonus!

As the adventure will be fresh when you start out on the traveling part, the nights may get lonely honestly, and nothing is going to change that. But since I have a wife and kids, I would be begging for that alone time! So I guess you can't be happy fully in either situation, so it shouldn't deter you from making the journey anyway. Life goes on and so will you.

You will meet people on the road, just don't become one of those old hippy hags that nobody will want to be around. When in Rome, dress and act as the Romans do, you'll meet new friends. You can travel to meet other skoolie drivers on the same journey as you, some even single!

What I've observed from people who are alone on the road long enough is that they do eventually get too lonely and wish someone will rescue them from it all or have someone to be with, but that doesn't occur for a couple of years at least because you'll have so much adventure out on the road. Also use this time to go visit old friends and family across the country where you couldn't do so before due to "Obligations"... I mean right? Who needs those, you have a skoolie!
That's exactly the question I find myself asking now. Honestly I've toyed with the idea of a bus for almost 20 years but this is a lot more than I would have signed up for solo. Life comes at you fast I guess, and the reasons why I was drawn into this whole skoolie endeavor haven't changed.

What feels intimidating is stuff like changing these big tires on my own, what do I do if I get stranded on the side of the road with no secondary vehicle and no help to call, what am I going to do if I get sick for a week? Practical things that already had contingency plans for two people look incredibly different with just one. This is keeping me up at night! I mean, people definitely do these things and I'm a reasonably capable person, so I don't think it's impossible, but I would sure feel more comfortable with an idea of what that looks like in practice.

I appreciate your response, it was thought provoking and helped me narrow down some actionable questions.
Old 12-16-2023, 09:46 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post
That's exactly the question I find myself asking now. Honestly I've toyed with the idea of a bus for almost 20 years but this is a lot more than I would have signed up for solo. Life comes at you fast I guess, and the reasons why I was drawn into this whole skoolie endeavor haven't changed.

What feels intimidating is stuff like changing these big tires on my own, what do I do if I get stranded on the side of the road with no secondary vehicle and no help to call, what am I going to do if I get sick for a week? Practical things that already had contingency plans for two people look incredibly different with just one. This is keeping me up at night! I mean, people definitely do these things and I'm a reasonably capable person, so I don't think it's impossible, but I would sure feel more comfortable with an idea of what that looks like in practice.

I appreciate your response, it was thought provoking and helped me narrow down some actionable questions.
One thing I have learned about life is that your always alone. I mean you can have a ton of friends but at the end of the day you got to count on yourself to get things done the way you want them.

To address some of your concerns...

Yes it really nice and comfortable to have a partner, I have been married for 37 years.
When I get sick, she is there. when i am lonely, she is there.
When it comes to a flat tire, she is no where to be found!
When the car breaks down, she goes inside and says "let me know when you get it fixed!"

Life itself is a journey that many times we travel alone and if we are lucky we make friends/parnters along the way.

Don't begin living your life waiting for a partner to hold your hand along the way.

Live it your way, start today! everything else will come together when it is supposed too...heck who knows, maybe you find a new partner traveling down the road! you won't find one if your not traveling!

Don't be scared, make plans for emergencies. Road side assistance is there for tires, heck I won't do it!
Study as much as you can about your bus, how it is built, how it runs. The more you do these things the more comfortable you will be about any issues, good or bad, that may arise.

You may want to consider a small transportation car that you can tow with the bus. super helpful if you breakdown or maybe want to go into town and the bus is too big?

Above all, believe in yourself and once you do, others will believe in you! also, don't overthink it....just do it to the best of your abilities and enjoy the ride (life) !
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 07:57 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora View Post

Some grown men can't lift a 22R10 tire fully inflated. That's what tools are for. Crafty bottle jack setups etc. Removing the nuts, you can use heat. When you build your bus, if you add a propane tank, be sure to add a T nozzle to direct a spare channel towards the front so you can connect a propane torch. Whip out the attachment when it comes time to change the tire, and heat up the lug nuts for 10 seconds, then use breaker bar. Even a lady can remove them hot. All of these problems are superficial and can be worked around, just make the journey and ask questions to figure them out.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 07:00 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
You meet more people traveling alone. There are beautiful people out there! Travel restores my faith in humanity. You can become jaded viewing the world on a tv screen.

And chicks dig busses!!!
☮️Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 05:41 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 12v
You got this...
You've been single ("alone") before....you'll be just fine.
Think and prepare for the issues you'll face "alone" ... write 'em down, make a plan, and keep moving forward.
Ask for help along the way....like here....imagine doing this before the internet! (like the kid's from the 60's!)
fj40dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2023, 08:09 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 1976
Coachwork: bluebird
Chassis: F33695
Engine: 427 chevy converted to 466
Rated Cap: 84
Credit cards get tires fixed so don't bother trying to haul spare anything as far as tires are concerned. You will need to have transportation when you are parked, yes an electric bike would work....with luggage rack to haul groceries and ice or better yet a trailer. You will find someone out on the road that has your interests and a bus will draw them in. Go for it!
sportyrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2024, 11:50 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Traveling alone all the time on the road is a major shift, particularly when your original plan was for something else. I have been experiencing life in a bus for some time, and it has truly been an adventure. I began my journey with others, but as situations shifted, I found myself traveling alone. At the beginning it felt somewhat intimidating, yet soon enough I discovered my own pace.

Owning only a bus as your vehicle can be difficult, especially with keeping it in good condition and arranging things. However, the independence it gives you is without comparison. I discovered being organized and keeping a good routine is very helpful. It is also necessary to be able to change and adjust because plans often do not happen as expected when traveling.

Something that has improved my experience traveling alone is meeting other people who are also traveling and the residents of the places I visit. There's a strong feeling of friendship with these travelers, and you can frequently get help and suggestions when you don't anticipate it.

When I was feeling alone, like the time in Madrid, Spain, I changed my usual routine and reserved a guide https://gowithguide.com/spain/madrid for one day to explore more of what locals do. If you are fed up with being by yourself even if it's just for one day, this is something you can try.

Traveling alone has its good and bad moments, but it is also very fulfilling. You will discover much about yourself and the environment you are in. Good luck and keep safe!
Jamessmith0901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 10:43 AM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9L 12v
Woo Hoo.....you're making it happen!

There are so many things people miss out on by not taking the first step....and you're not going to be one of them!

If you knew what this adventure has in store for ya.....well.....time to do the next thing.....but this one awaits!
There will be good, and there will be challenges....because The Universe just works that way. Embrace them both, and know that they are both opportunities for growth. How you manage/react to them is completely up to you.
For example:
Hitting the road and stopping for the first night with your bedroom widow facing East. The sun comes up, and it being bright and warm wakes you.
Do you get up and make a cup of coffee and enjoy the magnificence of another sunrise like what's been happening in the same spot for THOUSANDS of years, or are you pissed that you're awake?

Or.....you wake up and find that you have a mechanical issue to deal with:
Bus won't start
Flat Tire
Oil Leak
etc etc etc

Do you feel overwhelmed and sorry for yourself.....OR......
Do you embrace the challenge and begin the solution process by accepting the challenge and knowing that, no matter where the process of getting there takes you, you're going to enjoy it, and know from prior experience, that it feels awesome at the end!

Like my kids say often:

YOLO!

Have an awesome day....because you want to!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fj40dave is offline   Reply With Quote