Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2021, 06:52 PM   #81
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVEHOLMAN View Post
I never owned one til I bought my first bus. It was indispensable, working in tight spaces. I now have two, so I don't have to change wheels so much. It's my go to tool for everything but drilling and hammering.
I also keep two- one for grinding one for cutting.

EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 07:13 PM   #82
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I have four angle grinders, thanks to me jamming the prior one and buying another in order to free it up, then instead just being lazy and using the new one until it also jams, rinsing and repeating three times. They're all useful but I really like the 4 amp one the best because it's so light - except for the frightening on/off switch with no dead man trigger.

Just remembered I've actually bought five angle grinders, but the first one I bought was stolen.
Old 06-02-2021, 07:15 PM   #83
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Ha ha, thanks for all this. Even during the stretches of my life when I was in a relationship, I just couldn't get to sleep with another person next to me, so for the sake of my sanity we had to make like we were in the Dick Van Dyke Show. If I find someone again, she gets the hammock. If she looks like Mary Tyler Moore (or Sally Field) maybe I'll get an air mattress.

The cot is really incredibly beneficial in terms of space. A queen or king bed would take up like 1/3 of my bus whereas the cot is essentially a freebie since it's up high and essentially just padding on top of storage. If I ever had to sell the bus (heaven forfend) I would add a 24" or 30" wide section that hinges up and turns it into a full or queen (with a queen I'd have to rotate the toilet to face backwards for leg room).

I've been happily married for 20 years. We never had a fight in that time nor have we gone to bed angry. Whats the secret? Much like yourself, I cannot sleep with someone next to me unless I am comatose. I sleep in a guest room and she sleeps in the master bedroom. It goes like this... We both go to bed together in the master and as soon as she starts snoring (My cue), I get up and leave for the guest room. In the morning, she comes into the guest room and naps with me for a bit. (Her once again ever so slight snore wakes me up to start the day) In the end, it is as if we stayed together. Sleeping is a personal and important thing. We also chose not to have kids. (Hence the lack of fighting) So in the end, I have more discretionary funds to play with in my life along with 4 cars a motorcycle and a bus Life is good. When you find the right person, it just all falls into place and becomes simply blissful to share your life without anything ever being a chore or a struggle to deal with.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:31 PM   #84
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Wait, techno music? That's where we part ways, my friend. Unless you mean the modern genre called "techno", which is just atrocious EDM (electronic dance music). '90s techno (Prodigy, Fat Boy Slim, Banco de Gaia, even Moby etc.) was the ****.
Ironically, the next day after your post I heard on the radio something about a German band that was "the roots of techno" in the early 90s. My brain never remembers names, but it began with a "P" (I think) and was a 2-sylable compound word. They said this band made techno music widespread around the world. The radio was in the background, so I didn't hear all the details.

They played samples of their music, and it was awesome. Really good. The guy from the band said it was "all analog, except for the digital processing of the vocals". I never heard the vocals, but what I heard has the Gnome's stamp of approval from me.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:37 PM   #85
Bus Crazy

My understanding of "techno" from the early 90's was a guy with big ego, and a midi keyboard and a computer with midi software, programming in all the sounds, and then playing them back. The stuff I heard was boring! That band I heard the other day was NOT that. Maybe I got turned off early by crap, and just never looked back.

Anyways..... bus stuff ..... yea..... sorry
Old 06-05-2021, 04:09 PM   #86
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
Ironically, the next day after your post I heard on the radio something about a German band that was "the roots of techno" in the early 90s. My brain never remembers names, but it began with a "P" (I think) and was a 2-sylable compound word. They said this band made techno music widespread around the world. The radio was in the background, so I didn't hear all the details.

They played samples of their music, and it was awesome. Really good. The guy from the band said it was "all analog, except for the digital processing of the vocals". I never heard the vocals, but what I heard has the Gnome's stamp of approval from me.
I'm curious to know who that "P" band was. Not "Kraftwerk", surely? They were influential but more like in the 1970s and I surely wouldn't recommend their music to anybody - very dreary in a uniquely German way.

Not German and not really techno and not really the '90s and it may not be your cup of tea, but my favorite electronic music is this band:

Old 06-05-2021, 04:10 PM   #87
Bus Geek

Quote:
Anyways..... bus stuff ..... yea..... sorry
Yeah, I got a few mild death threats for my "Home Cooking" thread here last year. Oh well.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:08 PM   #88
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I'm curious to know who that "P" band was. Not "Kraftwerk", surely? They were influential but more like in the 1970s and I surely wouldn't recommend their music to anybody - very dreary in a uniquely German way.

Not German and not really techno and not really the '90s and it may not be your cup of tea, but my favorite electronic music is this band:

I think it was Kraftwerk. Whatever clips they played on the radio were not dreary. Surrealistic and trans-hypnotic a little bit, maybe. And I swear they mentioned something about the early 1990s in the interview. And I don't think they even had digital signal processing until the 1990s, as they said specifically that the vocals were the only "digitally" processed sounds in their recording.

So I just listened to the whole album you linked, and tried to give it a fair shot.

"A new way for Gnomes to say Hurray!"? Hmmm.....wonder where they got that from .

It started real nice. The first 3 songs were OK. Then the synthetic rhythms kicked in full blast. My pet peeve is that 1-2-1-2-1-2 solid central digital rhythm with the accent on "2", sounding like a computer clapping its hands. It pervades pop and dance music from the early 1980s until today. Sounds like a recording of a factory. Even Nick Mason (the drummer in Pink Floyd) used it in his two solo albums from back then. Guess how many times I've listened to them?

But by the end, those repetitively repetitive rhythms get on my nerves. Makes me feel "spastic", "frazzled". High-energy, yes. That is good. But not like the high-energy vibes that the Rastaman Vibration talks about: high energy but mellow. (I heard that reggae rhythm in one of those songs) Some D.J. on the radio here plays old reggae and ska on Saturdays, and they are so nice, until he overdubs that frazzled spastic kind of sounds over them to "modernize" them. He does not understand. Sit in nature away from industrial sounds and meditate for a few days and feel your vibe change, and the stress melt away. Stress in your muscles you did not even realize. Try "progressive relaxation" tecniques (see u-tube). If you meditate regularly, and focus on your body, the muscle tensions, your pulse, breathing, etc. you might begin to understand. If you live in the big city and never get out, you will not have a clue what I'm talking about. This music will seem to relax you. Like trying to tell a man blind from birth about a stain glass window in a church, with the sun setting behind it.

Overall, the album you linked is a work of creative genius. But a collage. An assembly of samples and digitally created sounds, not a performance. A computer program; not an expression of the soul, but of the mind. That alone does not diminish it in my mind. It's just the digital rhythms that I "hate", and they do get a bit repetitively boring for me. But it would be interested to see a group of musicians perform it. I'd pay for that show.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:54 PM   #89
Bus Geek

Quote:
It's just the digital rhythms that I "hate", and they do get a bit repetitively boring for me. But it would be interested to see a group of musicians perform it. I'd pay for that show.
It's cool that you gave it a go. Shpongle has done a few shows with live musicians and drummers playing everything but it doesn't really sound any different.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:02 PM   #90
Bus Crazy

Quote:
It's cool that you gave it a go. Shpongle has done a few shows with live musicians and drummers playing everything but it doesn't really sound any different.
Well, I would hate to think that I'm missing something good simply because I'm closed minded! And the picture on the "cover" reminds me of Pink Floyd's album cover "Relics" combined with The Moody Blues' album cover "In Search Of The Lost Chord". The latter is one of my all time favorites of any band ever (other Moody Blues albums don't come close). So how could I pass up Shpongle?

If the drummers are that precise and mechanized, I would be in awe to see the show. One of those songs had me rapping my knuckles on the kitchen cabinets (part of that spastic energy that just comes out of my hands nearly uncontrollably sometimes) with a "jazzy" rhythmic callback. I enjoyed that part of the rhythms a lot. Then it just became too locked in to improvise over it without being the "superstar" leading the song.

I also heard the opening notes to "The Girl From Ipanema" in one of those songs. The older I get, the more I think:

Jazz. It's where it's at.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:54 AM   #91
Bus Geek

Quote:

Kraftwerk? I'd recommend them heartily! Great stuff- was groundbreaking.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:43 AM   #92
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Kraftwerk? I'd recommend them heartily! Great stuff- was groundbreaking.
Eh, I'd put them in the same category as Tangerine Dream (which I listened to extensively in my teen years). Their stuff was definitely groundbreaking, but it was based around the very limited capabilities of the synthesizer technology that existed at the time. I gave TD an extensive re-listening recently and IMHO their music just doesn't hold up any more (TBF I never liked Kraftwerk even back in the day - it was just too minimalist for my personal tastes).

I contrast them both with Vangelis, who was working with the same suite of synthesizers and sequencers but gave his music much more warmth and variety (I still listen to him today quite often). Or with the synthesizer work by progressive bands like Yes and ... Pink Floyd!
Old 06-14-2021, 07:50 AM   #93
Bus Geek

Quote:
Eh, I'd put them in the same category as Tangerine Dream (which I listened to extensively in my teen years). Their stuff was definitely groundbreaking, but it was based around the very limited capabilities of the synthesizer technology that existed at the time. I gave TD an extensive re-listening recently and IMHO their music just doesn't hold up any more (TBF I never liked Kraftwerk even back in the day - it was just too minimalist for my personal tastes).

I contrast them both with Vangelis, who was working with the same suite of synthesizers and sequencers but gave his music much more warmth and variety (I still listen to him today quite often). Or with the synthesizer work by progressive bands like Yes and ... Pink Floyd!
I love minimalist stuff, so I guess that's why our views of KW are so polarized.
Listen to their stuff on the regular.
Old 06-14-2021, 07:56 AM   #94
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I love minimalist stuff, so I guess that's why our views of KW are so polarized.
Listen to their stuff on the regular.
I think I'll give them a shot again. I suppose I should never badmouth a band I haven't heard in forty years.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:20 PM   #95
Mini-Skoolie

Smh. Ya that sucks for her. Sure its a nice build. Way nice. But i cant believe she didnt have anymore foresight or planning.

Thats pretty much an article of exactly what not to do. Seems like common sense to me.

Ima have a shower, toilet, sink, counter, couch, bed, stove, a/c (might need 2).. 400w solar, 240ah DIY LiPo.. LED lights... etc... going to be liveable. My build out cost fully calculated is like 5k. is it going to be fancy? no. is it going to work? maybe. haha. j/k. Hell ya it'll work for me.

And ill rarely pay to camp b/c im a cheap guy.

Im not planning on full timing it, but i want to be able to spend a month in it somewhat comfortably.
Fox Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:45 AM   #96
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
God, i must be really old !!! It was Emerson, Lake & Palmer for me !!! LOL.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 09:39 AM   #97
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Old or not, that was a great band
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 02:19 PM   #98
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
Old or not, that was a great band
Yes sir, they were.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 07:18 PM   #99
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Ha ha, my first band was Yes, then I expanded my mind a bit with King Crimson. I had a thing going for years where I would only listen to bands or musicians that had a Kevin Bacon-style link with Yes. King Crimson was OK because Bill Bruford was in one of their iterations, and Greg Lake went on to ELP from there. I listened to Vangelis because he did some albums with Jon Anderson (in fact Vangelis almost joined Yes at one point). I can't remember how Tangerine Dream was connected to Yes, but they were.

I will go to my grave thinking Asia was the worst thing to ever happen to music, though.