Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #1

Tips and Tricks: finding lucrative employment while on the road

Hello, lovely people!

I'm in the very early stages of my bus life journey. My boyfriend and I just officially decided it's what we want to do. He's a raft guide, kayaker, photo/videographer. He chases whitewater, so endless summers is what we're all about.

Starting now I'm focusing on 3 major things that will prepare me for bus life: downsizing my possessions slowly, getting rid of all my debt, and figuring out what I'll be doing for work while on the road.

I'll be able to pick up some work through the rafting community but really want to find a reliable source of income from remote work.

For those of you who live on your bus full time and travel frequently, what kind of remote work do you do? Any specific companies or fields that are easy to get into entry level?

I'm a writer and published poet. I've started to pick up editing and proofreading jobs online but it's going to take me all of this year to build up work samples, etc. I'm thinking I'll need to build this up so by the time I leave my comfy, full time, salaried job I have some freelance editing/writing/proofreading work lined up. I'm just curious what you are doing and if you have any advice in this arena.

Thank you! More questions surely to come from me!

guiapet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:23 AM   #2
Almost There

Learn some programming. It doesn't have to be the hardcore stuff like databases and data processing, but even HTML designers can make a lot of money and they're in HUGE demand right now.

Lots of free, high quality tutorials on the internet.

https://www.thunderstruck-studios.com/
ThunderstruckStudios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 02:42 PM   #3

employment on the road

I work online for a Social Media company so that works out as portable, but I also find network marketing to be lucrative.

I am a Holistic Health fan and just found a great new company that I started working with and am excited about.

I don't spam so if you want info, let me know.
danette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 05:21 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72
Seems like a lot of skoolie folks are into selling various multi level snake oils, or over selling their knowledge of things doing product reviews that are always 5 stars. I've met folks with legitimate sponsors getting paid to go to shows. Personally I prefer my integrity over a few bucks, but there's all types of folks in this big world.
Old 01-01-2019, 12:24 PM   #5
Skoolie

Begging on the side of the road must be lucrative.

Lot's of folks doing it!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Rated Cap: 72
I don't have a skoolie yet, but I do travel quite often and will be getting my skoolie in the following weeks.

I'm a full stack web developer, which just means I can make a website look nice and work nice. It's a lot of emails and back and forth conversations usually, then about a week or so of coding then a few more emails. About 30% of the time revisions are needed, but focusing on the more "mom and pop" places most are happy just to have a working website that looks nice and modern.

Most of the requests are based on existing frameworks, usually wordpress, and they just want a website "like that other person", usually a local competitor. Some will request a website clone like walmart or amazon, you'll have to either explain this is a massive scale project or simply deny the requests with a more brief explanation.

I use unlimitedtogo for mobile internet, and despite my high data usage (~300-900GB/month) it's proven very reliable and fast. $100 for actual unlimited mobile data.

Like ThunderstruckStudios said, the best thing about programming (not just webdev, but any programming) can be found online tutorials for free. A LOT on youtube that are great.
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:30 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokedown View Post
Seems like a lot of skoolie folks are into selling various multi level snake oils, or over selling their knowledge of things doing product reviews that are always 5 stars. I've met folks with legitimate sponsors getting paid to go to shows. Personally I prefer my integrity over a few bucks, but there's all types of folks in this big world.
I know what you mean.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:56 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Wow, not many options that sound legit. Travel writers? Selling unmentionables, like bootleg T shirts at concerts or something...
jayster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 11:27 AM   #9

Year: 1980
Engine: DD 6-71N
I realize this is an old thread, but one that I am very much interested in. Working on the road is what got me into purchasing a bus to begin with, as I spend most of my year traveling for work. At this time I am still flying to my projects and living in Airbnb’s or hotels, but look forward to the day my bus conversion is complete.
For all of you out there looking for work on the road, I am always in need of good hard workers throughout the nation doing merchandising and setup in hardware stores (DoIt Best Corp). Most projects are two weeks and I pay mileage and lodging.
We have upcoming projects in Cincinnati OH, Port Angels WA, Deadwood SD, and the Carolinas.
I hope this is not an inappropriate post.
Regards
JackMosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 10:21 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
I have no experience in what you are about to venture into, yet I have some thoughts.

1) Internet connection. Since Elon Musk has polluted our orbit with satellites, you will probably be able to get good internet connectivity no matter where you are. For you current profession (writing, editing, zoom meetings, etc.) it seems this will be a huge aspect of being professionally successful on the road.

2) About three decades ago, I read a story of a man and woman that quit their jobs, sold their stuff and house, bought an RV and traveled. One was the photographer and the other a writer. They wrote about all the little places they visited, published a book and it was successful. Why not you too!

3) There are so many jobs that can be done remotely these days. I imagine if you simply started trying them out either you'll find one you really like and works for you, or you can combine two or three to make a full time living.

4) Win the lotto!

Best of luck.

Tags
remote work