Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2018, 11:47 AM   #41
Bus Crazy

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Crown / Pusher
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
If I had listen to or followed my family Leads or advice I'd still be living in a God forsaken town & my choices would have been working in a dirty tire factory or building water heaters for not much more than minimum wage.

Stu & Filo. T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:24 PM   #42
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird All American
Chassis: AA RE 3903
Engine: 8.3L Cummins Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 36200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu & Filo. T View Post
If I had listen to or followed my family Leads or advice I'd still be living in a God forsaken town & my choices would have been working in a dirty tire factory or building water heaters for not much more than minimum wage.
Right??? I agree with this line of thought. If I keep on doing what I am doing, nothing will change. That about sums it all up for me.

I want more out of life for myself AND my kids. Living paycheck to paycheck is getting me nowhere, so for me to break this vicious cycle I have chosen to go the skoolie route. It's time I am more aggressive about getting where I want to be and getting what I want out of this life. My only regret is not doing this sooner! Plus, I believe going this route is liberating and I am all about that.

I believe that this will also teach my kids that if they put their mind to it, they can do anything. I have to be an example to them that anything is possible and happiness doesn't come from following the crowd all the time, but doing what is necessary in a healthy way to achieve your dreams.

We only live once so don't let someone else' ideals or opinions (assumptions, etc.) rob you of your dreams. I did that far too much seeking others' approval for far too long and won't continue doing that anymore. Granted, the Skoolie is only a stepping stool for me to get closer to my dream, but I know I am going to learn a lot and gain more self confidence. It truly is all about the journey, not the destination!
Mom2three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #43
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivetboy View Post
No competent adult needs someone else to make decisions for them and decide how you should live your life to meet their approval.
My wife might slightly disagree with that statement
Eric Cartman would not
Yeah......but which one do you sleep with?

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:45 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
plfking lmao--I won't even go near there. Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:51 AM   #45
Mini-Skoolie

Mom kind of laughed it off when I got into the whole tiny house thing, and I'm sure my siblings will have opinions in the same vein (brother probably less so, he's gone homesteading-nuts lately), but you know what?

I don't really care much what they think anymore.

I'm 40, nobody depends on me financially but myself and the cats. The car is paid off. I'm getting tired of renting but I don't want a whole house. A bus seems more practical than a tiny home on a trailer since I wouldn't have to get a new vehicle into the bargain. This may well be the wildest thing I've ever done in life so far, not counting the numerous stupid things, but at least I won't be trying to DIY the entire project. I do want to go down and help out, though.

I'm gratified that Landlord (we're related) didn't laugh me out of the house when I brought it up. Folks at work have been interested. I may have to bring it by here to shot it off =p
Setsu-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:01 AM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what im finding the more i go on is that I truly believe many people are jealous of what others are doing.. and siomply put, they bash it because they cant (or wont) do it themselves.. I myself have 3 busses and dont have any plans to convert any of them to campers or tiny homes.. one is more or less a daily driver, another is a mobile software / hardware DEV lab, and the 3rd is a classic.. nevertheless some people bash me for being " wierd" and having school busses as "project cars".. yet they still come around and seem to ask questions about the busses.. (and ask others about my busses).. many people deep down inside would love to live a travelling lifestyle.. free-form, out of corporate america, etc.. but again, they cant or wont so they slam others that have taken the initiative to actually make it happen.

-Christopher
cadillackid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #47
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
what im finding the more i go on is that I truly believe many people are jealous of what others are doing.. and siomply put, they bash it because they cant (or wont) do it themselves.. I myself have 3 busses and dont have any plans to convert any of them to campers or tiny homes.. one is more or less a daily driver, another is a mobile software / hardware DEV lab, and the 3rd is a classic.. nevertheless some people bash me for being " wierd" and having school busses as "project cars".. yet they still come around and seem to ask questions about the busses.. (and ask others about my busses).. many people deep down inside would love to live a travelling lifestyle.. free-form, out of corporate america, etc.. but again, they cant or wont so they slam others that have taken the initiative to actually make it happen.

-Christopher
You hit the nail on the head.. Luckily my family and neighbors already know im nuts (got a card to prove it too). Ive found that i just dont advertise that im building one.
mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote