Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2018, 04:38 PM   #241
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Chassis: International
Engine: 9.L
Rated Cap: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
I don't say disabled?
I say dysfunctional!
Cause I am still able just not as quick as others cause things don't function as well as they used to.
I was dysfunctional long before i was disabled..lol

mikeypj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:09 PM   #242
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: 40 foot
Engine: DT466HT 230 HP / 660 FP
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
I program 5 axis DCC measuring machines at a precision aerospace manufacturer. I am retiring May 1 2020. Only 86 weeks and 1 day to go!! Then its finish the bus and hit the road. Bob
Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 09:14 PM   #243
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: 40 foot
Engine: DT466HT 230 HP / 660 FP
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
Let me redo that last sentence. Finish the bus, sell the house and hit the road!!
Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 10:46 PM   #244

Been a registered nurse now for 30 years, most of that in trauma/ER, & the last 4 in hospice. Hoping to retire in the next year or two.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 05:43 PM   #245
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 366 BBC
Project engineer here, build prototype exhaust systems as a supplier to the big 3! Trying to figure out how to get into sale engineering or consulting so bus living makes more sense lol
Old 11-08-2018, 10:37 PM   #246
Mini-Skoolie

I'm the least experienced person here, haha.

14 years (most recently) in contract security, but I've done a little of almost everything here and there.
Setsu-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #247
Bus Crazy

For over twenty years I fixed radios for businesses and public safety. Then, for the last fourteen years, I have been designing and overseeing radio system upgrades, and telling vendors how radio tower sites should be fixed for the benefit of my latest employer. Less than six months from now, I will just be fixing radios for myself and my friends.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 03:33 PM   #248
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderkaty View Post
hello again y'all,
I was sitting there today, in my overly stiffling, hopefully temporary cubicle and I started wondering what you all "do" for a living...
I shovel coal in hell.
Father.Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 12:15 PM   #249

Hello all. New here, figured this would be a good time to chime in. I do Tree service for a living, was an OTR truck driver for 5 years, I still drive in the winter but stay in state usually. I grew up on a farm and I Have a limited knowledge of general construction and metal work, I have helped with 2 bus conversions in my teen years, one was a prevost coach and the other was a Thomas skoolie. My wife and I are getting ready to go into missions both here in the states as well as in central America. I plan to take my tree equipment along with us as we travel to pay the bills. We currently have 4 children, Amy, who will be 6 on the 15th, Anthony who will be 5 in April, Ailsa will be 3 in February, and Aiden who will be 1 on the 22nd. We bought an 84 passenger bluebird TC2000 fe last month and are planning to start converting it in the next few months.
Coldiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:22 AM   #250
Mini-Skoolie

I am a quilter and sew for a living. Oh and I have a masters degree in accounting and hold a CPA license. But I honestly make more sewing.
Rwswwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #251
Skoolie

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cat C7
Teacher.

Joe
TeacherJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:36 AM   #252
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeacherJoe View Post
Teacher.

Joe

Makes sense [emoji6]
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:55 AM   #253
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
My "career" if you will is being an Avionics Technician in her Majesty's RCAF. I have specialty skillsets in Air Weapons (both Search Stores and Kill Stores), Tactical mission systems, Recovery & Salvage and Flight Safety/accident investigation. I've worked on rotary and fixed wing, in surveillance, rescue, tac-hel Av, and anti-sub...as unlikely as it may seem I am a professional nerd/geek......

Some of my "out of trade" skillsets are
Driving instructor, everything from snowmobile to 48 tons of "Get off my lawn."
Small Arms instructor/coach,
First Aid Instructor....
I'm sure there is others.....

Been at that racket for almost 17yrs.....3 to go....

During that time I've moonlighted in all kinds of different things, flooring, kitchens, car sales, performance/audio shop, detailing shop, decks & fences, and ski patrol.
But I spent 11yrs doing various contracted security, with a diverse spread of functions, everything from bar security (at a ski resort...PERKS) through concerts/festivals, to VIP/CP services. Gave that up with my most recent posting across the country to the boonies.

Handyman and Shenaniganizer
https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/97...ion-22324.html
Yukon Cornelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:03 PM   #254
Bus Nut

Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Personal Accountant and Web Developer

Done quite a few different lines of work, of which zero were in my field of study. Yay college degree, you sure were useless. Favorite was working in security systems and access control where we had jobs across the country. Got to see some really cool places doing that job, both in scenery and getting to see cool stuff in restricted areas. All the fun stuff is in the restricted areas it turns out.

Anyways, miss the old job and the old life of traveling, and none of my current jobs keep me in one place, so off I go to the open road....as soon as my build is finished.
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:26 PM   #255
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by geminusprime View Post
Personal Accountant and Web Developer

Done quite a few different lines of work, of which zero were in my field of study. Yay college degree, you sure were useless. Favorite was working in security systems and access control where we had jobs across the country. Got to see some really cool places doing that job, both in scenery and getting to see cool stuff in restricted areas. All the fun stuff is in the restricted areas it turns out.

Anyways, miss the old job and the old life of traveling, and none of my current jobs keep me in one place, so off I go to the open road....as soon as my build is finished.
Pipe fitter/steam fitter/welder,plumber,HVAC mechanic on most military bases in the carolina's for going on 24- years now?
Geminus it's always cool to look at stuff in the restricted area's until one of your men takes a picture on his phone?
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #256
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Drinking a cup of coffee as I finalize the new design that I will present tomorrow morning.
Being a web designer is becoming a tough job especially when the client wants to keep a traditional layout which actually doesn't work anymore.
1claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:53 PM   #257
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Conventional
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
High school English teacher, former plumber, sometime bus driver (I work at a boarding school where some teachers double as bus drivers for taking the students off campus), and soon to become a third party CDL examiner. (You should be frightened at how little training this last one requires.)
Old 02-18-2019, 11:06 PM   #258
Bus Nut

Chassis: Vista 3600
Engine: DT466E / AT545
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
Pipe fitter/steam fitter/welder,plumber,HVAC mechanic on most military bases in the carolina's for going on 24- years now?
Geminus it's always cool to look at stuff in the restricted area's until one of your men takes a picture on his phone?
Oh yeah, one photo when we were on base in the restricted areas and that'd be a no-no. That being said, when installing the systems in non-government facilities, you'd be surprised how little we were asked for ID's. We didn't wear uniforms, so all they knew we could have been lotting the place and the alarm guys were late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1claire View Post
Drinking a cup of coffee as I finalize the new design that I will present tomorrow morning.
Being a web designer is becoming a tough job especially when the client wants to keep a traditional layout which actually doesn't work anymore.

What kind of traditional layouts are they asking for? We talking just issues with mobile platforms, or full blown "I want a geocities site in HTML2.0"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Nichols View Post
...become a third party CDL examiner. (You should be frightened at how little training this last one requires.)
I mean, if they required any more qualification then it'd put SWIFT out of business.
geminusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 02:36 PM   #259
Mini-Skoolie

I was a school bus driver until January of this year. Now I am home full-time with my 3 girls. We homeschoool so being gone at work all day, keeping the house clean and being completely responsible for all of my kiddos schooling was getting old fast.
Luckily my husband is a software engineer and makes good money. So we are still able to save up for our skoolie home.
Old 03-22-2019, 04:32 PM   #260
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
retired painting contractor with experience in fire and water damage restoration and home renovation, ex-landlord, now full time kennel owner/manager and dog trainer - work with a lot of dogs with behavior problems such as aggression, separation anxiety, fear issues, etc, the kind of dogs that are often called 'Last Chance', or '3rd Strike' dogs - still have my kennel of racing alaskan huskies that I enjoy immensely - my plan for a schoolie is to have a warm camper when I'm in the north country at a race with a 'toy hauler garage' in back to carry the sleddogs
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote