Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2021, 10:44 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Where have you met your soulmate?

I am now separated from wife who never liked camping hence long time...are there any single campers on here? I see a lot of couples and not that I mind, but just wondered. If I was ever to go on a meet, would I be the only single camper? Would be nice to meet other singles, that's all. Plus, sometimes couples can be a bit too umm coupley- not saying anyone on here but just in my experience.

I miss camping, haven't been in ages.

davidbarker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Single and loving/hating it.

Chiqs that live in a bus? Where?
Chiqs that backpack, hike, camp (not glamp in a bus or a tent next to the car)? Where?
Chiqs that go caving? Where (what galaxy)?

Chiqs that love music (especially live) and hate TV? Where?
Chiqs that eat healthy (and take care of their health), specifically vegetarians and vegans? Where?

Chiqs that don't wear pasty-face makeup or die their hair with nasty chemicals? Where?
Chiqs that are not old women in mindset (my 16 year old girlfriend in high-school was), but who aren't little girls either (my 16 year old girlfriend in high-school was). Mature but forever playful. Where?

Chiqs that party who aren't wasteoids (no tobacco, alcohol, pharmies, opiates, amphetamines, other stimulants/depressants, etc.)? Where?
Chiqs that are single, not crazy, not bitchy, not bossy and controlling nor passive and submissive, and over 35? Where?
Old 06-02-2021, 11:47 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Maybe you should co-ordinate a singles' skoolie meetup. West of the Mississippi and I might even come.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:15 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: G27E102
Engine: Cummins ISL 280
Rated Cap: 30,000 lbs
Errr... how about the internet?

Create a profile on OKCupid, put up a reasonably coherent profile and answer a few hundred questions; do the same/equivalent for Bumble, Match, and so on.

It's never been easier to find a matching partner efficiently. You could easily screen 1000 candidates on a weekend.

And about the skoolie thing... It's considered very interesting to many, and I'm sure it actually is much more an asset than a liability.

My partner and I went backpacking for a week shortly after we met. We've never had a TV. She's a hyper-fit ivy educated athlete. They are out there. Of course you need a bit of persistence, a lot of patience, and an unknown amount of luck.

I wouldn't call my prospects "chiqs" though. YMMV.
Bert06840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 01:27 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert06840 View Post
Errr... how about the internet?

Create a profile on OKCupid, put up a reasonably coherent profile and answer a few hundred questions; do the same/equivalent for Bumble, Match, and so on.

It's never been easier to find a matching partner efficiently. You could easily screen 1000 candidates on a weekend.

And about the skoolie thing... It's considered very interesting to many, and I'm sure it actually is much more an asset than a liability.

My partner and I went backpacking for a week shortly after we met. We've never had a TV. She's a hyper-fit ivy educated athlete. They are out there. Of course you need a bit of persistence, a lot of patience, and an unknown amount of luck.

I wouldn't call my prospects "chiqs" though. YMMV.
My second girlfriend calls herself a chiq. It's short for chiquita. My understanding is it is a Spanish word meaning a single woman who is available (typically a younger girl, I admit, but I'm looking for the "forever young" mindset). Nothing more or less. I've had guys call me out (it sounds like you are calling them stupid chickens), but never a girl.

I've thought about online dating services, but that instantly screens out the chiqs with less $$$ and internet savy - I'd typically rather have a piss-poor girlfriend than a high-dollah one, but that becomes prejudice, I admit, and I don't like predudice. And I don't like the corporate intrusion into my life, as they sell my personal info to the gov'ment. But I'm am getting desperate enough to try that.
Old 06-02-2021, 01:28 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Over 35? Closer to 50? Where?
Under 35? Ever day. Every where.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
Over 35? Closer to 50? Where?
Under 35? Ever day. Every where.
I would never admit to being closer to 50 than to 35. But if I were, just hypothetically, I still would say that this applies.

But you are probably right in saying that the driving force between the groups may be different.

Sub-35. Maybe more Sub-25: No worries in the world. Let's explore. We will live forever.
Post-50: Let's settle down. Do we have enough money to retire? If we do, let's explore the country.

But yeah, there are tons of exceptions to that too. There's something for everyone.
Old 06-02-2021, 04:36 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
My second girlfriend calls herself a chiq. It's short for chiquita. My understanding is it is a Spanish word meaning a single woman who is available
Well... maybe you're right, but I wouldn't take my chances. And yes, there are plenty of women that affectionally call each other b$tch, but I still don't think it's a good starting point...

Quote:
I've thought about online dating services, but that instantly screens out the chiqs with less $$$ and internet savy
Being able to use the web doesn't make you internet savvy. Brushing your teeth doesn't make you a germaphobe. People are much more likely to have internet access than to have access to running water or a toilet. Seriously, look it up.

It's not that you need to be able to code JavaScript to make a dating profile.

There are no more "fundamentally good women" that are "off the internet". That ship sailed long ago.

Quote:
And I don't like the corporate intrusion into my life, as they sell my personal info to the gov'ment.
Oh they don't sell it to the government, they don't pay enough. They sell it to advertisers, credit rating agencies, insurance providers, ransomware hackers on the dark web, etc. Much more lucrative! Also, the government already has all the data it needs. You have a credit score. You have a phone number. You exist.

And... you're on the internet. Google knows someone's pregnant before they know it themselves.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:18 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I would never admit to being closer to 50 than to 35. But if I were, just hypothetically, I still would say that this applies.

But you are probably right in saying that the driving force between the groups may be different.

Sub-35. Maybe more Sub-25: No worries in the world. Let's explore. We will live forever.
Post-50: Let's settle down. Do we have enough money to retire? If we do, let's explore the country.

But yeah, there are tons of exceptions to that too. There's something for everyone.
I'm not "embarrassed" to be older, if that's what you mean. You must be a kid, yourself. "Embarrassed" to be part of my generation, maybe a little! But I would never "lie" about my age to a woman, and claim to be younger!

What I see is not that people who are 50-ish in any generation do not suit me, it is my generation specifically. I meet women, who are currently 60+ years old, all the time that seem to have the mindset and interests that I do. Just not quite as active. And I'm not into older women.

Anyway, your suggestions on internet dating are not taken lightly, and thanks for the encouragement. Maybe someday soon I will start throwing my money away for that.

p.s. the government is forbidden to create a "file" on citizens unless they commit a crime. But nothing prevents them from buying that info from companies who collect it. And no compnay is going to turn down any $$$ for digital info that costs them nothing extra to sell. No inventory to house. If they have it available for retailers, the gov'ment can get it, also, even if only though a warrant.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:55 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Well, I'm not super attractive and I have physical attributes that only a very very small portion of men would be okay with, so online dating has been the only way I've been able to date thus far. I did it for a little over 4 years before meeting my boyfriend through a dating site (okcupid vs pof), and it's the only relationship that has come from it.
alexdunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 08:50 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Single

When I found myself single and 40, it was a bit of a shock. The dating sites certainly give you more exposure than just meeting people randomly.

The best advice I got was to do things you enjoy and be yourself. I was not a bar person, so meeting someone in a bar would mean I am meeting someone with different interests from me. Take courses that interest you. Maybe join a makerspace if that interests you. Volunteer. Go to events with camping like music festivals if you would enjoy it. Don't worry about finding a date. Meeting people socially will let that happen if it does. Be genuine, hone your listening skills, be open to new situations.
nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 12:46 AM   #12
Bus Nut

The challenge that I had is that I actually donít enjoy socializing at all. Meeting people for the sake of meeting people. Shopping. ďHaving coffeeĒ. Hanging out. Chatting. Feeling the vibe. I obviously donít hate being around people, but itís emotionally expensive - it is a net drain on my energy. Most ďnormal humansĒ enjoy social interaction, and get charged up by it. I enjoy being alone, reading a book, learning something, building something, taking stuff apart, doing an experiment. Iím not a bar person. Not a meetup person. Not a club person. Not a dining out person. Not a movies person. I can do all that, and Iím perfectly good company, but Iím not in my element.

And that would have been problematic, because starting to do those things to increase the chances of running into a mate, would mean that Iíd have to be behaving outside of my natural self.

So, online was immeasurably more efficient for me. I was able to be totally upfront about all this. No games, no BS, this is who I am, this is what I have to offer, this is what Iím looking for.

It took me no time at all. There are hundreds of thousands of people looking for mates at any time. Even with my admittedly completely outrageous expectations and introverted personality, dozens of people made the cut. Of those, several were looking for what I had to offer. I needed only one.

It worked out great for me. Sheís fantastic, and I had to make essentially no compromises.

For people like me, the internet is a godsend. Good people ARE out there. Many, many of them. You just need to be able to connect.
Old 06-19-2021, 07:04 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
We're both introverts, we met online 25 years ago.
Old 06-19-2021, 08:29 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

On-line

With all that advice I just tossed, for the record, I met my woman about 23 years ago on an on-line dating site. Now, we each own a mini-bus, do flea markets and music festivals with them (see how I brought this back to buses?) and have our own lives in addition to one together. Some people don't get it but it works for us. If you use a dating site, be yourself on it - not a facade.
nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:01 AM   #15
Bus Nut

Wow. Then you must both understand the joy of seeing

CONNECT 16800/ARQ/HST/LAPM/V42BIS

In 1997, I made a big drive through Europe and I got myself one of these:

IMG_0470.jpg

And while it was fantastically costly - imagine doing overseas cellular calls at roaming rates to download electronic mail at maximum of 9600 bps - it was a sign of things to come.