Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
Who’s been VAXed?

I’m thrilled to have my first shot of the Pfizer vax. On April 8th I’m hitting the road! I have some odds and ends left to do on my bus. No way it will take 6 weeks to do them.

Wait!....That’s what I said last May. [emoji849][emoji85]

Anyway, my state has exemptions for everything. No age limit for teachers, clergy, first responders. Fifty five and up if you have COPD, BMI over 30, heart condition, kidney problems, or if you smoke. Yes you read that right. Me? BMI=31

Who else?

Old 03-01-2021, 04:45 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Getting our second one tomorrow.
Old 03-01-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Waiting for the new J&J one-shot deal to come available.

Trouble is, nobody knows how long these offerings are good for.
Get new one(s) every year, two, ten???

Be nice if more info was available. The medical community is pushing them hard and if they can somehow reduce the sheer #'s getting the virus by 50% or more, they might be worthwhile?

And then there's this: https://www.yahoo.com/news/canada-va...211218257.html
Old 03-01-2021, 06:15 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Finished up Feb 1!
Old 03-01-2021, 07:41 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E 7.3L
Not getting it. After the vaccine you can still get it, still spread it and still need to wear a mask? Why bother?
Old 03-01-2021, 09:15 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet View Post
Not getting it. After the vaccine you can still get it, still spread it and still need to wear a mask? Why bother?
Yes I saw that yesterday on one of the Sunday programs Dr, Fouchi said just that. Left me confused. Does anybody know what is going on? Here in NM you can't even pick the vax you want. Just stand in line and take what they want to give you. I'm sorry but I'm pro choice when it comes to my body.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:02 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikon View Post
Yes I saw that yesterday on one of the Sunday programs Dr, Fouchi said just that. Left me confused. Does anybody know what is going on? Here in NM you can't even pick the vax you want. Just stand in line and take what they want to give you. I'm sorry but I'm pro choice when it comes to my body.
The jury’s still out on how effective it is on preventing transmission. One thing they do know is if you get it it’s unlikely to kill you.

And the whole masked after getting it thing has been dismissed. If you get vaxxed you can live a normal life with others that have been.

It’s going to slow the spread and at the same time slow mutation.

And over time the population of the world will build immunity and it will either go away or as was the case with the “Spanish” Flu (did you know it likely started in Kansas?) , it will become something less severe.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:07 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: 3000 / 33' Flat Nose
Engine: IC T444E / Allison MT643
Rated Cap: 72 Kids / 48 Adults
As a recently sabbaticaled medical provider, my understanding comes from that perspective.

Vaccines are not cures, they are there to help your body resist getting very sick or dying.

Getting vaccinated has never been about "stopping" the virus, it's always been about helping 1) slow down the spread 2) reduce the level of illness should you get infected 3) reduce the number of people who die 4) keep the medical community and hospitals from being overwhelmed.

With no federal plan for distributing the vaccine when it did become available, each state and the federal governments are scrambling to implement distributing as much as they can, as fast as they can and (some may argue) as fairly as they can.

It's a supply and demand issue. Not much different from the run on toilet paper.

There was always enough toilet paper, but it was all commercial size and quality. Since everyone was staying home, there was a shortage of "residential" supply while all the commercial building supply sat unused. It took the toilet paper industry time to increase their residential product while cutting back on their commercial product.

As a school bus driver, very likely have a BMI above 30, and could argue high risk, I'm hoping to get my first shot on Friday. No appointment. I'm just going to show up and see what happens.

Stay well!
Old 03-11-2021, 02:54 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2006
We're quite a bit behind in Canada (Ontario especially). I'm moderately high risk, so I should be getting mine near the end of April and I can't wait! It will be nice to be able to get out and do normal stuff again. I barely leave my house right now and as a person who used to travel nearly constantly, it's been trying. I can't even go grocery shopping right now because the UK variant is all over my city - In January 70% of the residents of the nursing home down the street died. We watched the constant flow of ambulances from our balcony.

I plan to spend the spring/summer/fall camping and working on the bus. By then the border should be open and I can spend the winter somewhere warm again! I may be Canadian, but I'm not built for the snow.
Old 03-11-2021, 04:58 AM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Chassis: 0908S
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 28' 9 window
here in Ohio they act like we behind every other state with vaccination. But reading these comments makes it seem like we ahead. My wife gets her second Pfizer shot tomorrow. I got the J&J shot last saturday. We don't get to choose what vaccine. you just get what the clinic is giving out

Today they allow 50 and older to get the shot
Old 03-11-2021, 05:56 AM   #11
Bus Geek

On Tuesday morning I received a text from a friend: If you go to this church right now you can get a shot. Not having anything else going on, I jumped in the car. It took a long time to find parking, then the line went almost all the way around the block. I got in line. I asked others if they had an appointment. No? I thought for sure that the firemen coming down the line had some criteria that would disqualify me. No? They hand me a number. I’m in!

I search and search the Internet looking for info on this vaccination site. Nothing. FEMA is there, must be legit, but why is it operating outside of the formal tiered reservation system I still don’t know. I can only speculate that it’s surplus doses.

I got the shot. Months before I thought I would.
Old 03-11-2021, 06:10 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
we've both got our Moderna shots. I go in for my 2nd in 3 weeks.

Nice to have that protection. Just watched someone die very slowly of covid and it wasn't fun.

Old 03-11-2021, 06:53 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
Same here, I don't take the flu shots either. Only had the flu once 20 years ago. I am pretty sure I had COVID in early Feb of 2020. I am in MT and it started in WA I remember. I have been exposed to COVID since and not any symptoms or problems. Working just like any other bug or virus .

Quote:
Old 03-11-2021, 07:46 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I joined a trial back in october.. of course I dont know if I have the real or the placebo.. they havent yet unblinded even though they claim they are going to unblind us all.. I had mild side effects so im thinking I have the real one but ??

ive been exposed to covid several times and no sickness..
Old 03-11-2021, 08:35 AM   #15
Bus Geek

Quote:
Why bother?

Asymptomatic spread goes down after vaccination. The mask is to keep everyone as safe as possible till the population is vaccinated enough to actually reach herd immunity.

Killing people smugly and silently is sooooo 2020.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:57 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
we've both got our Moderna shots. I go in for my 2nd in 3 weeks.

Nice to have that protection. Just watched someone die very slowly of covid and it wasn't fun.

wait?? could that be?? CB is wearing jeans and not shorts??
Old 03-11-2021, 11:11 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
wait?? could that be?? CB is wearing jeans and not shorts??
They run the ac in there, and I get chilly below 78
Old 03-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #18
Almost There

Year: 1972
Coachwork: Superior Coach
Chassis: International Harvester 1603
Engine: International Harvester SV304
Interior Alaska village - 70% vaccinated

We were lucky in interior AK. They prioritized the vax here due to the lack of emergency health care access.

Hour flight to town - no ventilator at the local clinic.. in theory, 1 case could overwhelm the health care system here.

We now have acheived over 70% vaccinated in my little village. Anybody over 16 that wants it, now has it.

Even before the vax, our remote location also allowed us to act like an island nation and monitor travel and test all people coming in. 2 cases were decected and put in quarantine. No local transmission was the result.

Feels good to be vaxed. I like several things about it.

1. Less likely to die if I catch it.
2. Less likely to kill grandma/grandpa just trying to check on them
3. Chilling with other vax people has very little "social guilt".

Social guilt meaning... Having a few beers with friends, but being paranoid the whole time about spreading it... and thinking the whole time.. "should we be doing this?"...

Basically I am back to my regular pre-covid paranoid state. Still wearing a mask, because 30% of people aren't vaxed... mostly kids.. AND.. it is really not that big of a deal... Nobody wants to see my ugly face anyway!
Old 03-11-2021, 11:35 AM   #19
Bus Geek

I worry that antivaxxers are going to be the vectors for further variants and we’ll never get rid of it
Old 03-11-2021, 11:42 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I worry that antivaxxers are going to be the vectors for further variants and we’ll never get rid of it
Medical experts agree. https://www.newsday.com/news/health/...ism-1.50135311
Closed Thread