Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2023, 12:47 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: E350 Super Duty
Engine: V10 (gas)
02 E350 dual battery

Hey. I am converting a '02 E350 SD Goshen Shuttle Bus w/ V10 (gas) and have looked around the forums and found some good information in regards to the 2 batteries that come in the bus, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

It has a dual battery set up (one under the hood and one under the frame) that I believe are in parallel. I disconnected the under battery and the bus still cranks and runs, but some of the accessories don't work (i.e inside lights). The battery under is a a bit older, but I haven't found it to draw any power from the starter battery. It has wires for a wheelchair lift, but never had one installed.

Here is my question:
Can I replace the battery under with a deep cycle lead acid and a smart battery isolator to the starter battery to act as a leisure battery and run cables through the floor to power inside needs (LED lights, fridge, 500w inverter, etc)....obviously with another isolator, in-line fuse, and fuse box?

Mobando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 04:11 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Back in the 80's I used to install second batteries with just a solenoid between them. This was in custom vans with big stereos and refers in the back. Worked just fine.
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2023, 04:15 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Ok and you don't think there would be any interference with a deep cycle and starter battery?
Old 05-18-2023, 09:28 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobando View Post
Can I replace the battery under with a deep cycle lead acid and a smart battery isolator to the starter battery to act as a leisure battery and run cables through the floor to power inside needs (LED lights, fridge, 500w inverter, etc)....obviously with another isolator, in-line fuse, and fuse box?
I've heard at least one person has removed the second battery without impact to the bus's operation-that is to say, starting and running.

Shuttles have a much higher power demand, and I think the second battery buffers the demand. It's probably more a lifecycle thing in that the one battery may degrade faster.

The second battery's chemistry needs to be the same as the primary unless you use a DCDC charge controller between the two, which I would recommend; I'm not sure you'll find a secondary deep cycle lead accid battery that will power all those things you want to adequately, my opinion.

With a DCDC controller you could use a Lithium Ion battery, which has a lot more capacity than lead-acid. Have you considered that?
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2023, 01:02 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 1753
Engine: 6.9 International
Rated Cap: 65
Does this shuttle bus have a wheel chair lift? That's what the 2nd battery would be primarily for in my experience. If the lift is removed, there's no reason why you couldn't do what you're after. The location is "fine", so you could have a house battery there if you so desire.

Like rucker said, I wouldn't intermingle battery chemistries without a charge controller of some sort. A simple relay would work okay if the chemistries are the same.

What you'll likely find is that a fridge and 500w inverter is too much of a load for a single battery. I don't think you'll want to install several lead acid batteries there due to weight issues, and I'm not sure I'd want to install an expensive li-ion bank underneath the bus exposed to the elements.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:18 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

There was never a lift installed, but it was pre-wired for one. It would be a 120aH everstart DC battery and a smart battery isolator to charge while the bus is running. This is only a weekender vehicle and it is a 12v fridge that runs on <5amps and 180 watts and LED lights that are <0.5 amps. I only use that battery when the vehicle is off.
Old 05-18-2023, 01:55 PM   #7
Bus Geek

120 AH lead battery has around half that capacity if you're taking it to 50% soc for best battery life. So with 60 AH available, you'll run 5 amps for approximately 12 hours. Without a large amount of solar during the day, or running the bus for 6 hours after every 12, you're not gonna last the weekend.

You either need less load or more batteries for it to last 48 hours without a recharge.
Old 05-18-2023, 02:03 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you for that information. I'll check to make sure to confirm amperage of the items. But going back to my original question(s): if I do put a deep cycle battery under the bus, do I need a DC-DC charger or will a smart isolator work?
Old 05-18-2023, 02:30 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Safest and recommended would be a dc-dc charger. They'll limit your total allowed current, so that you don't overwork the alternator. Your better chargers will also have multi-stage charging, that will charge the house battery(s) back up in a proper manner, in the case you run them too dead or if they're sulfated.

An isolator might work, depending on which one it is and the type of house battery(dual purpose vs true deep cycle). Do you have a specific of either one in mind?
Old 05-18-2023, 02:41 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

https://www.walmart.com/ip/EverStart...5-MCA/20531543

I have one that is 4 years old and it has no issues so I was going to get another. I was looking at the Vevor smart isolator kit
Old 05-18-2023, 05:48 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:

I have one that is 4 years old and it has no issues so I was going to get another. I was looking at the Vevor smart isolator kit
I have a similar isolator between my main and secondary battery. Make sure you get one that allows you to manually connect the two batteries for jump-starting if needed.

My house battery is a LiFePo, completely independent of the two chassis batteries. I have a DCDC charger (not yet hooked up) that will charge the house battery; and I've bought the trickle charger but have not hooked it up to trickle charge the chassis batteries from my solar system. These are all bonus items that make using the bus easier.
Old 05-18-2023, 05:54 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Good to know. I was planning on getting a remote battery kill relay to make sure that there aren't any parasitic drains from the main batteries. From the input I have received I should do the following (please correct me if I'm wrong):

Put a remote battery isolator between starter battery and secondary battery under the bus (which should remain a starting battery)
Use a separate house battery with a DC-DC charger to the main battery to charge while I drive.
Old 05-19-2023, 07:37 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Wow, I feel dumb, I completely forgot walmart's house batteries. I was thinking it was some new manufacturer to the industry. Anyways, those look to be dual purpose. So you can likely get away with using a solenoid or smart isolator with those and it'd work.

A quick search shows your alternator is only a 110 amp unit. While that's no slouch, I don't think I'd want to dump 2 dead batteries on it and expect it to live a long life. I think I'd still go with a dc-dc charger of some sort, just to limit the additional tax you're putting on the alternator.
Old 05-19-2023, 08:40 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Its all good. The main starter battery is pretty new and I'll have to look if there is already an isolator installed and maybe upgrade that.

What are your thoughts on something like this: Victron Energy ArgoDiode Battery Isolators 80-2SC (2 Batteries 80 amp) https://a.co/d/6VHymLv

They also have 3 bank ones as well that I should be able to connect to the battery under the bus as well as another house battery.
Old 05-19-2023, 10:40 AM   #15
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Its all good. The main starter battery is pretty new and I'll have to look if there is already an isolator installed and maybe upgrade that.

What are your thoughts on something like this: Victron Energy ArgoDiode Battery Isolators 80-2SC (2 Batteries 80 amp) https://a.co/d/6VHymLv

They also have 3 bank ones as well that I should be able to connect to the battery under the bus as well as another house battery.
I think that device just isolates the two chassis batteries from each other, and it does not appear to regulate the voltage.

I think what you're looking for is an isolator that charges the secondary battery but allows jump-starting, like the device you mention above (vevor I think).

My opinion: keep both chassis batteries, and connect the secondary with an isolator. That way you have 'built-in' jumpstart ability. Older buses are notorious for difficult-to-locate parasitic draw.

And separate from all that, build your house battery and system. Most of us recommend LiFePo batteries for their capacity and longevity.

Then on top of all that, you can charge your house battery system with a DCDC charger (which regulates the voltage, allowing you to charge LiFePo safely).

And for bonus points, when you eventually do solar, you can add a 12v trickle charger to keep the chassis batteries topped off.
Old 05-27-2023, 02:23 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Quote:

A COUPLE of points.

I'm a retired ASE mechanic AND I worked in a transit department servicing (and later as a driver) E350 based buses.
Every upbuilder does things a little differently but I suspect that the underneath battery was for loads on the bus body and independent of the main starting battery except for a connection to charge it. I would remove any wiring (cables) between the two and use a DC-DC charger to charge the second battery. No relays, isolators, etc. Just the DC-DC charger. This is the best way to ensure your starter battery is protected from the house system and the house battery is properly maintained (as long as you're running often enough).
That said, I myself have used a regular (and well used before I got it) car battery to run the loads in the 8 1/2 slide in camper I had while in the military. Then again, my only loads back then were a few lights and an occasional 12 V fan. It was connected directly to the battery with a relay and a switch inside the cab. When the engine wasn't running the relay disconnected the camper battery circuit. When it was running I could break the circuit by flipping a toggle switch. I'd start in the morning with the relay disabled until I'd driven for half an hour or so and then energize the relay to send some juice to the battery. It worked for my needs but those were traveling cross country and in a hurry unless I was in a camp ground with full hookups.
And again, with that said......

I would NEVER put a WalMart battery into anything other than yard equipment, a kids toy, or something like that camper I had.

When comparing deep cycle batteries WalMart sold a 101 Ah 12V unit for 99.99. The competitor was at least $25 more at the time. However, the WalMart 101 Ah unit was only rated at 1 A draw to get to 101 Ah while the competitor used the industry standard of a 20 A draw. That is a MAJOR difference in useful power....and how WalMart beats the competitions prices on a lot of things. If you were to put a 20 A draw and that WalMart battery it would never get close to 101 Ah. And being lead acid, anything more than 50 Ah would damage the battery.

Not hating on WalMart, just pointing out that you have to be really careful and read ALL the specs. Their SuperTech oil for instance is made by a name brand manufacturer and perfectly acceptable (as long as you buy the right spec oil).
AND if ALL the spec's aren't available.... RUN to the competitor.

Finally, you're planning to put a significant load on your battery. Watts are the unit of measure of actual work and what everything should be converted to as it doesn't change with voltage.

To get 500W (ignoring the inefficiency of inverters) from 12V you will need to draw 41A from your battery so if you get anywhere near pulling that 500W you'll exhaust your battery in an hour and half.

When you said "...weekender vehicle and it is a 12v fridge that runs on <5amps and 180 watts..." something doesn't add up. 12V and 5A is only 60W, no where near 180W. 180W at 12V is 15A. An industry standard deep cycle of 120Ah rating is useable for 50% of that 120 (or 60A) before damaging the battery. NO, it won't kill it but the next charge discharge cycle will not give as good a performance and it's cumulative damage. So, 12V, 15A to run the fridge will give you 4 hours before you're battery is at 50%.
I suspect however that the 180W for your fridge is the high draw figure and only applicable when it's trying to cool things down. Once they're cooled it will "cycle" between a much lower, perhaps even close to zero, draw and the 180W needed when it begins the next cooling cycle.
While the same is not true for the 500W inverter, if you're only using it to charge something like a laptop, it will not pull the full 500W.

Remember OHM's LAW E=I/R and P=I/E

Also remember that inverters and converters have an efficiency factor in that 100W in is less than 100W out, perhaps lower than 90W. So you'd need to use over 550W to get 500W of AC power from that inverter.

I'm working on a calculator for skoolie folks to calculate their electrical needs and perhaps I'll include an Ohm's Law calculator that stands alone though there are plenty of APP's for smart phones to do the same.... it's simple math.

over a weekend with the fridge and a 500W inverter (which is unlikely to be pure sine wave and should therefore not be used for any sensitive electronics like phones, tablets, laptops, etc.)
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dual battery