Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2014, 05:56 AM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-t-liner
Engine: Cat 3126 - MD 3060
Rated Cap: 72
1 inverter and 3 outlets

No results searching the inter webs. Seeking electrical advice.

So, in my bus I have an inverter, my AC power needs are only through 3 outlets. 1 bathroom outlet, 1 kitchen outlet, and 1 next to the dinette. Nothing will be plugged into these outlets full time. They are only for powering devices every so often, maybe a glue gun or drill charger.

I feel it kind of over kill to buy an ac panel and breakers for only 3 outlets when my inverter has 2 ac plugs on it.

Could I wire say the bathroom and dinette outlets together and put a male nema plug on it and plug it into the inverter and put the kitchen outlet on the other plug at the inverter? I am sure there won't be a time that all 3 would be used or even the dinette and bathroom would be at the same time.

Sorry if I wrote this slightly confusing.

ThePimentals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Re: 1 inverter and 3 outlets

What kind of things are you plugging in, out of innate curiosity? How many electronics are going into the bus? Fridge and Freezer uses up the one in the kitchen. Coffee maker? Fan? Blender? Slowcooker? TV? DVD player? Computer? Heated blanket? Microwave? Printer? Alarm clock? Rodent/Insect repellant? What powers your on-switch for the furnace (I actually don't know what makes my furnace kick on as it hates me and I like my Buddy Little Heater anyhow)? Radio? Water heater? Vacuum cleaner/ShopVac? Charger for phone/tablet/thinger. Electric kettle? Battery charger for the stuff that doesn't plug in?

I just found out, by the by, that I can't run my water heater and my electric kettle at the same time, as I blew a breaker. Mental note: the danged water heater gets its own breaker.

Dog is my copilot. As I have no dog, I have no flight plan.

"If all porkchops were perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs!" -Steven Universe
Das Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Amtran RE
Engine: DT466E/MD3060
Rated Cap: 78

Yeah its probably over kill but breakers are there to protect the wiring not really the device per se. So I would suggest the breaker box if it were me. Cant have too many safeties when it comes to ac or dc power. It will also keep you open ended if you go from a 30 amp service to 50 if you venture that way. Just food for thought.
bapos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:18 AM   #4
Bus Geek

most invertors only have internal protection on the 12v side (standard auto blade fuses), no protection from what plugs into it, probably due to built ins w/I the appliance

I would just put a small box with a 20 amp breaker in it (under $20) then run input from invertor to box, from breaker to all 3 outlets, pickup some 12 ga wire or extension cords (15/20 amp cords) and use them

this allows you some wiggle room for the future
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Skoolie

Only things running off of the outlets are small devices. No appliances.

I also don't have shore power hookups.

So like basil said I may get a small ac panel and run all three outlets to one 20amp breaker. Just as a precaution I guess if it's less than 20$.
Old 09-22-2014, 02:45 PM   #6
r_w
Skoolie

You would be fine for now if you size all the cable for more amps than the inverter can put out if the inverter has short/overload protection--but what if you switch inverters down the road? A small breaker panel makes it easier to change or upgrade later and (hopefully) protects the bus from burning down if a cable insulation rubs through.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
Bus Geek

similar to the one I got to do my water heater install

13.87 ea
http://www.lowes.com/pd_95511-82364-...nfo=$10%20-$15

6.74 each
http://www.lowes.com/pd_71801-296-QO...o=$5%20-%20$10

couple of these

.43 each
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...llow&cId=PDIO1

this is just quick hits at Lowes (not associated at with Lowes)
Old 09-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #8
Skoolie

Thanks. I was looking at Home Depot stuff and it was like 5$ more.
Old 09-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
Skoolie

Also. When in doubt. Imagine burning the bus to cinders. It's funny how you can forget that possibility.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

You don't have to spend that much. Buy a one-piece outlet and plate with a built-in GFCI breaker in the outlet. Choose a 15-amp or 20 amp GFCI depending on the surge capacity of the inverter. The outlet will have hot side and a protected side wiring screws. Mount a wiring box for it at the location by the inverter.

15-amp, $12.40 at Home Depot

Wire a cord with a male plug on the hot side of the outlet to get power from the inverter output. Run your other two outlets to the GFCI outlet box using #14 (15-amp) or #12 (20-amp) wires. Connect the black and the white wires to the protected side of the GFCI. Don't be tempted to only connect the black, and wire nut the hot and protected white wires together. The green safety grounds can all be tied together.

Voila! you now have a circuit breaker that protects all three of your outlets, and GFCI, no less.

THANK YOU Redbear!!!

great idea and saves some room due to bulky box!
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
You don't have to spend that much. Buy a one-piece outlet and plate with a built-in GFCI breaker in the outlet. Choose a 15-amp or 20 amp GFCI depending on the surge capacity of the inverter. The outlet will have hot side and a protected side wiring screws. Mount a wiring box for it at the location by the inverter.

15-amp, $12.40 at Home Depot

Wire a cord with a male plug on the hot side of the outlet to get power from the inverter output. Run your other two outlets to the GFCI outlet box using #14 (15-amp) or #12 (20-amp) wires. Connect the black and the white wires to the protected side of the GFCI. Don't be tempted to only connect the black, and wire nut the hot and protected white wires together. The green safety grounds can all be tied together.

Voila! you now have a circuit breaker that protects all three of your outlets, and GFCI, no less.

THANK YOU Redbear!!!

great idea and saves some room due to bulky box!
Pure genius. I like this idea a lot. Saves room in my electric closet too.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:30 PM   #12
Skoolie

Well, I have been told that gfci outlets don't protect against overload or short circuit. I'll have to do some more investigating. But so far I'm worried about fire. Will report my findings.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

If you use a 15 amp breaker the inverter would need to be able to supply 1800 watts into a short circuit to trip the breaker. Also most inverters are internally protected, ( will shut down if excessive load is placed on the unit).
Pops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:18 PM   #14
Bus Crazy

How did your "thank you" get into my post? It looks like I was thanking myself.
Maybe because I opened an edit to add the picture link, and the two entries collided in posting????
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:53 AM   #15
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbear
How did your "thank you" get into my post? It looks like I was thanking myself.
Maybe because I opened an edit to add the picture link, and the two entries collided in posting????
Hahaha. I don't know.

So my inverter is only 1250 watts. So no matter what I do I can't protect against short circuit?
Old 09-24-2014, 12:55 PM   #16
r_w
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePimentals
So my inverter is only 1250 watts. So no matter what I do I can't protect against short circuit?

Use an arc-fault breaker.
r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #17
Bus Geek

Quote:

Your inverter should have 12v fuses inside for 12v side...my $20 setup would? if it shorts on the 120v side the breaker would trip if it shorts to ground (which would heat the wire up to fire level if it didn't have a breaker)
Old 09-25-2014, 07:26 AM   #18
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Quote:

Your inverter should have 12v fuses inside for 12v side...my $20 setup would? if it shorts on the 120v side the breaker would trip if it shorts to ground (which would heat the wire up to fire level if it didn't have a breaker)
I'm hearing you. I'm probably going to get a breaker box. It's not that much of a price difference.