Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2022, 06:23 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

12v or 120v appliance help

i was just looking at the back of some of my appliances and chargers and they all pretty much say 110-120v. so is anything that plugs into an outlet a 120v appliance and going to require running off the inverter?

also wanted to know if not, can i run outlets to the 12v fuse box or is it strictly 12v appliance like a 12v fan, wired directly to the fuse box? and assuming so, id have to run separate outlets. outlets running to towards the inverter for 120v and outlets running to the 12v fuse box?

i know phones can be charged with those car cigarette lighter adapters and those are 12v. so i assume i could if i wanted to run those style outlets to the fuse box, just use them for charging phones, or using small appliances that can be powered with usb cords

rumplef0resk1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 09:05 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumplef0resk1n View Post
i was just looking at the back of some of my appliances and chargers and they all pretty much say 110-120v. so is anything that plugs into an outlet a 120v appliance and going to require running off the inverter?

also wanted to know if not, can i run outlets to the 12v fuse box or is it strictly 12v appliance like a 12v fan, wired directly to the fuse box? and assuming so, id have to run separate outlets. outlets running to towards the inverter for 120v and outlets running to the 12v fuse box?

i know phones can be charged with those car cigarette lighter adapters and those are 12v. so i assume i could if i wanted to run those style outlets to the fuse box, just use them for charging phones, or using small appliances that can be powered with usb cords
I responded to your PM. Anything that plugs in using common household plugs available in the US is 120v AC. You can run 12v "outlets" (using cigarette lighter sockets, anderson, or SAE connectors) like so:
https://www.amazon.com/Linkstyle-Cig.../dp/B07QHYBRBD

https://www.amazon.com/Housing-Ander.../dp/B077VWXXYG

https://www.amazon.com/CERRXIAN-Weat.../dp/B07TB7XH2H

Which make for convenient access to 12V sources.
kazetsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:47 PM   #3
Almost There

Year: 2008
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC CE300
Engine: Maxxforce DT
If your only appliance running all the time is the fridge, then choose a 12v one, and have usb outlets everywhere. That way, you do not need to run your inverter all the time. We only run our inverter for the 120v air conditioning at night. In my initial conversion, I only had 120v outlets and I had to run the inverter all the time just for the phone chargers, and an inverter gets hot…I quickly added usb outlets connected to the 12v breaker box.
Seb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 12:39 AM   #4

Coachwork: Myself
Chassis: Blue Bird TC/2000 RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 84 Passengers
Some items that come from the store ready to go on 120v actually run on lesser voltage. The tag on the back or on a power brick should state the actual voltage the unit uses. If it uses 12v or less, look for a different power cord or adapter so you can run off the 12v system. In my build, only the TV and fridge are currently on 120v. I have charging cables for laptops and tablets that charge offs the 12v cigarette lighter style outlets. Looking to ween the Xbox off of 120v too.
Dazzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 02:37 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzler View Post
Some items that come from the store ready to go on 120v actually run on lesser voltage. The tag on the back or on a power brick should state the actual voltage the unit uses. If it uses 12v or less, look for a different power cord or adapter so you can run off the 12v system. In my build, only the TV and fridge are currently on 120v. I have charging cables for laptops and tablets that charge offs the 12v cigarette lighter style outlets. Looking to ween the Xbox off of 120v too.
Agreed in principle but generally the losses are trivial, especially if you don't use your laptop all day long and have greater than 100A battery capacity and solar to match.

Electronics seem to be standardizing on USB C form factor, which will make straight-from-the-car-battery charging even easier.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2022, 04:07 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran (Now Navistar)
Engine: DT444E (7.3L) International
Rated Cap: 31,800 pounds
Don't forget that every one of those USB outlets is a parasitic draw whether it has a device plugged in or not. Best to buy the type with a built in on/off switch or install a switch near the USB in the supply circuit.
We've done so much, for so long, with so little, we now do the impossible, overnight, with nothing. US Marines -- 6531, 3521. . . .Ret ASE brakes & elect. Ret (auto and aviation mech). Extra Class HAM, NAUI/PADI OpenWater diver
HamSkoolie is offline   Reply With Quote