Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-12-2021, 08:27 AM   #1

1992 bluebird tc 2000 major electrical issues?

New to this so please bare with me....decided to repower my 1992 bluebird, 5.9 cummins, went new extended long block...new alternator /starter...runs if jumped /hot wired(according to mechanic)but absolutely no power to bus side,no power in pannel anywhere....currently running a single 8d battery one terminal to chasi othe to the starter many think there should be a third lead powering pannel...in my recollection this has not been the case,there is a wire off starter leading over to panel side of bus but it is a smaller gauge,ok you probably get the dilemma, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Just Horsn around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Maybe I'm misunderstanding this...but it sounds like you just haven't run a power wire to the fuse/breaker panel yet. Do you have a multimeter or even a test light you can use to trace power? The first thing to do is see if you have power coming into that fuse/breaker panel.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 02:48 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
my '93 has 2 hot leads to the battery, one is for the starter, the other for the dash and gauges.

it'll start and run with just the one starter wire attached, but the dash panel is all dead.

the first time i changed batteries, the one cable got "lost" behind the batteries and this is how i found out there are 2 hot wires.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:29 PM   #4

Year: 2008
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevy Express
Engine: 6L gas
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
my '93 has 2 hot leads to the battery, one is for the starter, the other for the dash and gauges.

it'll start and run with just the one starter wire attached, but the dash panel is all dead.

the first time i changed batteries, the one cable got "lost" behind the batteries and this is how i found out there are 2 hot wires.
Hey Turf, you solved my mysterious electrical problem today with your story!
I've been searching high and low for the answer to why nothing worked since I bought though all was good on the test drive (and worried sick since electrical issues are the worst imho). The whole project has been in limbo.
When I read your post I got a good feeling right away and went out to pop the hood and sure enough there it was - a fairly thick wire with a tip on it the same size as the clamp bolt hanging down out of sight. Soluuution!
dognamedboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 08:46 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
lol, glad it was easy! a long time ago on this forum, i made a very similar post. you aren't the first person to make this mistake.

owning an all mechanical diesel has it advantages. simplified electrical troubleshooting is one of them