Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2022, 01:12 PM   #1

Year: B800
Coachwork: Ford, with a Cummins 5.9
Chassis: F800
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Diesel
1995 Ford B8000 Ignition Help

Can someone help me with the Ignition system to my 1995 Ford B8000 5,9 Cummins. I want to redo it, and there is some funky stuff going on. If you have a wiring schematic that would be AWESOME. Please help me.

School Bus Homes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 01:56 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Collins
Chassis: NB18FD Oshkosh
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 18,500
Tell us what it is doing.

Are the problems in the starting circuits?

Is the problem in the fuel system circuits.
PhilipE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:08 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
good afternoon school bus homes.
explain more about what your symptoms are and what you have done just like you did with me on the phone last nite.
also just like the solenoid for it when looking up some of this stuff dont specify bus just look at 5.9 12v cummins stuff.
but the more knowledgeable will hopefully be here soon.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 04:12 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
want to try to keep this one towards the top until he gives us more info.
i spent a little while on the phone with him yesterday.
he says that his original starter solenoid would click but nothing happened and of course i asked about batteries cables and all of that and he said they all were cleaned and checked good.
he replaced his starter solenoid but he was given a 4 post instead of his original 3 post so i helped find the wiring instructions for it with a 3 wire set up.
and ask him to come on here and start a thread for his specific issues so the more experienced 5.9 men can maybe give him better advice.
he has a 12v with a firewall mounted start solenoid and i explained that those are universal for all types of things.
it was dark here so i just assumed(not thinking) that he had daylight and might be near his bus so i didnt actually talk him through alot of testing?
so we talked more about the basic functions of his starting system and seperate bus body light wiring system.
he does not have the vandalock all he gets is the buzzers if something is open unless his 95 ford is that much different than my 86.
i sent him what ford and thomas wiring schematics i have but they are stamped 83 and still used for my 86 so i have nothing more than that.
he also says he has put a push button in line for the ignition but i didnt get to ask which wire he tapped into and or ran a new wire from the solenoid and broke that with the switch.
he says he is in LA now but bought the bus in NC and drove it home with no problems.
hopefully this will help yall help him?
i am more of a visual hands on person than trying to visualize and explain over a phone call.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 06:53 PM   #5

Year: B800
Coachwork: Ford, with a Cummins 5.9
Chassis: F800
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Diesel
I am just wanting a deep understanding. I have it working fine. But I do want to add a push button start, and possibly disable the governor. I just do not want to start taking it apart, and then get stuck.
School Bus Homes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 08:07 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
school bus homes

you should have the bosch p7100 injection pump. the governor is inside the pump. If you fool with the pump, two big things to watch for, engine rpm - you can exceed the rpm the transmission is intended to put up with

engine torque .. you already close to the maximum design limits.

yes the transmission should take it, but you will be pushing it hard if you modify governor or pump

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
95 ford b8000 ignition, 95 ford b8000 wiring