Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-31-2020, 09:13 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: t444e
1997 int 3000 broken turn signal switch, need to rewire

Hello I've been solving a bunch of my problems with my new bus through the forums, thanks.
Now I have an issue that I can't find info for so im posting it to see if anyone could give me some advice on what to do. I have a broken turn signal switch, the brights work but the metal housing that joins the actual stick to the switch is broken and will only engage if you push or pull really hard on it to get the blinker to work. I'd like to just install some flip switches to turn on my blinkers hazards and brights instead of replacing the part. There's a few reasons for this and one is just because I want to learn how to do that and I just think it will be a cool addition. And an increase to my confidence in electrical. I have attached some pictures
Basically I need to figure out which wires to put together on the switches. One thing I have figured out is when I have just the green plug in blinkers/ hazards do not work, only the brights. When only grey is plugged in blinker only works on passenger side and hazards only work on passenger side. When both are plugged in everything works.

Teenone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:25 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Engine: t444e
https://i.imgur.com/Az3F7oI.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/e1iA6qI.jpg
Teenone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 10:27 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
Anyone working on a bus should have a Power Probe or one of the clones. They allow you to test for voltage or ground and, even better, they then let you send current (or a ground) through that circuit. So, you could touch the probe tip to a wire and send it power while someone watches the lights. A Power Probe is almost a must have...you should get one...you'll love it!

If you want to get really cool with your turn signals, once you figure out which wire does what, you could install foot switches like our Gilligs have. Once you get used to using your toe for turn signals, and don't have to take a hand off the wheel, they're super handy...or footy.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote