Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2024, 08:12 AM   #1

1999 Ford E450 removing rear AC, adding mini split.

Hello everyone.

I am the proud new owner of a 1999 Ford E450 mini bus. The bus has a rear engine driven AC as well as the front "regular" engine driven AC. The condenser is mounted under the drivers side and is vented off the side of the bus. The entire thing leaks like a sieve, and is in my sights as the next project.

My plan:

1) remove the rear AC and replace it with a 9,000 BTU mini split. The mini spilt condenser will be mounted to a custom fabricated mount above the rear emergency door, (Cutting / welding / fabricating as well as HVAC is right in my wheel house ) and will be powered via inverter so it can run off the engine alternator, the 800 watts of roof top solar (to be installed soon) or the (gasp) generator if needed nd we are parked.

2) Bring the E450 A/C back to "stock" form -- use a regular e450 front condenser, ($70 ish common auto pert) change the AC the lines back to stock form, and remove the under the bus condenser.

3) (obviously) remove the 50 or so feet of now useless refrigerant lines that run across the bus.

4) remove and bypass the rear heat exchanger for bus-heat in the back.

Does anyone (who has done this already) have any suggestions / part numbers of hoses / pipes that I may need to buy?

Thank you,

Badassloumd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2024, 08:46 AM   #2

Update

I have the bus up and running, and I have removed the under-body AC condenser unit, added a front condenser and converted the bus to have font -A/C like a regular car. This weekend I will install the mini split.

Does anyone have pictures of an E450 with the internal skin removed? I am trying to figure out where the structural bars are.

---Lou
Badassloumd is offline   Reply With Quote

« Max Solar layout | - »