Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2019, 07:28 AM   #1

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford e450
Engine: 7.3L Diesel
2000 Ford Minotour electrical problems.

I just got my bus back from the mechanic and they reported my brake lights are out. I've been looking into it and it seems like my pcb1 & 2 panels above the driver's seat don't have power. I've checked all the fuses I can see, but I don't see where the problem is.

Any help on this would be tremendous as I feel stuck in place without my brake and tail lights.

Sprite101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:01 PM   #2

Fixed It

It turns out the 150A Circuit breaker in the engine compartment wasn't quite closed all the way. I reset it and that fixed the problem.
Old 05-18-2019, 05:58 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
Electrical issues can leave one banging their head against something hard.
Then there are those who take a deep breath and dive in, until the problem is found.
Glad you figured it out.
How did you pinpoint it to that particular circuit breaker?
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:24 PM   #4

So the shop where I was getting all the problems associated with my check engine light fixed let me know that the only lights working were my blinkers and my headlights. Before I had dropped the bus off though, I had noticed my power mirrors weren't working (first major clue).

When testing my brake lights, the first place I checked was the brake itself. I depressed the brake, and I could hear the relay click whenever I did. So the brake switch was working. I then checked the fuse for the brake lights and it was perfectly intact. I checked the bulbs and the bulbs were fine as well. I checked all the harnesses and wiring to make sure there weren't any loose or bad connections, and everything was fine. But when I realized my taillights weren't coming on as well, I figured the problem had a little less to do with the brake system.

Then I remembered the problem I had with my power mirrors, which run off the same fuse panel as the brake light power. I listened to hear if the solenoid clicked on whenever I turned the ignition, and sure enough it did, so I was relatively sure that wasn't the issue.

I had previously fried the fuse on my multi meter when I was working on the AC system, so I didn't have a working one at hand. I had just dropped $2800 on my repairs, so the less money I spent fixing this problem, the better. I decided to test the circuit with some of the LED lights that I hadn't yet installed in the overhead areas do see if I was getting power through the solenoid. Sure enough I wasn't.

Now I spent an inordinate amount of time looking for a 35A breaker that someone had mentioned in another thread, and I could never find it. I had already looked at the 150A breaker, and it looked like it was closed, so I ignored it. After futzing around forever trying everything else, I decided it was worth a shot to reset the 150A breaker. I mean, what could it hurt?

And Bingo, tail lights, power mirrors and brake lights were back on.

Likely cause was a short from the AC circuit which I had removed the hardware for. Occasionally I bump my shoulder on the AC switches on the overhead panel. I need to remove the fuses for those circuits and disconnect the switches so that never happens again.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Thomas 4 window w/lift
Chassis: G30~Chevy cutaway
Engine: 5.7/350 Chevy Vortec
Rated Cap: Just me and my "stuff"?
peteg59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake lights, ele, tail lights