Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

2005 Chevy 3500 Short Bus Starter issue

Why is my 2005 Chevy Express 6.6 Duramax turbo short bus starts on its own with the key turned on?

DogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 12:10 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Swap the starter relay for a known good one and see what happens. Sounds like the relay is fried and remains closed allowing starting with key on.

John
Old 03-03-2019, 09:17 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks John sorry the correct thing is when the key is out of the ignition. Can you let me know where the starter relay is?
Old 03-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Maybe I am thick in the head, well not maybe, but the bus starts without the key in the ignition? What does that, remote start? Or is the ign switch staying in the start position with the key out? That is a pretty strange condition. How long has it been acting like that and does everything else act normal? Do you drive it like that? Can you stall it at all?

To find the starter relay trace wire back from the starter solenoid and you should find it in one of those black plastic fuse boxes or under the dash.
Pull the covers on all your fuse boxes and the directory might tell you where the relay is if it is that particular box.

Should be Duramax drawings out there online or someone here who has one might better direct you.

John
Old 03-03-2019, 10:09 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Hello John for what I have so far is the Bendix in the solenoid may be sticking in the flywheel or the starter relay could be the issue. The issue is when the key is out of the ignition when in park on the driveway battery fully charged the starter will engage on its own and attempt to starter the engine stop and repeat process over and over again. Basically, the Bendix spins the flywheel draining the battery. The engine does not start but is attempting to. Sorry if I didn't explain it better. Question is how do you troubleshoot this from what point a) wiring, b) relay, c) solenoid?
Old 03-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #6
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogHouse View Post
Hello John for what I have so far is the Bendix in the solenoid may be sticking in the flywheel or the starter relay could be the issue. The issue is when the key is out of the ignition when in park on the driveway battery fully charged the starter will engage on its own and attempt to starter the engine stop and repeat process over and over again. Basically, the Bendix spins the flywheel draining the battery. The engine does not start but is attempting to. Sorry if I didn't explain it better. Question is how do you troubleshoot this from what point a) wiring, b) relay, c) solenoid?

Ok starting to understand more now, thanks.

Well, easy stuff first so find that relay and pull it out. Replace it with another the same.
That energizes the solenoid on the starter which has to be happening but shouldn't if the starter relay is good. So, dig in and find it.

The engine isn't starting because the glowplugs haven't heated up when cold, so more than likely is faulty start relay.

John
Old 03-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks John would the starter relay be in a fuse box in the engine bay?
Old 03-03-2019, 10:37 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
had that problem in my pickup one time - key was in my pocket when I heard the starter grinding over - the motor didn't start because the ignition was off - turned out to be a short in the starter
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:42 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

How did ya fix it?
Old 03-03-2019, 10:44 AM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
How did ya fix it?
replaced the starter
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Thanks John would the starter relay be in a fuse box in the engine bay?

Could well be, or inside the vehicle.

John

Tags
bendix, ignition, skoolie bus, starter