Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-06-2020, 07:39 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat C7
2007 HDX will not start with Ignition

Good evening,

Our family just completed our maiden voyage in our 2007 Thomas HDX 40'. We have done very very minimal changes so far - read, removed seats only. After we arrived home we cleaned up the bus. I shut off the electricity on the rear passenger panel and went into the house. About three hours later, I went out and wanted to take the bus to get washed.

1. I put the key into the ignition switch, and turned to first position and nothing happened
2. I realized I had turned the electricity off, left the key in first position, and then went to the rear and flipped the lever.
3. Went back to the front, and all the lights on the dash turned on as normal, and everything was working as expected for the warm up
4. I waited for another 15 -20 seconds and turned the key and nothing happened.
5. Took the key out and tried again, lights came on, but engine would not turn over. Put the key back in and turned to on position
6. I went to the back, lifted the rear engine compartment door, pushed the security button, toggled the start engine button, and the engine turned over just fine and ran
7. went to the front, turned the bus off, waited a few moments, tried with the key and nothing.

With me leaving the key in the on position and flipping the electrical in the rear, could I have blown a fuse? Up until today, the bus has been working flawlessly for the last 4 weeks.

Dan

garwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner
Engine: CAT 3126E210
Rated Cap: 33,050 pounds
It's unlikely a blown fused, more likely either one of the safety things is open (hatch, door, window) or corrosion in the ignition wire that finally hit its limit.

My bus is full of corroded wire that is due for replacement. My rear start button does not work, I'm jealous.

Simply leaving the key on should have had no effect on anything. I'm leaning towards a safety lockout getting you. Again, check all the safety gear. Doors all closed securely, emergency exits, emergency windows, hatches, etc.

Good luck!

PS, sounds like a nice bus.
bp1791-unleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 08:10 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the reply. I will go through all of them again.

1. Side door bolt is open
2. All emergency windows are closed
3. The front door opens and closes without issue

So odd….
Old 08-07-2020, 07:53 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
You have to have the ignition on in the back for the ignition to work in the front. And vice versa.

Usually there is a buzzer associated with a door/hatch being open.

Peace
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:05 AM   #5
Bus Nut

U will get used to the 40’ and 4 step trek! [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

[emoji3522]
Old 08-07-2020, 09:56 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

So after playing this morning, I am pretty sure it is the ignition tumbler itself. It will start about every 10th startup. All of the other safety items are passing muster.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0235.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	475.0 KB
ID:	47697
Old 08-07-2020, 09:57 AM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
U will get used to the 40’ and 4 step trek! [emoji51][emoji51][emoji51]

[emoji3522]

So far it has been running great. Drove it about 700 miles so far and no issues.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:40 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

So it seems that the rear window has a short. There is a section of I-15 in northern Utah that is absolutely terrible for driving. It seems one of the potholes we hit pretty hard jarred the connection. But I think inhale it figures out and the bus fires up. Need to figure it where the vandalock resides on this beast so I can remove it.

Here are a couple of pictures. We are doing a very simple build out until we figure out exactly what we want

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0214.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	187.2 KB
ID:	47775Click image for larger version

Name:	61776992043__C1D1BA65-40E1-4DFD-A029-D75DAA4D8774.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	246.3 KB
ID:	47774
Old 08-11-2020, 05:51 PM   #9
Bus Nut

You need to go ahead a bypass your vandalock system. This is done by running a wire from the ST screw on your key switch to the start button in the rear. This bypasses all of the relays connected to the doors and windows. You are effectively pushing the button in the back when you turn the key.

Oh, did I mention that the rear button works even with all the windows open? If you can start from the back and not the front it’s the vandalock system.

Hope this helps.

Peace
Old 08-11-2020, 05:56 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
You need to go ahead a bypass your vandalock system. This is done by running a wire from the ST screw on your key switch to the start button in the rear. This bypasses all of the relays connected to the doors and windows. You are effectively pushing the button in the back when you turn the key.

Oh, did I mention that the rear button works even with all the windows open? If you can start from the back and not the front it’s the vandalock system.

Hope this helps.

Peace

Thank you for the info. I think we can all admit that the wiring schematics of the modern vehicles in general was a scheme of some crazed engineer drunk on the prospects of creating future chaos.