Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2018, 10:52 PM   #81
Bus Crazy

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
2p4s? Or 4p2s don't forget fuses in each string unless those wires can withstand 60 amp..

Later j

joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 02:34 AM   #82
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post
2p4s? Or 4p2s don't forget fuses in each string unless those wires can withstand 60 amp..

Later j
Oops, you are right. The panel configuration will be 2S4P, and yes, each of the four strings will have a 30A fuse. Otherwise, it looks okay? Thanks again for your help Joe.
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:34 AM   #83
Bus Nut

So... November will mark six months that the battery pack has been operational in the garage. I am still not pushing the pack very hard; still just running the garage fridge, occasional power tools and shop vac. I have had zero issues with the pack, inverter, BMS units, or any other part of the system.

Here in the next few weeks, I hope to get my solar panel mounting hardware and roof "real estate" plan finalized. I am also currently finalizing the interior mounting scheme for the indoor mini split unit.

If only I hadn't been so "bus lazy" this summer I could have done some spray foam, and even installed the wood stove. I could have had a nice warm bus to work in this winter. Maybe it's not too late...
Old 10-31-2018, 10:37 AM   #84
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
You're definitely "going the distance".
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 10:42 AM   #85
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
You're definitely "going the distance".
Nice... I wonder how many folks will "get" your comment.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #86
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Corbeil
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Ford PowerStroke Diesel 6.0
Rated Cap: GVWR 11,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
Nice... I wonder how many folks will "get" your comment.
He's going for speed.
weboughtabus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 07:34 PM   #87

How are you liking the BMS unit? How does it compare to packs that were not under the BMS? Notice any difference? I have a few Volt 2KW packs (44v) and was thinking about hooking up 3 to one a BMS as a test. Thanks
Solardad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:21 AM   #88
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solardad View Post
How are you liking the BMS unit? How does it compare to packs that were not under the BMS? Notice any difference? I have a few Volt 2KW packs (44v) and was thinking about hooking up 3 to one a BMS as a test. Thanks
Those BMS units are fantastic, and I strongly recommend them for your Volt batteries. I recently ordered a 5th BMS and BT dongle to keep as a spare. I have had no problems with the 4 units I am running but I wanted to have a spare available...

Rick's disclaimer: The battery pack is in daily use but generally only under light loads, and I charge the pack thru the Magnum inverter (no solar yet).

The BT dongle and App can be a bit quirky sometimes, but cycling the phone's BT off-on is the most I've had to do. Having the phone app is IMO the only way to go. It provides excellent monitoring capability, and the ability to set key parameters.

I have the BMS units set to balance the cells to 0.02V, and have seen the BMS actively balance cells within a batt (rarely...). I have tested the BMS's ability to protect cells from overcharging, as well as shut the packs down for under voltage. All 4 units are performing as they should.

Regarding your other questions, running any Lithium battery pack without a BMS is like playing Russian Roulette... The batteries really should be managed at the cell level. A 12S pack may be at 44V, but if one of those 12 cells is at 3V and another is at 5V, that would be bad...

Based on my research and my own experience, Chevy Volt batteries tend to stay well balanced, however, while the risk of an imbalance may be low, the consequences of an imbalance are too high to accept that risk.
Old 12-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #89

Thanks for your feedback. In general this thread has really helped out with my project.

As for the number of packs being monitored by a single BMS. How well does that work or maybe the question is how does it work..? Appears you have both monitoring wires tying into the BMS lead wire? Does the BMS just take the average of the two cells from the respective packs being monitored? Could you save on the number of BMSs needed if you tied more cells from packs like 3 or 4? Or does that increase the risk or effectiveness of the balance function?

Also I was looking as the solder wire connectors between the BMS and the Volt BMS wire.
Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Sopoby-Connec...nk+with+solder

What is the connector that you used? I couldn't figure it out from the pictures.

Thanks again
Old 12-07-2018, 07:03 AM   #90

Thanks for the info. This thread has been really helpful in my own battery bank setup.

Couple of follow-up questions.

On the number of cells being monitored by a single BMS how well does that work or maybe I should ask how does it work? Does it take the average of the two cells that are connected to the BMS wire? I take it you could hook up as many as you want but would lose the balance accuracy and the effectiveness of the BMS in being able to balance being limited by the charge limit?

Also what are the connectors that you are using between the BMS wire and Volt BMS wire, it appears to be a crimp connector..?.?

Thanks again!
Old 12-07-2018, 06:49 PM   #91
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solardad View Post
On the number of cells being monitored by a single BMS how well does that work or maybe I should ask how does it work? Does it take the average of the two cells that are connected to the BMS wire? I take it you could hook up as many as you want but would lose the balance accuracy and the effectiveness of the BMS in being able to balance being limited by the charge limit?

Also what are the connectors that you are using between the BMS wire and Volt BMS wire, it appears to be a crimp connector.
Based on your questions, it sounds like your intuitive understanding is spot on. The optimum setup is for the BMS to monitor single cells, as in a 12S BMS would monitor a single 12S battery pack. As you add cells in parallel, I would say that you lose "visibility" on the individual cells.

In my research and in my experience with these Volt batteries, they really do tend to stay in balance. For me the BMS's serve primarily as an insurance policy and as an easy way to check the batteries. I have seen dudes on the YT who run these batts with NO BMS and just take regular cell voltage readings with a multimeter to make sure they don't stray.

I have joked about the quality of "Chinese BMSs sold on a Russian website", and as I mentioned, I did recently order a spare... However, my battery pack with 4 of these BMSs has been in service for 7 months with zero issues.

As for BMS wiring, I used Posi-Lock wire splices. For my setup with eight 12S batteries monitored by four BMSs, there were 52 BMS splices, and the Posi connectors offered easy and secure connections. They are not sexy but they are very reliable...

Are you documenting you own experience with these batteries? If not please consider doing so. In my opinion, Lithium is the ONLY WAY TO GO WITH BATTERIES... Lead acid to Lithium is like horses to cars...
Old 12-07-2018, 07:25 PM   #92

Thanks for the info.

Yes.. I have seen a few tubers and their expirence, Mark Osbore is one I believe and he has an impressive setup mixing Leaf and Volt packs successfully for over a year now I believe.

I agree that this BMS could be considered cheap insurance. I was able to purchase two packs from 2011s for a total of 2900 including shipping. One pack is broken down into 4kw packs, two 12 series modules, heavy but I liked the idea of not messing with the cover too much protecting the individual cells. The other I just started but I am racing the weather to get my array up and running so my battery bank is taking a back seat at the moment.

Your experience convinciced me to go ahead and order some more units so i have them on hand when I do the final setup of the two pack.

No documentation at this point but maybe when I get into tearing down the 2nd pack I’ll post a thread for others to follow.

Btw the posi-twist product seems perfect. I was thinking of a solder connector but I like the idea of being able to easily undo a connection if needed.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #93
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: International
Chassis: PB105
Engine: VT365 6.0L v8 Diesel
This whole thread has been fascinating - I never considered going with lithium batteries for my future skoolie before, but now it really seems like the only logical choice for the full-scale off-grid potential I'm aiming for. My only concern at this point would be replacement - swapping out an acid battery that goes bad is no biggie, they're available at any auto parts shop, but how easy is it to find single Lithium cells if you need to? And to access the ones that need replacing? Or is that not even really a concern for a solid-state battery like these?
indigo_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #94
Bus Nut

Hopefully in the next few weeks I will finally be ready to pull my solar panels out of the storage bay and get them on the roof where they belong. Then the spray foam, then it will be time to move the battery pack and inverter onboard and get the mini split plumbed up.

The roof rack is almost complete. It will run the full length of the bus and hold the eight solar panels, and a bit of decking in front of the front hatch and behind the rear hatch.

Here is a closer shot; Superstrut from Lowes with shims cut from a piece of composite decking.

The outer rails are bolted into the cross braces in the roof.

FWIW the front hatch has also been replaced with a boat hatch...
Old 07-08-2019, 07:25 PM   #95
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird of course
Chassis: The long one
Engine: Cumming 5.9 Allison trans
Rated Cap: 71 passengers
You are a genius my friend.

I spent $300 on a used forklift battery. 21Kwh (if new). 2,200 lbs. I also recommend this route.
Camalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 07:28 PM   #96
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Jeezum! 3.5 years here, and you're off with a flurry of electrical commentary and insights!
Happy to have a proper electrician on board!
Well, on the boards...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camalot View Post
You are a genius my friend.

I spent $300 on a used forklift battery. 21Kwh (if new). 2,200 lbs. I also recommend this route.
Old 07-08-2019, 09:22 PM   #97
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfortEagle View Post
Hopefully in the next few weeks I will finally be ready
The Comfort Eagle is in the top 10 of coolest Bus names of all times Of All Times ... according to the Lady Liberty
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 10:29 PM   #98
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird of course
Chassis: The long one
Engine: Cumming 5.9 Allison trans
Rated Cap: 71 passengers
Thank you! I just now looked at my join date to see that I’ve been “lurking” for over 3 years now. I guess I should post pictures and a guide or whatever the cool kids are doing.
Camalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 07:12 AM   #99
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
iDe nada!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camalot View Post
Thank you! I just now looked at my join date to see that I’ve been “lurking” for over 3 years now. I guess I should post pictures and a guide or whatever the cool kids are doing.
Damn Sam, but you sure came charging outta the black at full-tilt boogie...
Old 10-26-2019, 05:50 PM   #100
Bus Nut

Today a friend and I put the solar panels on the roof. Once they were on the roof, the friend left to watch the Ohio State game and I started securing the panels to the racks.

As you can sort of (?) see below, the three panels (shown) behind the rear hatch are fully installed

I am finding that "basic Trex" to be of decent quality and super easy to work with.

I ran out of fasteners and called it a day. I need to make a Lowes run pick up some more hardware...I will post a few close up pics of how the panels are actually attached...