Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTrans
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
30 Amp AC Load Center Wiring Question

Hello all,

I am having trouble figuring out how to wire up my AC load center. I am wiring my bus with a 30 amp shore power receptacle, which is wired to my inverter/charger, and then passes through to my AC load center. The inverter/charger is an Aimes 2,000 watt with 30 amp AC pass through. My question is how to wire the 120v 10/2 wire from the inverter to a breaker panel load center? All of the 30 amp breaker panels I see appear to be fed by a 3 wire main line with two legs of 120v. These panels only have two breaker spots and each one has separate 120v main connection. Since, I only have one hot wire, am I limited to only using one side of the breaker panel? Or can I tie them together? If I am stuck with only one breaker it would be tough to be able to utilize all 30 amps, and Id really like to have at least 2 breakers. I suppose I could put one split breaker on ones side of the panel?

Thanks for your help.

WhiteWhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:31 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Yes you can feed both poles in a two-pole panel from the same supply.

I'm not sure about the panels with only two breaker spots. Are those the main breaker feeding the panel, perhaps? You could use either a main breaker or a main lug style panel. They're easily available with 6 spaces to support up to 12 circuits.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote