Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: B-60
Engine: 366 Chevy Big Block
50 Amp Inlets

I'm getting ready to power up the wagon with some fancy alternating current. I'm doing 50A 220V, and wondering what folks have used for the inlet (shore power receptacle on the bus).

I'm going strictly shore for starters, but may add a generator later.

I've seen lots of options like: https://www.amazon.com/ParkPower-635...0+amp+rv+inlet

And I'm also considering hanging a male NEMA 14-50 (like you would plug into the park pedestal) (Camco 50-Amp Power Grip Replacement Male Plug-55255 - The Home Depot) under the bus from the breaker box, and using/making much cheaper 50A extension cords to hook it to shore. This would also save me from dealing with a transfer switch when I install a generator, as I would just plug a female connector from the gen in when I was off shore power. Note that this would also prevent live AC from ever existing on a MALE plug (with the exposed terminals making that an extraordinarily bad idea).

So, let me know what you guys have done/would do.

Finchwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 03:43 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i have a place to store the cord so i just hardwired the cord to the bus. the inlet and extra receptacle just about doubled the cost of the cord, so i passed.
Old 07-10-2017, 04:06 PM   #3
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Mine too, is hardwired. It comes out of a hole in the bottom of a basement box thru one of those large 6" plastic port-inspection hatch things you see on kayaks- about $15 on ebay. screw cover from below, inverted when on road.

Click image for larger version

Name:	port hatch.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	14753
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: AMTRAM
Chassis: INT
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: Big Girl
I used this, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E3V9WQ/ it a really nice plug and I had it installed and wired up in 5 mins just use a hole saw to punch the hole. It's 50a twist lock.
bigskypc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
I have done it both ways.

Personally, I like having the inlet and being flexible as to where I stow the shore power cord. Unfortunately, that also gives you opportunities to loose your shore power cord.

The one I am working on now has the inlet and I don't think I will ever install a hard wired cord again.

It is very much personal preference.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: B-60
Engine: 366 Chevy Big Block
Thanks for the input everybody. I decided to go with a 14-50 plug hanging out of the bottom of the bus for now. Since I'm not sure about the permanent arrangement we will want, and this is entirely reversible, I figure it's $15 well spent. And it will be very quick going in, as I already have the port cut for the rest of my wiring to pass through the floor there.
Finchwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 12:47 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
I have a 20 amp inlet, and it's awesome and aethetically pleasing! Since I got some solar on my roof and 20a extension cords are dime a dozen, I figure I wouldn't need to worry about losing my shore cable. I debated for awhile, but I just didn't want to make space for a hardwired bus cable, UNLESS it was on a spring loaded spool, that would be cool! Also, I would hate to have to replace a shore cable that was hard wired, even if it's not very likely.
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 04:26 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
i've had campers both ways too. stow the cord or cord attached.

as stated earlier, i stand in the cord attached camp. i'd rather drag home the remants of my cord over it being gone completely.