Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2021, 07:00 PM   #1

98’ international 3800 dash lights not coming on!

I have a 1998 international 3800 t444e. I assumed that the bulbs for the gauges were blown because all the fuses look good. The gauges started working intermittently so pulled the instrument cluster out and re-soldered the main connector and now all the gauges are working perfect except for the lights that I even replaced with new led bulbs while I had the cluster out.

The instrument cluster lights are not coming on even with new bulbs. I also noticed the “wait to start” light is no longer coming on. The fuses next to the glove box all look good and the head lights turn on and off but no dash lights 🤷*♂️. What am I missing?

Wpope86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:09 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpope86 View Post
I have a 1998 international 3800 t444e. I assumed that the bulbs for the gauges were blown because all the fuses look good. The gauges started working intermittently so pulled the instrument cluster out and re-soldered the main connector and now all the gauges are working perfect except for the lights that I even replaced with new led bulbs while I had the cluster out.

The instrument cluster lights are not coming on even with new bulbs. I also noticed the “wait to start” light is no longer coming on. The fuses next to the glove box all look good and the head lights turn on and off but no dash lights 🤷*♂️. What am I missing?
I would pull the cluster back out, disconnect the wiring and with an oh meter check for continuity on the traces in question. You might have a cracked trace.

I used to repair circuit boards for Apple computer monitors and you wouldn’t believe how a tiny hAirline crack in the board, especially where a component leg was, would kill a monitor.

Also, if you could I’d which wire powers the dash lights on the cluster connector, check for voltage there.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
I am guessing that there is a way to control the dash light intensity-- a knob (maybe the headlight switch) that rotates to vary the voltage applied to the dash lighting-- you may have a bad variable resistor or a bad connection somewhere.
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 03:56 PM   #4

Can you direct me as to where to acquire a manual? I have been searching for a manual that includes the wiring other than the engine service manual that I keep coming across. The local Cumberland international said they don’t know where to get one and the best bet would be to google it.

I pulled the instrument panel back out but I don’t know which is the trace and what the ohms should be reading.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorchDog View Post
I am guessing that there is a way to control the dash light intensity-- a knob (maybe the headlight switch) that rotates to vary the voltage applied to the dash lighting-- you may have a bad variable resistor or a bad connection somewhere.
How could I test the headlight knob? Just replace it and chase the wires as far as I can looking for an interruptions in the wire?
Old 12-13-2021, 06:38 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpope86 View Post
Can you direct me as to where to acquire a manual? I have been searching for a manual that includes the wiring other than the engine service manual that I keep coming across. The local Cumberland international said they don’t know where to get one and the best bet would be to google it.

I pulled the instrument panel back out but I don’t know which is the trace and what the ohms should be reading.
Direction-> search button

Cluster repair manual

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/s...ter-35929.html
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:51 PM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT 466 Mech. Spicer 5 speed
Rated Cap: 34
Should be able to go to the headlight switch and use a test light to find which terminal feeds the cluster lights. One of the terminals on the headlight switch should vary the brightness of your test light while it is connected to that terminal. If that terminal does not work, you can jumper 12 volts from one of the other terminals, and make the cluster light up at full brightness. OR--you may find that you have a broken connection between that terminal and your cluster.
PorchDog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gauge lights, instrument panel lights, wait to start light, wiring diagram