Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2021, 02:14 PM   #1

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E, International 3800/ AT545
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
99 International 3800 Circuit Schematics

Does anyone have a link to a full service manual for a 99 international 3800 with a T444E 7.3L Powerstroke and the AT545 Transmission. I'm looking to start the conversion process and want to identify wires and components that can be removed. Thanks in advance.

Thinwall77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 02:24 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
alot of the wiring will be related to the Body.. (bluebird, thomas, etc).. at least for interlocks and such..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 04:15 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinwall77 View Post
Does anyone have a link to a full service manual for a 99 international 3800 with a T444E 7.3L Powerstroke and the AT545 Transmission. I'm looking to start the conversion process and want to identify wires and components that can be removed. Thanks in advance.
Leave the wiring alone. What you do not need just cap the wire with electrical tape so it cannot make contact with anything.

The wiring you probably don't need, strobe light, roof hatch, emergency window, upper flashing lights, etc...
You will need just about everything else, no need to cut and remove.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 06:58 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
On my 99 FE there is a wiring diagram on the door to the electrical panel, does the RE not have something like this?

Old 12-09-2021, 07:26 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
On my 99 FE there is a wiring diagram on the door to the electrical panel, does the RE not have something like this?

they have a 3800 not an RE.. only the later years got the side door on the amTran it seemed like..
Old 12-09-2021, 07:55 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
they have a 3800 not an RE.. only the later years got the side door on the amTran it seemed like..
Another reason the AmTran is a cut above.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:02 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Other manufacturers had the doors on their FE and RE units.. and even conventional as later on.

Amtran busses were great when they were Ward.. come about 04 or so when they went to the all plastic dashes that the Fat drivers leaned on to get on and off the seat which broke then to pieces in short order.. things went south.. and continued as they became the flimsy IC… the wolfingron body units were really solid.. (other than that dash).. the RE and FE transit were decent .. but as IC they suffer the same as most other busses .. make ‘em cost less and burn cleaner which results in flimsy buses .. gone are the days of the solid Ward, Superior,Wayne,BlueBird, Thomas, and even the older carpenters..
Old 12-10-2021, 09:38 AM   #8
Skoolie

Chassis: 3800
Engine: T444EIEIO
Rated Cap: 8 window?
This is not necessarily a recommendation - it's just what I did.

I have a 99 BB 3800 545. First I removed the ceiling and exposed the entire wire loom running to the back of the bus so I could determine which wire ran where. Then I identified the wires I wanted to unhook and where exactly they plugged into the electrical panel to the left of the drivers seat. Then I took pictures of everything I was about to unplug so I could remember where it plugged in, if I had a problem.

Next I started the bus and left it running while I unhooked the rear door alarm, ceiling lights, roof hatches, stop sign activation circuit, and front/top flashing lights. The bus was running so I would know which wires affected the operation of the motor - if any. None of the wires I unplugged affected the operation of the motor. After I shut the bus off I restarted it without problems.

I did this over a year ago and still no hiccups.
mrpincher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:00 AM   #9
Skoolie

That is sweet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Another reason the AmTran is a cut above.

Having an access panel like that is sweet. The 3800 I own has a panel to the left of the drivers seat. Of course, I had remnants of spilled coffee, sodas, and food, insects, dirt that had fallen into the electrical panel from above. Yuck. All the wiring was pretty much glued into position by the sugary residue.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:40 AM   #10

Correct, my 3800 has the removable fuse panel door just to the left of the drivers seat. Unfortunately it does not have the outside access door with attached schematic as shown in 01marc's post. Looks like I'll just have to go the slow and tedious way of removing un-needed wires one by one. To reply to ewo1's post on just leaving the wiring alone. I would highly advice against anyone just taping off the wire with electrical tape and leaving them behind the walls. In my opinion that is asking for future problems when the insulation of a wire finally does rub through and ground out. Better to completely remove the wires that are no longer in use.
Old 12-10-2021, 11:46 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpincher View Post
Next I started the bus and left it running while I unhooked the rear door alarm, ceiling lights, roof hatches, stop sign activation circuit, and front/top flashing lights. The bus was running so I would know which wires affected the operation of the motor - if any. None of the wires I unplugged affected the operation of the motor. After I shut the bus off I restarted it without problems.
I know that some of these safety circuits if in the open position will not allow the bus to supply power to the starting solenoid circuit to start the bus. However, if the bus is already running I don't believe that by opening these circuits will cause the bus to shutoff, just not restart.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:11 PM   #12
Skoolie

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinwall77 View Post
I know that some of these safety circuits if in the open position will not allow the bus to supply power to the starting solenoid circuit to start the bus. However, if the bus is already running I don't believe that by opening these circuits will cause the bus to shutoff, just not restart.

If your bus is like mine, it doesn't have any of those lock out circuits.
Old 12-10-2021, 04:46 PM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 31 ft. HDX
Engine: CAT C7 250 hp
Rated Cap: 36,300 GVW
The Safety Door lock circuits are really nice to have. In my old '58 Chevy bus there was more than one time I drove off with the back door not latched -- and my dog usually warned me that things were not right!
On my 2007 Thomas HDX they also don't let you get the bus to move -- no throttle response and no gear selection.
I did disconnect some of the buzzers because they were really annoying and you would have to check all the doors/windows/hatches to find the offender.
I really like to just leave the wire harness alone -- just make sure it's well protected and secure. Reading thru the build info on my bus in the wiring section there are wires in the harness that are there just as extras -- so that if the wire for the right rear flashing red light gets broken/cut and goes open circuit - it's much faster to just use the extra wire and cut off the open original.
I have been spending a bunch of time in my shop just checking all the wires and fuses so I know what is what when things don't work right.
Next up on the list is the air brake system that leaks down completely overnight. I just printed out a schematic of the air lines -- who knew ABS brakes and interlocks and air seats and air door could be so complicated. There must be ten miles of airline in that bus!
jimmythomas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
7.3l powerstroke, at545, schematic, t444e