Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2020, 10:33 AM   #21
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International RE3000
Engine: 7.6L Navistar DT466
Rated Cap: 84 Passengers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
I think you’ll find small town folk aren’t going to try to fleece you. In any case, don’t pay anything remotely.

Be completely honest and up front about what you are doing. When estimating duration, take your original estimate and double it.

At first I’d look for small independent storage places. I’d also try some less conventional avenues like calling the used RV dealers in Yuma and also places like the RV salvage yard out there. These people might immediately say No, but ask them
If they know of a place or another person you can ask. There’s lots of wide open private land out there.
That's fair enough. I guess I wouldn't be able to figure out any of these things until I land in Phoenix and talk to some people there. I'm trying to find out what I can ahead of time to be better prepared, but I'm also driving myself crazy as a consequence with all the options and the unknowns. One last question - why Yuma?

Ronigbzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:35 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Yuma is cheaper. Lots of open land. They are used to the snowbird lifestyle.

I’d call around now. Start now.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 05:47 PM   #23
Almost There

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird 35 shuttle cng
Engine: John deere
Rated Cap: 36
The amount of work to do a roof raise is always more than you think. I have not done one but a youtuber robert at aging wheels did a series on his roof raise. Very entertaining and even with a garage, power, tools and experience it took him a lot of time. I cant imagine one finished within two weeks on public land by yourself without another vehicle for transport into town.
demoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:40 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Amtrans
Engine: 444E
Rated Cap: 84 pas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronigbzjr View Post
In about a month time I should already have a bus and move into it full time. Right at the start, I'm going to engage with some heavy duty power tool work and need a basic off grid power system. For the demoing I'm gonna need to work with an angle grinder and various other tools (cordless, but needs to be charged obviously) but more importantly I'm gonna want to use a welder. I'm a relatively beginner welder, but I've worked in a metal workshop quite a lot recently and gained some confidence, so I decided that I'm gonna try raising the roof of the bus I will purchase. With these high powered requirements right from the start and the fact that I won't have an on-grid power source (probably gonna work on the bus on some BLM ground in Quartzsite) I'm gonna need to make sure I get a basic but powerful electrical system I can start with, and then upgrade later to be more flexible - but for now I just need bare minimum with enough power for my tools.

What do you guys think would be the best and most cost effective way to go about it? Should I invest in a solar panel so I can get at least some free power? Or should I just invest in a high quality generator and worry about solar later down the line? Maybe an inverter and just take the bus on trips a few times a day to charge up? A combination of all three? How does one do the math on these things?

Thank you for your help!
Our solar system is comprised of 12 325 watt sun power solar panels, 840 amp hours of lithium iron phosphate 24 volt batteries, 3 60 amp solar controllers, and a 10000 watt pure sine wave inverter. Those are the major components. Overall we have just less than $6,000 invested in our solar system. We can run any power tool that we like including Power MIG TIG welder. However we can do the same with a Champion 3500 Watt generator that you can pick up at Central tractor for about 325 bucks. Once you are done with your demo and you're ready to get serious with your build then you might think about solar power. Ruth and I like to stay comfortable so we were running the air conditioner in the desert of New Mexico All Summer Long on our gas generator before our solar system became sufficient. We don't miss spending $600 a month on gasoline. We also don't miss generator noise. And we don't miss having to fill up the generator and run for gasoline.
Rock-N-Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:53 PM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: GILLIG
Chassis: G18E102R2
Engine: Cummins ISC 8.3
Rated Cap: 23 sits 33 stand
For several years I have used an 3 KW modified sine wave inverter running from a single group 31 bat to run the basic power tools I require for cutting and grinding. The hassle is that the battery capacity is too low for real work unless the truck engine is running.
Recently got a used Honda EV4010 RV generator (225# normal RV foot print), it is water cooled twin cylinder genset and can be used now and later installed as part of the completed RV. It is powerful to run a 10" 1 HP induction start table saw or any 115 VAC AC unit. I paid around $500. for it in running condition but required carb work from sitting.
oleman is offline   Reply With Quote