Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Advice Designing Electrical System...

Hey folks!

My electrical skills are above average but nowhere near professional level. I'm fine with both household and automotive electrics. Tying the two together, along with solar/charger, converter/charger, inverter, generator and coach tie-in is causing me to overthink the process... I think. I'd love to simplify as much as possible. This ain't brain surgery.

My design includes:

1040W (or 1560W, 520 being portable) of grid-tie panels
MPPT controller/charger
950 Ah wet-cell bank
3000W (4000 peak) pure sine wave inverter
Converter/charger
Coach/house tie-in with isolator
Generator - yet to be determined - probably 2.5kW

I'm designing both the system and loads to work well within a 3000W inverter or 30A shore hook-up.

Questions:

I've read in several places that using an inverter with 120V pass-through and 12V charging is not the best way to go. But I've seen no explanation as to why. So, integrated or discrete charging and why?

If discrete is best, are we looking at separate feeds (inverter and shore with physical (manual?) switch) to the 120 panel and one circuit powering a converter/charger?

Positives and negatives (no pun intended ) between 120V and 12V generator? If I'm only looking to charge a battery bank, 12V would probably be more efficient. 120V generator would be more versatile?

Can I have multiple charging sources hitting the battery bank simultaneously? IE solar and shore or solar and alternator.

Downsides to tying the house and coach batteries together while on the road? What should the coach alternator be rated for if tied together?

I've seen many threads where the house system can trip the GFCI breaker on the shore pedestal. Isolating a couple of circuits at the service panel usually solves this problem; this usually includes removing refrig circuit. What causes this? I want to avoid it.

All thoughts are appreciated.

BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote