Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-12-2021, 12:54 PM   #1

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genisis
Chassis: 40 ft
Engine: Cummins/Allison
Question Advice on running new wires to the rear

Hello,

We raised the roof on ours 18 inches. Successfully removed interlock wiring. Disconnected harness at the fuse box for the big bunch of wires to the rear lights. I want to put in new brake/tail/turn and run new wires to the fuse box. Can I in-line splice to the wire at the harness to the fuse box and run new wires to the rear? I have my wiring diagram and can locate which wires do what.

Next question is, do I have to run 2 wires for each light back up to the front? New lights have red/white/black. Figured I could ground at the back and not run that up.

I appreciate your help, this is a road block I have had for a while and has slowed our progress to a halt.

Adkinsclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 01:30 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
it sounds like you bought the upgraded LED lights.
the ones i just installed had the same wiring red is brighter for brake lights and black isnt as bright for running lights on mine and i grounded to the body with no problems.
but while every wire i have pulled i have also pulled a spare for almost everything just to have a backup later down the road if some reason something brakes and i cant figure out where then i already have a spare there to switch to whether hot or ground.
if i need 2 wires i pulled 3 and taped the spare to the connectors so when i pulled the light or the switch the spare automatically comes out of the hole with it.
but thats what i did.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 06:13 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adkinsclan View Post
Hello,

We raised the roof on ours 18 inches. Successfully removed interlock wiring. Disconnected harness at the fuse box for the big bunch of wires to the rear lights. I want to put in new brake/tail/turn and run new wires to the fuse box. Can I in-line splice to the wire at the harness to the fuse box and run new wires to the rear? I have my wiring diagram and can locate which wires do what.

Next question is, do I have to run 2 wires for each light back up to the front? New lights have red/white/black. Figured I could ground at the back and not run that up.

I appreciate your help, this is a road block I have had for a while and has slowed our progress to a halt.
Are the old wires damaged? Is the insulation brittle and flaking off?
I am trying to understand why you feel the wiring needs replacing.

I also did an 18” roof raise, I didn’ t have to make an extension or cut any wires except for over the rear engine compartment doors. I had to extend the door switch wires about 2 ft. Luckily it was only 2 wires.
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 09:01 PM   #4

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genisis
Chassis: 40 ft
Engine: Cummins/Allison
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Are the old wires damaged? Is the insulation brittle and flaking off?
I am trying to understand why you feel the wiring needs replacing.

I also did an 18” roof raise, I didn’ t have to make an extension or cut any wires except for over the rear engine compartment doors. I had to extend the door switch wires about 2 ft. Luckily it was only 2 wires.
I did notice some cracking when I straightened the old wiring. Also, I have already tossed the old lights. The wires that are still flexible, I am keeping for small runs and jumpers. I found the harness I need and tested with a meter, getting power. I spent the evening hooking up the back end and running to the front. I do have a front engine bus, flat nose if that matters. Still need to ground everything and hook up the front at the fuse box harness. This sound good?
Adkinsclan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake light wiring, electrical, harness, wiring