Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

am I completely wrong or is my diagram correct?

I know nothing about electrical, I will have solar a genny and shore power.

Ive tried to research for a few hours everything I may need to make this work

is this wrong?

Generator plugs

My wiring Diagram

Shore power connects to the Gen plug?

Thanks

Tbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
I'm not an electrician either, but it looks like you have the right idea based on what I've learned here. Getting all the right components, with possible growth in mind for the future, is where it gets technical. That's also where I get lost. My math just doesn't work for the watt hours and amps.

Finding a thread on electrical setup that you feel matches your electrical needs is about the easiest way to started. Nobody knows your electrical needs but you.
Old 04-15-2017, 07:36 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Usually the shore power, generator, inverter are connected in parallel through a disconnect switch either automatic or manual on the AC side of the electrical system.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Tootalltechie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:00 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootalltechie View Post
Usually the shore power, generator, inverter are connected in parallel through a disconnect switch either automatic or manual on the AC side of the electrical system.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Thank you here is a new version

Old 04-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
You're getting there. Here's a block diagram I drew some time ago to capture in a general way the things I might want to include in my build. It omits safety items (fuses, circuit breakers, GFCI) because its intent is just to portray one of the many ways the sub-systems could go together. Some of the functions can be combined (an inverter-charger-transfer switch all-in-one is a popular combination). One way to simplify is to delete the dedicated generator connection and instead simply plug the shore power cord into the generator.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 10:10 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

[QUOTE=family wagon;196942]You're getting there. Here's a block diagram I drew some time ago to capture in a general way the things I might want to include in my build. It omits safety items (fuses, circuit breakers, GFCI) because its intent is just to portray one of the many ways the sub-systems could go together. Some of the functions can be combined (an inverter-charger-transfer switch all-in-one is a popular combination). One way to simplify is to delete the dedicated generator connection and instead simply plug the shore power cord into the generator.

Thank you for that, it's very confusing to look at. I will be sitting down soon to iron all this out with someone knowledgeable, my kindergarten diagram is lacking in so many ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2017, 06:52 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbus View Post
I know nothing about electrical, I will have solar a genny and shore power.

Ive tried to research for a few hours everything I may need to make this work
There are many ways to skin this cat - all depends on what you want and/or need. Some prefer a manual approach, others an automated solution. The manual ways require you to manage plugs. The automatic ways involve transfer switches. The diagram of my system follows - it is an automated system. It does not get into the details of white/black/ground etc. but hopefully gives you some ideas.

Edit: If interested, a detailed explanation of that system and the components used is over on my blog (Electrical System Design).
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 07:11 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

am I completely wrong or is my diagram correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDOnTheGo View Post
There are many ways to skin this cat - all depends on what you want and/or need. Some prefer a manual approach, others an automated solution. The manual ways require you to manage plugs. The automatic ways involve transfer switches. The diagram of my system follows - it is an automated system. It does not get into the details of white/black/ground etc. but hopefully gives you some ideas.

Edit: If interested, a detailed explanation of that system and the components used is over on my blog (Electrical System Design).

Thanks JD have a great Easter I'll be looking into this as much as I can, looks like you have 2 legs mine will only be 30amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk