Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2020, 03:10 PM   #1
Bus Nut

An embarassingly basic blinker question

I have a 1995 E-350 Girardin bus. I replaced all the rear lights with LEDs, and I included the appropriate resistor for the flashers to prevent hyper flash. And everything worked great.

Until our last trip, when, while driving through San Francisco, I noticed the left blinker started hyperflashing. Once I got home, I checked the blinkers, and sure enough, the front left blinker hyperflashed, and the aft blinker did not come on at all. The right side worked just fine. I can't remember what happened when turning the hazards on. I pulled the panels and checked the voltage on the wires for the aft left blinker and there was no electricity getting back there.

I replaced the flasher relay with a brand new one for LEDs. This eliminated the hyperflash, but everything remained the same--front left, right side, hazards all work fine, and there still no juice coming to the back left side.

So before I start pulling wires out of the walls, I want to check with the experts here. The left blinker has two yellow wires; one comes from below, and the other from above. I understand that this is probably a full circuit that runs from the relay, back to the blinker, then up to the front, right? This being an E350, I imagine that the wire that sends the signal back runs along the bottom, right? Basically, should I check the lower wire first, or the upper wire? Since no electricity is coming back there, it's clear that something is wrong between the relay and the blinker, and not on the return (or am I wrong about that?).

TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 04:56 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quickest answer if you don't have a wiring diagram. Open the other side and see which wire on that side is getting power. If you have a trailer plug I'm guessing the lower wire goes to that.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 09:54 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Is it possible that this is just the ol' burnt out light bulb trick? If you included resistors then your electrical system probably thinks that you have old school incandescent bulbs. If one burnt out many many vehicles are designed to alert you to that fact with the rapid flash thing.
Old 03-26-2020, 04:15 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Well, I tested the bulbs, tested both sides of the bus, and followed the frickin wires all the way up to the steering column, and everything looked fine. So, I'm not proud of my solution, but it works and I'm street legal now. I popped out the front left blinker, spliced the "major" wire, and ran this new wire all the way to the back, where I spliced it to the left blinker wire for the trailer wiring harness. Boom. It works. And I'll call that good enough for me.
TheArgobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:27 PM   #5
Almost There

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Girardian Handicapped Commercial
Chassis: E-450
Engine: Ford 7.3L
Rated Cap: 9,000
A Year later: I'm having blinker problems majorly. I tried to wire all in one LED tail lights for reverse stop tail and turn. Well turn and brake wouldn't work together. So then I wired in yellow buttons for turn, fine. Then time to tow trailer. Plug worked for everything but brake now. So we wired in an auxiliary brake circuit for the trip. Then I hear of a 3-2 trailer harness for when each blinker has it own wire. So I go to pick up my brand new trail and everything works but brake same as other trailer. I give them harness they install trailer all works as it should. But now when I step on brake the bus blinkers both light. With wiring you can't imagine the headache. So any input on blinkers and LEDS taillights and trailer wiring is welcome.
mc11237 is offline   Reply With Quote